Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Alarm for Cockpit & Cabin Any Suggestions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259841-alarm-cockpit-cabin-any-suggestions.html)

low_psi 08-08-2011 07:37 PM

Alarm for Cockpit & Cabin Any Suggestions

So I drove by the marina today and noticed my cockpit cover was pulled back. Upon further inspection, it had been broken into. It happened between yesterday evening and this morning. I have a very valuable stereo system, GPS, etc installed on the boat. All of my stereo equipment has been custom mounted so it is not easy to remove. From what I can see all that was taken was my 2 handheld VHF radios from the glove box. They broke 3 LED light bars that are mounted under the rear seats... So total I am out about $225.00 But I am now fearful a return visit may be on the horizon. So I am looking to have an alarm installed ASAP. I only live 1 block away from the boat so I am thinking about a 2 way paging alarm so when it goes off, I will be able to meet the S.O.B.s at the boat and knock their a$$ into the water.... Are there marine specific alarms that fit the bill or would a standard car alarm made for convertibles work? Any of you have experience with such devices?

My main fear is next time, they may try and remove the stereo equipment. With the way I have mounted things, I forsee a ton of damage to cockpit and cabin panels.....

Double Rigged 08-08-2011 07:44 PM

Ck out GOST Security products. The make alarms and tracking systems that will notify you while it is happening along with being able to track the boat like lojack if they steal it. Might even lower your ins. If you want more info send me a pm.

First Gun 08-08-2011 08:45 PM

Check out the "Spot Hug" as well know of quite a few that use and like this unit

low_psi 08-09-2011 10:59 AM

I ended up buying a Python Auto Alarm system with a Proximity sensor. It has a SIM card in it that will send a text message to my phone when it is set off. It also has an add on GPS unit that will track its location if stolen. It is smartphone integrated so I can monitor it from the phone and arm/disarm from my phone if I forget the key fob. I will install myself, total price shipped was a little over $300. The service fee for the SIM card is $50 a year.

Shouldn't be too hard to install. It isn't like i have to hook up the remote start, door locks, etc...... But i may install the starter interupt.

Rookie 08-09-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3473832)
I ended up buying a Python Auto Alarm system with a Proximity sensor.

When I bought my boat 10 years ago the prior owner had a car alarm in it with motion detector and shock sensor. I look back at it now and it wasn't a bad idea. I just removed it this year when I rewired my boat.

45Tripps 08-09-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3473832)
I ended up buying a Python Auto Alarm system with a Proximity sensor. It has a SIM card in it that will send a text message to my phone when it is set off. It also has an add on GPS unit that will track its location if stolen. It is smartphone integrated so I can monitor it from the phone and arm/disarm from my phone if I forget the key fob. I will install myself, total price shipped was a little over $300. The service fee for the SIM card is $50 a year.

Shouldn't be too hard to install. It isn't like i have to hook up the remote start, door locks, etc...... But i may install the starter interupt.

They have some great stuff out now that interfaces with the smart phones. Beats the days of the keyfobs, especially for the range. I have this on all my stuff.

low_psi 08-09-2011 05:43 PM

Plus, If I hook up the remote start the boat can be warmed up and ready when I get to the dock:lolhit:

OL40SVX 08-09-2011 08:38 PM

http://www.pogoalarms.com/

Mackattack 08-09-2011 08:44 PM

My German shepherd is the best alarm I have ever owned.

PARADOX 08-09-2011 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 3474568)
My German shepherd is the best alarm I have ever owned.

Ditto.
My boys at work. :)
Attachment 454187