Notices

Go-fast for the Arctic?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go-fast for the Arctic?

Hi all, my first posting in here so might as well introduce myself. I'm a boat/engine mechanic on Svalbard, a large island way north of northern Norway. Moved here three weeks ago and coming from way south of Norway, I miss seeing boats like Fountain, Cigarette, Rinker, Formula, Donzi and Nor-Tech's on occation, like I could back home.

That spurred an idea. How about purchase one and shipping it up here?

So here's what I need input and pointers on:

We get some good seas up here, 15-18ft waves and chops are seen often and I'm looking for a 30-40ft Go-fast boat that handles chops that high in a "get-home-worst case-scenario" and still runs good in chops/waves around 5-10ft. A light and nervous all out speed hull is of no use up here, unless youre strapped in and have a co-pilot with you, and weather can turn fast so you need something that can handle rough seas and bring you home safe if need be. I'm looking for a boat up to say $100k and it has to have a strong hull with some wave crushing capabilities. Year and make is not that important, capabilities and hull integrity is more important. No cats.

Any feedback highly appreciated.

Cheers!
kimo

Last edited by kimosabi; 08-21-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

15-18 feet? Are you sure you posted on the right message board? I think you meant this post for "OceanLinersOnly.com"
Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

Offshore is offshore. If a boat can't handle waves up to 18ft if need be, it ain't an offshore boat.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

47 apache ,
50 nor tech
anything large and heavy
i don't think any go-fast boat is made for that kind of rough water at any decent speed ,
now if you said 8 to 10 footer's then i think you would still be able to run at a good speed in any of the larger go fast boat's

mike
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kimosabi
Offshore is offshore. If a boat can't handle waves up to 18ft if need be, it ain't an offshore boat.
these type of off shore boat's run 70 to 100 + mph and are not maid for 18 foot wave's ,

i don't think anything under 100 footer is going to be able run anything over 10 or 15 mph in that kind of water safely

good luck and be careful if you go out in 18 footer's with any type of speed boat
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered

Perhaps I was a bit unclear: It's not for the sake of going as fast as the boat can on 18ft waves, it's about getting home IF you get caught in it and in general having a boat that runs well at speed in choppy waters say about 5-10ft, which is more of the norm up here. I don't mention calm seas because anything would do then but it's more of a worst case scenario and what conditions are more likely to occur.

Mikebrls: Apache? Those are renowned for running good in chops right? It's something like that I'm looking for but a 47 might be a bit too expensive.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi all, my first posting in here so might as well introduce myself. I'm a boat/engine mechanic on Svalbard, a large island way north of northern Norway. Moved here three weeks ago and coming from way south of Norway, I miss seeing boats like Fountain, Cigarette, Rinker, Formula, Donzi and Nor-Tech's on occation, like I could back home.

That spurred an idea. How about purchase one and shipping it up here?

So here's what I need input and pointers on:

We get some good seas up here, 15-18ft waves and chops are seen often and I'm looking for a 30-40ft Go-fast boat that handles chops that high in a "get-home-worst case-scenario" and still runs good in chops/waves around 5-10ft. A light and nervous all out speed hull is of no use up here, unless youre strapped in and have a co-pilot with you, and weather can turn fast so you need something that can handle rough seas and bring you home safe if need be. I'm looking for a boat up to say $100k and it has to have a strong hull with some wave crushing capabilities. Year and make is not that important, capabilities and hull integrity is more important. No cats.

Cheers!
kimo
Hello Kimo. Being from Canada and having a love for the Arctic, your thread could not help but catch my eye.

I think you need to re think this a bit. I know how harsh the conditions not only can be, but actually are more days than not. I do not think any of the go-fasts offer enough protection from the elements. Your time on the water given the expense involved would be very limited. I have two thoughts. Are you up there year round ? Probably not I expect as many in Canada that work in the high Arctic fly south several times a year for an extended break. They can afford to do so because the pay is high with not many willing to live and work up there. If that is your situation, keep a go fast in a southern port and use it from time to time as you come out.
The other thought is get some sort of RIB with enclosure like the US Coast Guard uses. You could have a blast in all kinds of crappy conditions with one of those. I have had them running 70 MPH along side my Nor Tech.

Since global warming has opened up the Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic, I have given some thought to getting just such a boat and attempting that passage in a future adventure. I think that would be kinda cool to go from Atlantic to Pacific across the top of the world. The logistical challenges are huge but it can be done and I love a challenge. You might like to come along.

All the best,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Go-fast for the Arctic?-dsc_5118_edited-1.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 08-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

And $5 buks under budget for a WARM beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRayu3RSOrM
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Only two boats I would consider for that task:

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

We get some good seas up here, 15-18ft waves and chops are seen often and I'm looking for a 30-40ft Go-fast boat that handles chops that high in a "get-home-worst case-scenario" and still runs good in chops/waves around 5-10ft.

Cheers!
kimo
I was going to offer up a dual diesel 40'+ performnce trawler with a nice wide beam as the best boat for your area, but she won't go anything near fast.
Downtown offered a wicked big wave offshore boat as a choice, I'd love to have any 40'+ Apache as my offshore boat.
But our largest storm related waves in SE Texas are probably your everyday bread and butter waves.
I've heard about the brutal sea's y'all enjoy and really wouldn't want to be out in anything less than a small ship in those conditions.

See ya,
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.