Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish.  Lake Erie and In-land Lakes. >

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Notices

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
The build quality and rigging is very good. The PQ260SX is great rough handling boat, very roomy cabin and great handling. The boat does everything very well. Boat is NOT a speed demon, looking at 60-63mph max. The boats will be in your price range. Go the PQ boat owners forum, lots of information. Good Luck.
The speed thing may be an issue. My friends boats run 60s all day long. I don't really wanna build the piss out of a boat to make it do only 60 and suffer the fuel usage. Making a run from Fairport Harbor (30 min at least East of Cleveland) to Sandusky would kill me in fuel if I have to run full bore just to do 50...

Are the other boats just more efficient hull designs?? What makes the PQ top out there when the other boats don't? I assume that a faster over all boat has a faster cruising speed too??

If im wrong please correct me, I want something sleek and nasty on the water but efficient at cruising too! Of coarse with the cabin space too.

I know im needy!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel
Thanks for the opinion... I will watch the price. How are Formula SR-1s though if they are priced fair? Do they run well?

Were you talking about the 2 you PMed me??
Yes I the ones I PMed you, you could get those for a steal, SR1s are great boats, especially for the money, if I had the money to own one I would have one, but they can burn the fuel well....they are heavy so that makes them riide better... say there are 2-3 foot waves okay haul @ss, but if you are in some 5's throttlee back toaround say 23-25 knots, you will pound some but, its better for your boat that way..but thats my opinion
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered

single engines burn alot less fuel, chck fuel capacity too, if it only hold 50 gallons, then you know it won't burn too much
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Single engine would be cool for the fuel factor but since I am looking in the 30s now or even upper 20s. Most boats are twins that I find. The singles I find don't seem to be too fast (adds say 55 on gps and such).

Can you send the pm again? I was trying to make more room in pm box and deleted that one on accident. Being a newbie I only have space for 10 pms. Send and received. That sucks.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

How often do you boat inland vs erie? Gonna be tough to find a boat that will do well inland plus handle Erie on the rough days. If you only boat Erie when its fairly nice plus a bunch of inland boating my 25' Powerplay would be a great choice. Done great on Lake St. Clair for me thus far.

On rough days you will want a 28+ for sure. Bit large for most inland lakes tho I would imagine.

Boat is fairly local here in Detroit.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

More on lake Erie than inland. Only inland on vacation or when we go "camping". However I wont go out in psyco rough days unless I get caught off gaurd.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel
More on lake Erie than inland. Only inland on vacation or when we go "camping". However I wont go out in psyco rough days unless I get caught off gaurd.
Um trust me you won't get caught "off guard" if you pay attention, I use this site almost everyday to plan ahead http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw...cle.glf.le.txt
This is for Lake Erie, also watch the sky, and if you go out in 2 footers, don't expect 6s anytime soon, if you go out in 4's well then it doesn't take long to get 6's
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

I always watch the NOAA site. Way better then any POS weather/news channel!! I know lake Erie pretty well so what I mean by off guard is more... going to sandusky for weekend and having a storm build in canada and come crap all over me and having to deal with that. Gotta go home at some point. Can't stay forever lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Lol right, I know some people that went to Canada and it was calm, came back the next day in 7 footers
Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

If you plan to go that far though you need to be at a length of 30+....or else your getting to dangerous territory.... 12 foot waves occur every now and then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.