Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it! >

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Notices

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Scalded Dawg
Do you have some pictures you can share with us that are apples 2 apples with my 25 Outlaw and the Laveycraft?
From a quality, construction, amenity and any other measure you choose standpoint, Baja isn't even on the same planet as Laveycraft. Simply no comparison.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
So you installed a Imco ext box and it slowed your boat down? I have been told by so many "experts" how well a ext box will make Baja's singles go faster and it just didn't work on mine, you are the only other person I have heard that said the box slowed their boat down too, Smitty
but smitty he kepted the factory x, so now his drive is 1'' deeper. you know my 24ol picked up a lot and the 25ol from germany did too. he had the raised 3'' box plus 1'' shortie for his last I talked to him with the 600sc and was around 87 89 gps. a friends sutphen 31 single has a shortie with a propshaft height of 3 3/8'' . he is running 94 tplus from 91 without. also he has the 1.36 gears and runs a 26b1. he gets more bow lift with the gear change lower prop. he had a 32b1 with 1.50 gears.I am still working on the saber with knot right=Gerry. we have a 3'' drive height x was raised from 14'' to 17 1/2''. will be testing in a week or to. art
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

I swear the speeds that people claim go higher and higher with the amount of alcohol they have!!! With the single vee's I run acrossed I constantly have to hear about this guys/that guys Baja outlaw runs low to mid 70's STOCK, funny that it took 650 hp to get mine in the mid 70's, of course when I pace them they can't break 65mph stock EVER! +. The guys who's boats run mid 70's claim their in the 80's and the guys who run close or into the triple digits do the opposite and claim low 90's or claim they don't know so they can reel in races.
"We figured for every hour of use was 5hrs maintenance. Not fun boating" - I know THAT feeling, I find myself staying out of the boost and cruising around 60-65 more these days then holding it wide open, you just get tired of pouring money into replacing parts/repairs.
Laveycraft-Man that is a SWEET looking boat! I remember seeing the story in one of the mags or ads about how fast they will go with very little power, that is very impressive!, Smitty
Aint that the truth, everytime you hear about this super fast boat, be it a single or a twin,, It never seems to run for 1 reason or another when you finially catch up with it out on the water.. then there's always alist of reasons why it didnt run what they say... WHAT A JOKE..
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scalded Dawg
I've prop tested so many other props and right now I'm running a 30 4-blade at about 5500rpm in the worst hot and humid conditions ever at about 82gps around 700hp at 6psi boost.
I'm glad your having good luck this season with it! Just keep it at 700HP and be happy with an 82 MPH boat.....you already know what will happen if you start messing with it. If you want a faster boat, get a different hull.

Now, if I could just get mine to 80 I'd be happy. Waiting to get my hands on a scan tool to see what's going on in it. Something just isn't adding up.

~ Wayne
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"We figured for every hour of use was 5hrs maintenance. Not fun boating" - I know THAT feeling, I find myself staying out of the boost and cruising around 60-65 more these days then holding it wide open, you just get tired of pouring money into replacing parts/repairs.
Laveycraft-Man that is a SWEET looking boat! I remember seeing the story in one of the mags or ads about how fast they will go with very little power, that is very impressive!, Smitty
Thanks for the compliment I struggled with many self inflicted compromises on my boat build, but am very happy with what I have although if I did it again I would change a few things.

The work per boat hours is why I dont bother with trying to be the fastest anymore- Im done with that noise.

You are one of the few true experts here on outdrives (Dick is pretty good too) so you understand the 900-1200 HP cats with bravos what the money per hour ratio really is.

On the ocean any decently powered 28 can always go faster than the water allows 95% of the time anyway so a hull that can handle the swells and chop with a fuel efficient engine with enough power to run near the front of a fast "pack" is good enough for me.

Less practical but more speed the superlight 28 Evo runs 105 with the same 710. Super cool but its just isnt practical enough for what I do I need a cabin, nav, and entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWZkv_f4bc

Heres a 28 evo with an Ilmor 650 running with a hustler 35 in open water and holding its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjK6...eature=related

Scalded Dawg- 82 MPH is a really fast boat. No doubt you've found it likely very much faster than almost every other "80" mph boat when reality sets in.

