Notices

Smog Restrictions CA - AZ

Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Restrictions CA - AZ

Anyone no whats up with smog restrictions for 2011 and 2012 new hulls in California, and or AZ.

I heard that 2011 hulls over 500hp no smog and then all boats in 2012.

Anyone no specifics on this, if i bought a new hull in 2012 and put a used engine(+500hp) in it will i face problems registering the boat with proper smog requirments?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure, but as I remember the law pertained to manufacture certification of engine packages, so registration should not be a problem when using an older engine package.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

the original version of the law (not sure if it passed) was that all new boats sold had to meet emissions. any older boat either newly registered in CA or resold in CA would have to be brought up the current emissions standard. if you have an older boat registered in CA and keep it registered then you did not have to do anything but to sell the boat you had to first bring it to standard or sell it out of state. not sure how it all ended up though.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
the original version of the law (not sure if it passed) was that all new boats sold had to meet emissions. any older boat either newly registered in CA or resold in CA would have to be brought up the current emissions standard. if you have an older boat registered in CA and keep it registered then you did not have to do anything but to sell the boat you had to first bring it to standard or sell it out of state. not sure how it all ended up though.

Well if THAT passed.......that would put a nail in the coffin for used boat sales.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

there was alot of opposition from dealers, etc for that reason. as I said I dont know how it ended up. they were working on lots of bill like it. one would not allow any vehicle or vessel into the shipping ports that did not meet 2008 standards. that meant that 80% of the trucks and nearly all small trucking companies would either have to buy new trucks or lose enough business to have to shut down but also no ships that didnt meet the standards would have not been allowed in. basically they would have sent all the freight to mexico or oregon. tree huggers have way too much influence on way too stupid of politicos out there.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

i just ordered a new boat won't be built untill 2012 but want to use current power that I own....I want to make sure I will be able to register the vessel.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered

I believe that if the boat is newly registered in 2012 then the motors will have to meet and have EPA certifications. I dont live in CA but that was my understanding when talking with some engine builders that sell in that market.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

I have been trying to read the code. The engine I have was produced prior to 2008 . This may make a difference I do not know. But if I buy the vessel with no power can I register it that way and then put in power. I could register out of state I guess the majority of use is in az, do they have similar laws? What's up with the EPA laws coming across all states? Anyone have a clear awnser on this because I can not find one?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Not sure, but as I remember the law pertained to manufacture certification of engine packages, so registration should not be a problem when using an older engine package.
This is what I thought I read liability does not fall on me just new engines being produced
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The smog laws basically can't be retroactive. Used boats won't be affected by the new smog laws.

Darrell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.