Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor >

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Notices

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdowns
Go with Merc, Better resale and easier to get rid of when you get ready to sell it.
I don't know the answer to this as I've never looked into it, but say we are comparing 700 HP packages, what's the cost new of one verses the other? My guess is the Merc package is significant more. If so, I don't know that your statement holds all that much water when you look at the depreciation of new verses used.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with Merc, Better resale and easier to get rid of when you get ready to sell it.
Not always. 525 mercs great as they are should have headers inspected and checked if a buyer is wise.

Tough call. Had Mercs my whole life- love em and BBC and SBC of various sizes and flavors. Mercs always treated me right. The merc 700 is really great as a blown injected big block should be.

The ilmor is a different beast - much lighter due to an aluminum block, and smoother- not as hard hitting on the bottom for sure, but the midrange and top end whallop are amazing

As C- Spray says - never a speck on the transom and incredible fuel efficiency

Uncle Dave
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know the reason.. I personaly dont have anything against the Ilmors, I was just stating a fact.
you have nothing against Ilmor because you only sell Merc stuff...???
how many hours do you have running both products??
P.S. this is the guy that bought the Ilmor stuff..
P.S.S. we did like running that Skater you finally sold with the Merc stuff...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Ilmor for President
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I don't know the answer to this as I've never looked into it, but say we are comparing 700 HP packages, what's the cost new of one verses the other? My guess is the Merc package is significant more. If so, I don't know that your statement holds all that much water when you look at the depreciation of new verses used.
the Ilmor package is more and yes it's a fact mercury has a better resale, still Ilmor makes a great product
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Having been a Merc man all my boating career(30+years), I must say the Ilmors I now own are AWESOME! Better fuel mileage , incredibly smooth and without the hassles of blower belts breaking , etc. I heard the less resale value opinion as well when looking to buy, and I feel that once people see the incredible reliability, fuel mileage and overall build quality of Ilmor, they will get where they will bring a premium over mercury. My number one suggestion is to do a tour of the Ilmor facility.
I never knew they build all the Indy car engines for Honda!
Their facility is unbelievable! Their technical expertise far outweighs mercury! Check it out for yourself before you decide!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

There are numerous people going 500-700 hrs before rebuilds with the Ilmors as well!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ilmor guys have been building engines for (and winning in) IndyCar and Formula One for over 25 years. I've worked with them first-hand for most of that time, and they are not to be under-estimated. Roger Penske has owned the controlling interest in the company since its inception, so you can draw your own conclusions.

The engine below was built by Ilmor for Mercedes-Benz when they re-entered racing in the 1994 Indy 500, and won the race going away. It was immediately banned by the Speedway... It made over 1,000 horsepower out of 209 cubic inches at 9,800 rpm - seventeen years ago. Imagine the technology gains since then.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor-ilmor500i-tm-drawing-big.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ilmor's engine assembly area:
Attached Thumbnails Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor-20100305_35_drives.jpg   Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor-20100323_enginedresslb.jpg   Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor-20100305_40_accessories.jpg  

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Ilmor's engine assembly area:
they will have their new 800-825hp engine out by the miami show. they are becoming a force in the market

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.