Edgewater, MD boating and boat lifts weight estimations >

Edgewater, MD boating and boat lifts weight estimations

Notices

Edgewater, MD boating and boat lifts weight estimations

Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edgewater, MD boating and boat lifts weight estimations

Well it looks like I'm getting shipped to DC for 18 months for work. I'm looking at the Edgewater, MD area. I looked at several houses on the water and a few had lifts. A few questions;

How would you determine how much a boat lift can handle? Is there a weight limit stamped on it somewhere?

I have a stepped boat, would the lifts need to be modified for the steps, and if so, who does that type of work?

Is the Chesapeake/South River a salt water bay?

Is flushing required?

If I don't end with a place on the water with a lift, how is the water on a steel trailer?

If anyone knows anyone with a house for rent on the water or close to it give me a shout. If anyone has additional info about the are that would be great.

thanx
Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That high up the bay should still be fresh water although it might be a bit brackish at times of little rain. Some local guys should chime in soon. I would say a steel trailer should be ok so long as it gets a rinse after a splash.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bert4332
Well it looks like I'm getting shipped to DC for 18 months for work. I'm looking at the Edgewater, MD area. I looked at several houses on the water and a few had lifts. A few questions;

How would you determine how much a boat lift can handle? Is there a weight limit stamped on it somewhere?

It depends on the motor size, cables, and frame, but most lifts will have a capacity plate on them. I also have a guy in this area that can look at any lift and tell you exactly what it can handle and if you can upsize or downsize it if necessary (you can make a lighter boat go up and down much faster if the lift can handle it).

I have a stepped boat, would the lifts need to be modified for the steps, and if so, who does that type of work?

If the steps need more support you can "sister" a coouple of supports inside or outside the main supports. Once again, I gotta guy LOL.

We are brackish at all times. If you are raw water cooled flushing after use like in salt is necessary.

Is flushing required?

Yes, and using soap is good.

If I don't end with a place on the water with a lift, how is the water on a steel trailer?

Hose down the trailer and you'll be fine, we also have a fair amount of high and dry storage around at reasonable prices.

If anyone knows anyone with a house for rent on the water or close to it give me a shout. If anyone has additional info about the are that would be great.

I may have a few leads, do you have a realtor you are dealing with? I can recommend a couple if you need one.

thanx

On the good side we have a very active boating community here and some of the best boating in the country. Check out www.cbpba.com , many of our members live in the Annapolis/Edgewater area. If you need more info feel free to PM me for my cell and I can help you out. (My location says Edgerock, but that is an inside joke, I am in Edgewater at the end of the Mayo peninsula)

Last edited by Ted G; 08-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332

Is flushing required?

thanx
I too live in Edgewater. Great boating and live on the South River in a Community called Turkey Point Island, the bay is a great place to go boating. Have lived here my whole life.
as Ted said PM if you need any info, your best bet is to get a local Realtor and they can find you whatever you want.
I can give you a reference if needed.
Let us know how you make out and when your rolling into town.

Thanks Pat