Notices

Fuel tank leaking

Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I strongly disagree. Outlerlimits should have at a minimum notified all their owners that a serious life threatening prolem was occuring. Same with Skater.

Now, if outerlimits were half as good a company as some of the higherend production boats, they would replace every single one. By law they are responsible for defects up to 5 years after construction begins. This boat is barely out of that range. Tiara had a fuel tank recall in 1999-2000, mostly due to bilge water causing excessive corrosion on extended range aluminum tanks. They recalled the affected models all the way back to 1980. We as a boating community should demand higher standards instead of accepting lowers ones that will end up getting us killed in a 6 year boat, solely for the reason of saving a few pounds. I don't know how they sleep at night.
The boat didnt have a default with it. The gas does. If you poured a cleaner on the deck that ate all the paint off, would you expect the builder to repair the deck free of charge? Its not REQUIRED to run ethanol mixed fuels. It was the owners choice to put a fuel in that has changed drastically without checking to see if he had the proper tank for it. OL couldn't have known that fuel was going to change to something that would dissolve the material they use in their tanks.

I feel for ya, it definately sucks having to spend the coin to upgrade your tanks to keep up with the new fuel standards but it is what it is. I have a few diesel trucks that will be yanked off the road in a couple of years because they builders didn't install smog compliant equipment back in '04. That doesn't mean I expect them to continually upgrade the truck to meet the new changes that keep showing up.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I strongly disagree. Outlerlimits should have at a minimum notified all their owners that a serious life threatening prolem was occuring. Same with Skater.

Now, if outerlimits were half as good a company as some of the higherend production boats, they would replace every single one. By law they are responsible for defects up to 5 years after construction begins. This boat is barely out of that range. Tiara had a fuel tank recall in 1999-2000, mostly due to bilge water causing excessive corrosion on extended range aluminum tanks. They recalled the affected models all the way back to 1980. We as a boating community should demand higher standards instead of accepting lowers ones that will end up getting us killed in a 6 year boat, solely for the reason of saving a few pounds. I don't know how they sleep at night.
Your missing the point. There was no defects in the tank. Its the gas. OL cant control what the market produces or the owner puts into his boat. If your buyer of that kind of boat that cost that kind of ching, you should be aware of what it was made with.

I feel for this guy and it sucks. I can clearly understand if the boat was 2-3 years old, but its not. The boat was bought to do a certain thing that is go 100+ and they used a rubber tank to maybe save 100lbs-200lbs. To me to use a rubber tank in a non race boat to save a couple hundred lbs to maybe get 1 or two MPH is assanine, but thats just me.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
The boat didnt have a default with it. The gas does. If you poured a cleaner on the deck that ate all the paint off, would you expect the builder to repair the deck free of charge? Its not REQUIRED to run ethanol mixed fuels. It was the owners choice to put a fuel in that has changed drastically without checking to see if he had the proper tank for it. OL couldn't have known that fuel was going to change to something that would dissolve the material they use in their tanks.

I feel for ya, it definately sucks having to spend the coin to upgrade your tanks to keep up with the new fuel standards but it is what it is. I have a few diesel trucks that will be yanked off the road in a couple of years because they builders didn't install smog compliant equipment back in '04. That doesn't mean I expect them to continually upgrade the truck to meet the new changes that keep showing up.
Well said, as much as I hate big business and think the majority are crooks. There is only so much they liable for.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222

Good point, but these fuels have been around for a while now. Ethanol has been in gas since atleast 2007. That would of been year 2 on his boat, and should have been recalled IMO. Don't expect quality standards to improve much if we aren't going to hold these kind of builders up to a higher standard.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bada-bing
Believe me ,after 25 years of boatingi know boats constantly break .The issue is that they chose that type of tank because they wanted a 39 foot boat that could run 100 miles an hour! If they put an aluminum tank in ,the top end numbers would have make the boat harder to market.To me ,that was a chance that they took,that did not pan out.
I just did a tank and there not that heavy . I think all the OL's are getting aluminum now.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 08-05-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know if Outerlimits should or should not pay for this, but what does this say about their engineering? I would be disappointed if this was my boat. The reason you buy an Outerlimits is that you didn't want a Bayliner. If I was building a boat in 2007, durability of the fuel tank with ethanol fuels would have been way up there on the priority list.
Outerlimits builds a beautiful, high tech boat, but they missed the mark on this. In my business, I would take care of this because I would personally be embarrased.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The boat in question is a 2005.

Fwiw, my 2000 37 OL has aluminum tanks, but it's also a heavier boat all around than your 2005.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
The boat in question is a 2005.

Fwiw, my 2000 37 OL has aluminum tanks, but it's also a heavier boat all around than your 2005.
If you got two boats of this caliber and worrying about a fuel tank. I wish I had your worries
Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Good point, but these fuels have been around for a while now. Ethanol has been in gas since atleast 2007. That would of been year 2 on his boat, and should have been recalled IMO. Don't expect quality standards to improve much if we aren't going to hold these kind of builders up to a higher standard.
Still the tank and boat was built before this kind of fuel was out there. If companies did fix every little thing, products would cost a lot more. When your computer is out of date after 6 months do does HP buy you a new one? I dont think so.

IMVHO if I had a six figure costing boat I sure as heck wouldnt be putting ethanol in the dang boat.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I cant see the tank leaking being OL's responsibility , because they did not manufacture the tank, however I think that the right thing to do is that OL should fix the boat at whatever their costs are. Meaning their cost on the new tank , plus whatever it costs ol to pay their employee to do the repair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.