Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish.  Lake Erie and In-land Lakes. >

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Notices

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats true... I have a buddy that got a Bayliner Capri with an OMC drive... Thank god he got it for a good price. Its ok quality. Little rough around the edges (deck and hull mating) but the OMC drive kinda sucks since they are also out of business.

I am pretty open of coarse... A lot of guys pointed out some SWEET boats. So far to be honest im still a little in love with the Formula's. The scarabs are pretty sweet too... Still open to something with speed and a cabin that fits us. Not sure what the Velocity looks like under deck...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Well that scarab is going to be a couch on either side and then a birth in the cabin, and you don't want a bayliner, even there bigger boats often have a rubber rubrail, the big preformance boat brands are in my opinion fountain, scarab, formula, cigarrette, those are the most common around lake Erie, the most common expres are going to be, Sea Ray, Tiara, and thats about it lol, then center consoles are Whalers, Pursuits, Mako.. Just remember the day you go to sell your boat is also important, so be open to other boats but remember the big brands
Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigBoater
Yeah, he trailers it each weekend for about a day or so take it out, cleans it and he is done, he said it runs mid 80's and he wants something faster, i have seen it on the water its bad @ss, 3 foot waves that day and he was running 50+, I will try to find a boat like it to show you.. it say Scarab Racing on the side in red Scarab, black racing, and everything else on hull is white.. from out of the water, the hull looks to be the nicest one on the water, if I see the owner this weekend I may ask him about it, or get a pic of it for you.
What engines does he have to push that into the 80's? I'm just curious.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

...wellcraft is out of buisness formula isn't.....
Just noticed this part... Wellcraft isn't out of business?? They still have a website you can look at brand new boats. However (and not to upset anyones opinion) its super LAME that the Scarab is no longer an offshore powerboat, rather a lame a$$ center consol fishing boat.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Um no wellcrfat is gone, notice the website has little to no features.........compare that to sea ray's website lots more features, but about the motors, I have no idea, when we were talking about the boat i was trying not to get in his buisness too much, but I would guess 496 or 502

Last edited by BigBoater; 08-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

I would look at some Mach-1 boats while you are still looking. Mach-1 is not any better than any of the other models and brands that have already been mentioned but they are a very good bang for the buck purchase. They are not the fastest but they meet every one of your list items. I can’t compare all of the boats talked about but I had a 27 1993 Powequest which was a great fast boat but my Mach 1 290 that I know have is half the price and every bit as well built but where it truly shines is the ride is soooo much better. Just one more contender not to overlook.

Here is an example of an older one. Just look around.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/boa/2533248681.html
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Um no wellcrfat is gone, notice the website has little to no features.........compare that to sea ray's website lots more features, but about the motors, I have no idea, when we were talking about the boat i was trying not to get in his buisness too much, but I would guess 496 or 502
If it's a mid 90's 29'er like the one in that ad it came stock with 350's and went mid to upper 60's stock. It's also a narrow beam boat so I don't think BBCs would fit. I really like that generation of boat, so I'm not knocking it....just curious what kind of power is needed to push one into the 80's. Would have to be some big inch SBCs and mostly likely SC'd.

Last edited by ECeptor; 08-12-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered

I do not know much about boat engines, mailey just some of the more common stuff, and if it might just have some built up454's, I am not completely sure
Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1987pachanga22
I would look at some Mach-1 boats while you are still looking. Mach-1 is not any better than any of the other models and brands that have already been mentioned but they are a very good bang for the buck purchase. They are not the fastest but they meet every one of your list items. I can’t compare all of the boats talked about but I had a 27 1993 Powequest which was a great fast boat but my Mach 1 290 that I know have is half the price and every bit as well built but where it truly shines is the ride is soooo much better. Just one more contender not to overlook.

Here is an example of an older one. Just look around.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/boa/2533248681.html
Great looking boat, appears to be single engine tho :0 i my opinion a 27+ need twins, and also are thos self draining cockpits or marine plywood with carpet, self draining cockpits are one of my big things, low maintenec, lasts forever. but I can so that the plywood/carpet is al bad either, it doesnt show all of the dirt that the self draining does, and also 22 pachanga is my favorite boat, this is off topic but what do you think of yours lol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'M out

Last edited by Scarab3DMC; 08-12-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.