Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any Wellcraft Nova 3 owners (past or present) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/259856-any-wellcraft-nova-3-owners-past-present.html)

MEANGREEN231 08-08-2011 11:43 PM

Any Wellcraft Nova 3 owners (past or present)

I am on the tail end of a full restoration of a 1986 Nova 3. My question is......The boat from Welly came with 23p cleavers. The original owner had 23p Michiganwheels on it. After lots of research seemed to me that 21p was better for all-round performance. Twin merc 350/260, factory thru hulls and trim tabs.

I ran it with the 23p Mchigans on it and she only turned about 3800rpms. I have the original magazine review and test and originally these boats ran 63mph@4600rpms. So I tossed on the new 21p and still wound up right around 3,800rpms. The boat jumps out of the hole gets on plane in a hurry then just wont rev out no matter how hard I push on the sticks. I am thinking fuel delivery issues or timing.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

phragle 08-09-2011 12:40 AM

how old and tired are the motors and how dry is the boat?

Randy Nielsen 08-09-2011 02:28 AM

I have a 84 nova 2 26ft with twin 350s that needs restoring I was looking to sell it but might sell parts both motors are good just needs a port transom assy & upper drive to hit the water. Btw it runs 23p mirages.pm me if you want any other info

jbraun2828 08-09-2011 08:35 AM

I had a nova 2 with the same set up. I spun 21p 3 blade cleavers to about 4400 and 58-59mph. Something's up if you changed pitch and didn't see any rpm diff. Are throttle cables new and adjusted right?

MEANGREEN231 08-09-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3473496)
how old and tired are the motors and how dry is the boat?

Boat is dry as the desert it lives in. Boat is an AZ boat never kept in the water, always yanked out every day and drained(original owner did this as well).

The motors are tight good compression and they were replaced a few years back. Like I said she jumps out of the water onto plane in a hurry and then just stops at about 3700-3900rpms. Give or take a few.

MEANGREEN231 08-09-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 (Post 3473670)
I had a nova 2 with the same set up. I spun 21p 3 blade cleavers to about 4400 and 58-59mph. Something's up if you changed pitch and didn't see any rpm diff. Are throttle cables new and adjusted right?

Thats what I am trying to figure out....I have thrown a heap of money at the bringing it up to date in appearance. I just don't want to randomly replace other things that don't need it. I am thinking fuel pumps, filters, water seperators and maybe a good rebuild kit for both carbs. The boat has sat for along time while getting a facelift(also previous owner had not used it for over a year), and possible some stuff went to hell while not in use......I had to change both raw water impellers after the first outing due sitting and drying out, the boat decided to run hot on me.

I thought it was overpropped when I bought it that was why I stepped down to a 21p, when I re-gelled and reupholstered the boat. But after a wet test and saw very slight RPM change, which can be written off to temperature, wind speed and the fact that I had one extra soul on board. What I am finding hard to swallow is that both motors are within a few RPMs of easch other when topped out. Is it really possible that throttle cables of fuel/spark issues would cause this?

I just can't believe it would be overpropped that bad even if the motors were a little tired!

MEANGREEN231 08-09-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen (Post 3473509)
I have a 84 nova 2 26ft with twin 350s that needs restoring I was looking to sell it but might sell parts both motors are good just needs a port transom assy & upper drive to hit the water. Btw it runs 23p mirages.pm me if you want any other info

Ugh, no thanks....The Nova 3 I have was a fun project and rewarding as everyone loves the end result. But I don't want nor could afford a part 2! The wife would throw me out of the house!

VitaminE 08-09-2011 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MEANGREEN231 (Post 3474317)
Is it really possible that throttle cables of fuel/spark issues would cause this?

I just can't believe it would be overpropped that bad even if the motors were a little tired!

You bet. That's the first thing I thought when reading too. Always start diagnosing with the easiest/cheapest part/adjustment and cross your fingers!!

Pull the air cleaners off, push the throttles all the way forward and see if the butterflies are open completely.

spazboz 08-09-2011 11:29 PM

When I first bought my Nova II I had the same issue. Had to rebuild the carbs.

MEANGREEN231 08-10-2011 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by VitaminE (Post 3474673)
You bet. That's the first thing I thought when reading too. Always start diagnosing with the easiest/cheapest part/adjustment and cross your fingers!!

Pull the air cleaners off, push the throttles all the way forward and see if the butterflies are open completely.

That'll be one of the first things I check on my next week-end. Thanks.