Notices

new hull technology

Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make them slightly teardrop shaped with the pointy end toward teh rear to aid in lower speed efficiency. If they were round, as on a golf ball, the rear portion of the cutout would be acting as a wall during periods of slower speed cruising.

I like the idea, and have wondered myself why is was never tried on a high po boat.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Oh by the way starting a thread and describing here on line does not help protect it but rather actually hurts your ability to obtain a patent.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its been discussed before but did any one even try it just on pad with a skin ?? it took reggie to make steps cool again and they were around a long time...
Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a million more...
Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by quicklt1
A ball moving through air experiences two major aerodynamic forces, lift and drag. Dimpled balls fly farther than non-dimpled balls due to the combination of two effects: First, the dimples delay separation of the boundary layer from the ball. Early separation, as seen on a smooth sphere, causes significant wake turbulence, the principal cause of drag. The separation delay caused by the dimples therefore reduces this wake turbulence, and hence the drag
You have to remember that air and water does not react exactly the same. Aerodynamics does not always go well with hydrodynamics. If anything, put it on the part of the boat not in the water. I don't know how many manufactures are doing aerodynamic research in windtunnels and so on. But it sure looks like there are some builders who do not think about aerodynamics at all.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been tried. Both the "innies" and the "outies", on smaller drag boats. You WILL get ariation, but "re-entry" gets too much drag. But if you wanna play with some hull designs, play a bit with the strakes. How many? how wide? flat, angled or cancave.? All will have different results, the problem is that it's harder to make the molds. I been playing with some "strake" stuff on the Cad, but nothing final. The best option is a variable strake design. Flat and wide on the front to stop from "stuffing", concave to get you some air in the mid and flat/concave to get you lift and speed on the back. A mold builder nightmare.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone see the episode on mythbusters where the scaled up the dimples and but them on a car? They did several tests and confirmed it actually got better MPG. The original myth was that a dirty car got better mileage so the tested that theory then teched it up a bit by covered the car in clay then carved large symmetric dimples over the entire surface. Was a pretty good episode.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Anyone see the episode on mythbusters where the scaled up the dimples and but them on a car? They did several tests and confirmed it actually got better MPG. The original myth was that a dirty car got better mileage so the tested that theory then teched it up a bit by covered the car in clay then carved large symmetric dimples over the entire surface. Was a pretty good episode.
Back in the days, I never washed my car, for that reason alone. Now.. I been watching "Top Gear" on BBC and all the Europian cars gets twice as much gas milage then the US counterparts. So.. I changed plugs +5% MPG, Fuel, air, oil filter, +9% MPG, Nitrigon in the tires, +8% MPG, Fuel octane booster, +12% MPG, New CPU chip and timing chip, +15% MPG, Light weight, alum rims, +8% MPG, Disconnected AC belt and AC, installed fan at dash, +12% MPG, Oil additive/less friction, +7% MPG, Taped all the cracks on the hood etc. +6% MPG, Airodynamic wipers, + 4% MPG, new trans vacum modilator, shifting at lower RPM's, +6% MPG, Lowered car by 3" with special spring shackles, +7% MPG, Removed spare tire, rear seat, etc, +4%MPG, Put in 93 octane gas, +3% MPG, Synthatic dif oil, + 2% MPG, replaced my muffler to a HPO muffler, +3% MPG, Removed catalitic converter, +7% MPG, Installed Formula 1 farings and air diflectors, + 4% MPG,
Spent 15K and I still have to stop at the gas stations, I'm getting 119 % gas milage and I have to stop and empty my tank every week.

(sorry for the thread theft, I always wanted to post this, )
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing I thought of!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Back in the days, I never washed my car, for that reason alone. Now.. I been watching "Top Gear" on BBC and all the Europian cars gets twice as much gas milage then the US counterparts. So.. I changed plugs +5% MPG, Fuel, air, oil filter, +9% MPG, Nitrigon in the tires, +8% MPG, Fuel octane booster, +12% MPG, New CPU chip and timing chip, +15% MPG, Light weight, alum rims, +8% MPG, Disconnected AC belt and AC, installed fan at dash, +12% MPG, Oil additive/less friction, +7% MPG, Taped all the cracks on the hood etc. +6% MPG, Airodynamic wipers, + 4% MPG, new trans vacum modilator, shifting at lower RPM's, +6% MPG, Lowered car by 3" with special spring shackles, +7% MPG, Removed spare tire, rear seat, etc, +4%MPG, Put in 93 octane gas, +3% MPG, Synthatic dif oil, + 2% MPG, replaced my muffler to a HPO muffler, +3% MPG, Removed catalitic converter, +7% MPG, Installed Formula 1 farings and air diflectors, + 4% MPG,
Spent 15K and I still have to stop at the gas stations, I'm getting 119 % gas milage and I have to stop and empty my tank every week.

(sorry for the thread theft, I always wanted to post this, )
Good one

But I also recall, that dirt on the car did not work, so drive in a clean car Hate dirty cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.