Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it! >

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Notices

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
SD, your boat runs real good based on what I saw at St. Clair. If it is staying together have fun with it. Laughing about all the speed lie comments. Ran with a friend this weekend, walked away from him easily. At the next stop, he says "how fast were you going?", I say almost 75GPS, thats all I got. He's like, mine runs 78-79 all the time, how are you passing me? I just smile lol. When it comes down to it as stated previously, when the water kicks up, they are all plenty fast. Thats were mine shines, 70 in 3-4's makes almost everyone else disappear.
Hahahaha, we always call a GPS the "Lie Dectector". The guys that run 70 and tell eveyone they run 80 hate it!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 lavey 21xci open bow all stock with 2 in the boat gps at 77 mph trying to hit 80! With both tanks half full and glassy water
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
but smitty he kepted the factory x, so now his drive is 1'' deeper. you know my 24ol picked up a lot and the 25ol from germany did too. he had the raised 3'' box plus 1'' shortie for his last I talked to him with the 600sc and was around 87 89 gps. a friends sutphen 31 single has a shortie with a propshaft height of 3 3/8'' . he is running 94 tplus from 91 without. also he has the 1.36 gears and runs a 26b1. he gets more bow lift with the gear change lower prop. he had a 32b1 with 1.50 gears.I am still working on the saber with knot right=Gerry. we have a 3'' drive height x was raised from 14'' to 17 1/2''. will be testing in a week or to. art
The ext box whacked 5+ mph off my top end and killed the boats ability to carry bow in rough water no matter what prop I used and shortie would let boat blow out around 95 mph, drop the bow and try to swap ends. I think that stuff might have helped mine when I only had 700-750 hp and was running in the high 70's/low 80's but I really feel as mine goes faster it rides higher and it reaches a point where moving drive up makes it lose all it's bite, 5 blade might help but with 1000 plus ft lbs of tq I have already seen how fast you can break billet shafts when I tried them, I have all the top end I can use so I quit trying to go even faster, Smitty
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres is Quents beautiful 100+MPH 2750 Mid Cabin Open Bow.

I copied Quents paint style he on his 24 bowrider with a 710 in it.

1000HP Dustin whipple BBC on 93 octane.
950 on 91
SCX upper Sc lower.

I wish I had my hatch pad made like this with the cushion surrounding the vent as pad is much easier on the elbows.

I also like how Kevlar looks in the mold.

Thought it was worth throwing out there.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dscn4064.jpeg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dscn2380.jpeg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dscn2381.jpeg  

Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dscn2382.jpeg   Fastest single engine boat? Lets hear it!-dscn2368.jpeg  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

Oh...That was a temp trailer for testing purposes in case anyone wonders WTF on that.

UD
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Smitty, did you ever look at the bottom of your boat, the way it's designed
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Heres a 28 evo with an Ilmor 650 running with a hustler 35 in open water and holding its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjK6...eature=related

Uncle Dave
...Ilmor 625... Hustler 388 Slingshot...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lavey jr
...Ilmor 625... Hustler 388 Slingshot...
I like to under promise & over deliver.

Hope you are well Jr!

UD
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Wink

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thanks!. I wanted a fast all rounder and focused on amenities and situational awareness first and speed second.

I think you zeroed in on the ones I like minus maybe the pantera whose 28 is pretty neat and big water capable.

Yes the ilmor 710 is 700HP 10 cylinder fuel injected, no blower, and all aluminum so its very light. Idles like a kitten, screams like a 2 stroke banshee with a howl between a BBc and a lamborghini.

I like Velocities. Im not sure the velocity is a 24 degree V like the very fast Howard Bullett which isn't either- but velocities are always fast for their length- always. I also do not know if velocity vac bags their product.

Only a few of these hulls have been raced and proven in an apple to apples environment. Joker has the only race record better than the 2750 (although I don't know if they swept OSS 100% in any year like the 2750 did twice) and makes a fast light hull, but Im not sure they have the gelcoat quality and interior detail amenities the Lavey has. I can't really find lots of detail interior picts of the joker, but would be curious to see what actually molded vs whats inserted after as part of an interior.

