Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish.  Lake Erie and In-land Lakes. >

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Notices

Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Boat For Under 25-grand-ish. Lake Erie and In-land Lakes.

So we "have" a 21-6 Thunderbird Formula 3 LS... Its an awesome boat on the trailer... Thats as far as its gotten because I cant get the title from the prior owner. I took it with down payment and when i went to fork the cash over he keeps FLAKING on me with the title. I think he doesnt have it. So I am probably going to abandon this one! My wife says she would be more comfortable buying a nice boat when her car is payed off in a year or so... Perhaps sooner? She doesnt want to sink money into this one, rather she says lets pay the 350$ a month on a boat instead.

SOOO here in lies the question... What boat is the best for under 25 grand or around there? I dont have a lot of needs but we have 3 young kids. 3, 5, and 7 (rounded up to closest ages). So there are some things that are a MUST.
  • I would like to be able to hang with friends so being able to break 50-60mph would be VERY nice!
  • Motor size isnt super important but I would like to be able to afford a Cleveland to Sandusky run (probly rules out 502s)
  • Cuddy is a MUST for the kids to chill and maybe even watch tv
  • Potty is a must head or porta and im happy.
  • has to have a place to SIT in the cuddy, not just a bed.
  • kickin stereo to listen to music on.
  • NO outboard boats
  • Has to be able to have place to tow tubes and wakeboards so a swim platform is a must
  • Just became a first time Harley owner and am now deaf so it must me loud when i want it to so i can make sure its still running HAHAHA

Other things i would like are, shore power hook, a pump out head would be nice, a trailer, and other small things that make life easier that i may have forgotten to mention.

Anyone have suggestions or personal opinions?

Im sure if it was a bit over 25k it would be ok but not too far.

Thanks guys/girls

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 08-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Baja 260 can be had well below that price. I had one with a 454 330hp. Ran 55 and was not bad on gas. Was ok on Lake Michigan up to 3' then got pretty rough. Great for pulling tubes or ski, probably not the best for a wake board.

Baja 25OL and 272 can be found around that range. Will run in the 60's range with 454 mags.

All of these have cuddys, porta, stereo can be done, thru hull exhaust, and probably shore power.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

This screen name is REALLY familiar. Do you post on bodybuilding.com, by chance?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chris@uga
This screen name is REALLY familiar. Do you post on bodybuilding.com, by chance?
No, i am the anti-bodybuilder... I think i could bench like 150 HAHA! I think there is some dude that does curls or something on YouTube with a similar nickname. Someone asked me the same thing once... Guess he has HORRIBLE form and almost hurts himself?

I use the DieselWeasel SN because i have a almost 1k tq Dodge Ram Diesel.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Baja 260 can be had well below that price. I had one with a 454 330hp. Ran 55 and was not bad on gas. Was ok on Lake Michigan up to 3' then got pretty rough. Great for pulling tubes or ski, probably not the best for a wake board.

Baja 25OL and 272 can be found around that range. Will run in the 60's range with 454 mags.

All of these have cuddys, porta, stereo can be done, thru hull exhaust, and probably shore power.
Sweet! Thanks for the suggestions! Some of those Bajas on CraigsList are sharp!

As for the cuddy that all would be great! I heard if it has a head you can write it off as a second home or something??

This is a SWEET "floorplan" for a cuddy on this Scarab - http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2531171245.html

I like the "sectional couch" look. LOL!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel

As for the cuddy that all would be great! I heard if it has a head you can write it off as a second home or something??

This is a SWEET "floorplan" for a cuddy on this Scarab - http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2531171245.html

That boat belongs to a member here.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
That boat belongs to a member here.
I like it A LOT! If it were later in year or next spring i would have jumped on it!!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

I'd look a Powequest 260SX, you can't beat that boat for the $$. Does everything very well, not the fastest but handles the rough and the ride is great. It meets all your needs listed.

Good Luck

So we "have" a 21-6 Thunderbird Formula 3 LS... Its an awesome boat on the trailer... Thats as far as its gotten because I cant get the title from the prior owner. I took it with down payment and when i went to fork the cash over he keeps FLAKING on me with the title. I think he doesnt have it. So I am probably going to abandon this one! My wife says she would be more comfortable buying a nice boat when her car is payed off in a year or so... Perhaps sooner? She doesnt want to sink money into this one, rather she says lets pay the 350$ a month on a boat instead.

SOOO here in lies the question... What boat is the best for under 25 grand or around there? I dont have a lot of needs but we have 3 young kids. 3, 5, and 7 (rounded up to closest ages). So there are some things that are a MUST.
  • I would like to be able to hang with friends so being able to break 50-60mph would be VERY nice!
  • Motor size isnt super important but I would like to be able to afford a Cleveland to Sandusky run (probly rules out 502s)
  • Cuddy is a MUST for the kids to chill and maybe even watch tv
  • Potty is a must head or porta and im happy.
  • has to have a place to SIT in the cuddy, not just a bed.
  • kickin stereo to listen to music on.
  • NO outboard boats
  • Has to be able to have place to tow tubes and wakeboards so a swim platform is a must
  • Just became a first time Harley owner and am now deaf so it must me loud when i want it to so i can make sure its still running HAHAHA

Other things i would like are, shore power hook, a pump out head would be nice, a trailer, and other small things that make life easier that i may have forgotten to mention.

Anyone have suggestions or personal opinions?

Im sure if it was a bit over 25k it would be ok but not too far.

Thanks guys/girls
Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

PBAM wants to sell his Skater and wants a NorTech, pm me and Ill get you his number.. JJ
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Default not that great

Well the cuddy is good but look at the cockpit..... its cool and all but its terrible......that long helm seat means everytime you need to move, so do the other 3 people beside you, or you can just trip on them..... assuming you want a go fast look for drop out bolsters, they seem to have the best set up for moving around the cockpit....but that is my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.