Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone heard of Daddyo's Marine Engines? >

Anyone heard of Daddyo's Marine Engines?

Notices

Anyone heard of Daddyo's Marine Engines?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of Daddyo's Marine Engines?

Hello Everyone, I am looking for a complete gen IV 454 engine. I ran across these guys. Daddyo's Marine Engines in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. If anyone has any input on their engines and service, I would greatly appreciate hearing it before I decide to deal with them. Also, if anyone has a complete or drop-in for sale, let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

DaleSC
Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked into them when I needed a small block for my volvo Duro prop, I actually work about 6 blocks from them in Pompano so I went over there, low low prices, have you paid a visit? If you like P.M. me your cell number.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Registered

You get what you pay for. RUN.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been some threads on them in the past, I dont remember the details, but it wasnt good.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Where do I start about Daddyo's Marine. bought a re-manufactured 350 CI 260hp engine back in April of 2007.
Started having a problem in August of 2010. Just boat another boat and let the boat with this engine sit, had it winterized by my marina for the winter. They told me they had water in the #8 cylinder and a little water in a few others. A few weeks ago I had interset in this boat, so I had the mechanics check it out, They told me the engine was full of water, wouldn't turn over. Had the engine pulled and planned on having it rebuilt. The re-builders said this 350 block had 305 pistons, and 305 heads. The gaskets barely did thier job, well until last summer. Also found holes in the intake manifold! Had to throw away the block and heads and start fresh. So much for a $4,500.00 engine only 3 seasons old. When I tried to talk to the manager at DaddyO's Marine he got mad at me for calling him, "he was very busy". Hung up on me ! Every time I called back he wouldn't even talk to me. So much for customer service. I would definitely report them to the BBB, but thier not associated with the BBB, I see why not. I would advise anyone to look elsewhere for a good quality engine.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJBoater
Where do I start about Daddyo's Marine. bought a re-manufactured 350 CI 260hp engine back in April of 2007.
Started having a problem in August of 2010. Just boat another boat and let the boat with this engine sit, had it winterized by my marina for the winter. They told me they had water in the #8 cylinder and a little water in a few others. A few weeks ago I had interset in this boat, so I had the mechanics check it out, They told me the engine was full of water, wouldn't turn over. Had the engine pulled and planned on having it rebuilt. The re-builders said this 350 block had 305 pistons, and 305 heads. The gaskets barely did thier job, well until last summer. Also found holes in the intake manifold! Had to throw away the block and heads and start fresh. So much for a $4,500.00 engine only 3 seasons old. When I tried to talk to the manager at DaddyO's Marine he got mad at me for calling him, "he was very busy". Hung up on me ! Every time I called back he wouldn't even talk to me. So much for customer service. I would definitely report them to the BBB, but thier not associated with the BBB, I see why not. I would advise anyone to look elsewhere for a good quality engine.
Well I would not use your current rebuilder if this is what they told you. You could not put a 305 piston in a 350 and have it run PERIOD. I am out of the engine building business now but was in it for years before. Have personally assembled 8 engines in 1 day during the peak. There was a time when using 305 heads on 350's was very common due to the "improved cooling" heads that GM started using in the 80's that were very prone to cracking. So we would use an extra deep dish piston in the 350 to keep compression in check and install the later model 305 heads. In many cases these were actually better that the 350 heads since they often included 1.84 intake valves compared the the small valve 350's which had 1.72 intake valves. Now I would not suggest this for a high perf marine motor, but for a stock replacement it is not a bad deal. The 305 heads were much more durable and resistant to cracking when over heated than that generation of 350 head.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
Well I would not use your current rebuilder if this is what they told you. You could not put a 305 piston in a 350 and have it run PERIOD. I am out of the engine building business now but was in it for years before. Have personally assembled 8 engines in 1 day during the peak. There was a time when using 305 heads on 350's was very common due to the "improved cooling" heads that GM started using in the 80's that were very prone to cracking. So we would use an extra deep dish piston in the 350 to keep compression in check and install the later model 305 heads. In many cases these were actually better that the 350 heads since they often included 1.84 intake valves compared the the small valve 350's which had 1.72 intake valves. Now I would not suggest this for a high perf marine motor, but for a stock replacement it is not a bad deal. The 305 heads were much more durable and resistant to cracking when over heated than that generation of 350 head.
Agreed,

Ran 305 TPI heads on my 383 in my chevelle.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

I would run in the other direction . I had a scarab they built three motors for not one ran for more than 5-6 hours. I was young and dumb. Don't give that guy your hard earned money. He's a piece of crap !!! The guy takes car motors from the junk yard paints them and sells them as marine . Ive heard more stories then I care to . The laws in Florida don't protect the customer . I still dont know how he's still in business or alive!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

i know a little about engines, I'm sure they 350 block/305 heads & pistons will work just fine, in a car engine. But to make this build for a marine engine where the motor is saltwater cooled, the head gasket left very little room for nothing more than "perfect" engine building practices. This guy "the manager" was a total ass to try to deal with. NO ONE should buy the pieced together parts he calls a marine engine.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

Maybe I mis-understood about the 305 piston, the mechanics that tore down this Daddy O motor sent me pics of the heads and pistons. the pistons were 2 relief cut outs. he said there should have been pistons with 4 relief cut outs, does that make sense, fastestbowtie??