The east coast boats typically have bolt on swim steps & windshields and west coast boats typically have them molded in.

East coast boats also typically apply paint externally to the hull and West Coast boats typically spray gelcoat in the mold process.

Ive never been interested in Bajas simply because for the same or a bit more money one can have a truly custom boat made they way they want it vs picked out off a showroom. All the ones I have been in had things that drive me nuts but I wouldn't call any of them "bad" just compromised by assembly line production limitations.

I like AT's. The 25 AT is a huge 25. People love their AT's but the 25 hasn't been made for some time now. A guy named spillman had a nice one for sale.

I run in zero vis condition you see above and although this site says "offshore" very few here leave sight of land or can navigate effectively at night in major commercial traffic areas like I do all the time.

Take your time and look at ALL the details in this class. There are lots of little differences in all of these boats that contribute or detract to living life with them.

Uncle Dave
Dave I wished we lived near each other, I use to love going on long trips with my baja back in the 90s. we put in one day for a 100 to 120 mile run to watch a US OFFSHORE RACE , here in new england. everyone else would trailer to the race. we had a high speed compass only I charted out a route and at one point it was 18 miles between cans. oh there was fog at the start 1/8 of a mile visibility wich opened up to 1 mile. we hit every can. once at the race site it was worst about 50 to 100 ft. The CC were at the starting line looking at us in there 140footer. we told them we came from south of Boston. two hours later they had the race in about 3 or more miles visibility and the race boats went off track for the 1st two laps. on the way home visibility back to a mile or two plus rain. we made it back fine. ok back to the boats I'll post my speeds as soon as we are in the water. I think the SABER HULL is a very strong hull after changing the gas tank and seeing rhe lay up.They build a solid hull all balsa cored vinlyester lots of layers in the right spots. both chines go all the way back. some people think there slow but, back in the 80s and 90s there singles had a deep X, like 14''. my new Xis 17 1/2''. which should wake up the hull. there twins were 85mph for 85 grand. they came with 502 merc 465hps one owner had his running 87 out of the box. the 500hps were faster and another engine builder on here was in one he repowered with 600s I think that did 104 and 110. I hope to break a 100 very soon. art
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Wink

Originally Posted by Scalded Dawg
That is not the case on my boat. The Imco neutral box figured in the degree of my transom on my application for some reason. I had a 71/2" prop shaft height stock, now with a 2" shorty and box I am at 51/4"...... The 25 your speaking of must be "Wilcard" and what a sweet 25 that is..... Wish I had Mercurys help on mine and someone that could really dial it in! Good luck with your testing and keep us in the loop on your results.....
so you have a shortie Great, that helps mine had just the 2'' shortie and it handled so much better in rough ocean water. yes wildcard he had the 3'' raised box. all the guys around me that have there propshafts shorter have picked up more speed and handling. Boxer the sutphin 31 has a 1200hp motor going in it and he bought back his old 26 footer which ran in p4 back inthe day and when propped right was at 98 with 800 to 850 hp. thats going to be fin ished soon. on the boxes when you go out 12'' your prop thinks its in 1'' deeper water. thats why the 3'' raised box is great you really pick up 2'' water to prop. so when wildcard did it he ended up with another 2'' shortie but it was just a little to high so he added a 1'' spacer with a total of4''raised drive but the boat thinks it 3''. I am starting high with my konrad 3'' shaft height because I can go down but not up. theres some singles running 2'' propshaft height but those are more of the step bottom boats. if you keep your boat and want more speed you could have someone sharpen your transom and chines like the sutphens have a very sharp edge on both which helps with speed. well I'll post on the saber as soon as we go out its been a 2yr project. right now headers are hitting power stairing and alt brackets. big azz headers starting to think too big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.