Notices

Emerald coast accident

Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by blume
Matt,

I think the law or federal law or maritime law says a boat is responsible for it's own wake or the damage it causes to person or property. Not to say people should drive there boat in a reckless manner but that goes for cruisers also. A big wake in a poker run area is a disaster waiting to happen.
Remember when the big Seadoo for dad yacht messed up some people on the C and D canal up here, a few people almost got hurt in between boats .
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Matt,

I think the law or federal law or maritime law says a boat is responsible for it's own wake or the damage it causes to person or property. Not to say people should drive there boat in a reckless manner but that goes for cruisers also. A big wake in a poker run area is a disaster waiting to happen.
Blume,

Unless a federal waterway is closed off by special permit or a local ordinance (such as a personal watercraft in a marine sanctuary), all legally registered vessels are entitled to use the waterway. If I go ripping down the Colorado River in my cruiser and my wake destroys a dock, yes, I am liable for the damage. That's a fact.

However, I am reasonably certain that what you're saying does not apply in this case. You would have to prove that the cruiser driver was behaving in a dangerous or reckless manner on a federal waterway. Now, if the course was restricted and cordoned off by special permit, you'd have a definite case against that cruiser driver. But simply using the same unrestricted waterway as a poker run? Good luck with that one.

Just because a poker run is in progress doesn't mean that every driver in every vessel on the water in the area that day knows about it. That, my friend, is one of the scariest things about poker runs—not the guys in the runs (though at times they too can be plenty scary) but the guys who don't even seem them coming.

X-Rated 30 isn't blaming the cruiser driver? Why should you? That's like running aground on a reef and blaming the reef.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

Not sure if its the same cruiser referenced in this thread but I've had issues with the same Sea Ray in Destin 2 years in a row. 2009 and 2010 we were anchored at that island between Navarre and Ft Walton where everyone hangs out. There are hundred + boats anchored out there and most people stop and idle by. Both years the same 50+ Sea Ray packed with people has pulled HUGE wake through the area. Boats were hitting bottom and anchors were pulling loose.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were on the beach where it happened - a lot of people went to the rescue - all things considered, things went extremely well, Cameron glad you and Katie are both alright, thought you handled yourself very well, I've learned a lot when you see this happen, makes you keep things in perspective
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Matt,

Only responsible when the damage is reasonably forseeable. By your assessment I am responsible for every jetski that decides to launch off my wake and then takes a digger?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow! Just saw this thread. Guess I need to spend more time in GD So glad you are both ok. Scary stuff. Ive seen friends get thrown and been the one rolling. Gives you a different perspective I think....

Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing not mentioned yet but this accident happened in a tight turn with very heavy traffic. for what it's worth we watched many big boats come through this turn a lot slower than he did. I own a cat myself & I had to answer the question, isn't your boat like his & could that happen to me. That's not a fun question to answer to your wife & friends because we all know it could. If Cameron's boat had rolled in the other direction he could have hurt many people who were anchored on the beach including me & my friends. I'm glad nobody was hurt & hopefully a lesson was learned.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

The thread starter requested this thread to be delete... I will close the thread at this time, PM me is you have anything else to add that hasn't been said already.