Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It's official..... I bought a lemon >

It's official..... I bought a lemon

Notices

It's official..... I bought a lemon

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

yep first words when i got back were "when ya wanna pull it out?" him and his father are great to me and will always open the shop up for me to use, i got everything disconnected today at work, tomorrow i'm gonna back it in to mikes and pick it out with the chain fall to asses the damage

Last edited by Unlimited jd; 08-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although you could probably tell if the motors were really rebuilt when you tear them down... It IS possible for the motor to go boom after 8 hours if you dont know what your doing... Incorrect rod bearing size (never plastigauged) or incorrect install could cause it. Although it sounds fishy. I have taken a lot of peoples experiences here and plan on being VERY fickle when I buy my boat... Mainly because it will HAVE to be an older boat so it could totally have similar issues!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
It happens. Seems im sort of in the same situation. Boats named "pig in a poke"'because of this. Had my boat less than an hour on the water. Ruined every bearing in motor cept the cam bearings. #3 rod bearing was gone. Split cylinder wall in #4. Motor was fresh, but had been bored too many times. Admittedly i am a rookie "gofast" boater, but i learned from it.

Long story short. My bad. Horsepower toys are "as is" items. Sorry you had the same sh*t experience i did. Hasnt affected my love of the hobby.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel
Although you could probably tell if the motors were really rebuilt when you tear them down... It IS possible for the motor to go boom after 8 hours if you dont know what your doing... Incorrect rod bearing size (never plastigauged) or incorrect install could cause it. Although it sounds fishy. I have taken a lot of peoples experiences here and plan on being VERY fickle when I buy my boat... Mainly because it will HAVE to be an older boat so it could totally have similar issues!
no performance boat motor should ever be plastigauged imop, use the right tools for the job micrometers and snap gauges at the minimum, and to develop a slight knock only when the throttle is backed off leads me to believe its excessive clearance from wear, it def could pop in 8 hours but to go that fast i would expect it to be a lot worse like a spun bearing or broken rod etc. we will see tomorrow any bets out there for what i find ? lol
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

That's why I buy junk cause i know it's junk from the start. Sorry for you pain.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

lmao good point
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rough story man. Hopefully your deal was smokin good and the effort you put in will make it that much nicer to have a finished project in the spring!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uhg this always scares me, good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lil red
no performance boat motor should ever be plastigauged imop, use the right tools for the job micrometers and snap gauges at the minimum, and to develop a slight knock only when the throttle is backed off leads me to believe its excessive clearance from wear, it def could pop in 8 hours but to go that fast i would expect it to be a lot worse like a spun bearing or broken rod etc. we will see tomorrow any bets out there for what i find ? lol
I wonder if the cam went flat and took out the bottom end. If it is a flat tappet cam and wasn't broken in right and with the correct oil additive that could cause the problem. The oil that is currently available does not have the right stuff for breaking in a cam, so you have to buy it seperately and add it in.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Cam is fine, tore motor out and down tonight, mains are beat and number 8 rod bearing spun, off to the machine shop tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.