If I were you id call it a day and just enjoy it.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thanks for the compliment I struggled with many self inflicted compromises on my boat build, but am very happy with what I have although if I did it again I would change a few things.

The work per boat hours is why I dont bother with trying to be the fastest anymore- Im done with that noise.

You are one of the few true experts here on outdrives (Dick is pretty good too) so you understand the 900-1200 HP cats with bravos what the money per hour ratio really is.

On the ocean any decently powered 28 can always go faster than the water allows 95% of the time anyway so a hull that can handle the swells and chop with a fuel efficient engine with enough power to run near the front of a fast "pack" is good enough for me.

Less practical but more speed the superlight 28 Evo runs 105 with the same 710. Super cool but its just isnt practical enough for what I do I need a cabin, nav, and entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWZkv_f4bc

Heres a 28 evo with an Ilmor 650 running with a hustler 35 in open water and holding its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjK6...eature=related

Scalded Dawg- 82 MPH is a really fast boat. No doubt you've found it likely very much faster than almost every other "80" mph boat when reality sets in.

If I were you id call it a day and just enjoy it.

Uncle Dave
The guy driving that 28 Evo knows a thing or two about trimming and driving. Man that looked like fun!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Baja555
Aint that the truth, everytime you hear about this super fast boat, be it a single or a twin,, It never seems to run for 1 reason or another when you finially catch up with it out on the water.. then there's always alist of reasons why it didnt run what they say... WHAT A JOKE..
And for those that say they're going 20 MPH faster than you - except you just whupped them - my sister had the ultimate line back at the launch ramp once. We'd just totally walked away from a 24 Outlaw who claimed he was doing 86 MPH. When he asked how fast I was going when I passed him, Amy just said "Faster than you." Oh, hurts so good! (I'm doing 76 on GPS.)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
And for those that say they're going 20 MPH faster than you - except you just whupped them - my sister had the ultimate line back at the launch ramp once. We'd just totally walked away from a 24 Outlaw who claimed he was doing 86 MPH. When he asked how fast I was going when I passed him, Amy just said "Faster than you." Oh, hurts so good! (I'm doing 76 on GPS.)
Brutal kick in the nuts no doubt.

Welcome to the 10 MPH lie.

It isn't always intentional mendacity though.

When our industry shifted from pitot tube pickup speedos to GPS's we all lost 10MPH overnight.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered

That is not the case on my boat. The Imco neutral box figured in the degree of my transom on my application for some reason. I had a 71/2" prop shaft height stock, now with a 2" shorty and box I am at 51/4"...... The 25 your speaking of must be "Wilcard" and what a sweet 25 that is..... Wish I had Mercurys help on mine and someone that could really dial it in! Good luck with your testing and keep us in the loop on your results.....

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
but smitty he kepted the factory x, so now his drive is 1'' deeper. you know my 24ol picked up a lot and the 25ol from germany did too. he had the raised 3'' box plus 1'' shortie for his last I talked to him with the 600sc and was around 87 89 gps. a friends sutphen 31 single has a shortie with a propshaft height of 3 3/8'' . he is running 94 tplus from 91 without. also he has the 1.36 gears and runs a 26b1. he gets more bow lift with the gear change lower prop. he had a 32b1 with 1.50 gears.I am still working on the saber with knot right=Gerry. we have a 3'' drive height x was raised from 14'' to 17 1/2''. will be testing in a week or to. art
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SD, your boat runs real good based on what I saw at St. Clair. If it is staying together have fun with it. Laughing about all the speed lie comments. Ran with a friend this weekend, walked away from him easily. At the next stop, he says "how fast were you going?", I say almost 75GPS, thats all I got. He's like, mine runs 78-79 all the time, how are you passing me? I just smile lol. When it comes down to it as stated previously, when the water kicks up, they are all plenty fast. Thats were mine shines, 70 in 3-4's makes almost everyone else disappear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.