Like Tree0Likes

idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker

Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
CNC
Registered

My Boats: 31 AwesomeCat

Typical arrogant blow boater... I catch so much flack about my noisy, hydro carbon burning boat from them at my marina. But I would love to see them maneuver around the marina w/out there's.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Advantage 28' Cat

Could not read the posting, but reading the nav pages I found this to be interesting! Not saying my little 28' boat falls in, but first thing that came to mind was how many performance boaters know about this? Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.

Federal Law

The “Rules of the Road”, which were enacted in 1980, are contained in a book called “Navigation Rules; International-Inland” COMDINST M16672.2D and published March 25th, 1999. You can download a copy of the rules from the USCG (http://www.navcenter.org./mwv/mwv_fi...s/navrules.pdf) or purchase it from either the US Government Printing Office or at your local marine supplier.

Every boater should be familiar with the “Rules of the Road”. Just as you are supposed to be familiar with the vehicle and traffic laws, you should be familiar with the nautical rules as well. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. . . .” Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Common Law (1881).

Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1991 Cigarette Top Gun

Law of Gross Tonnage

The law, which is more common sense then explicitly written in the code, goes like this: “The heavier vessel always has the right-of-way.”
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1991 Cigarette Top Gun

The above post came out of this book. Federal Law

The “Rules of the Road”, which were enacted in 1980, are contained in a book called “Navigation Rules; International-Inland” COMDINST M16672.2D and published March 25th, 1999. You can download a copy of the rules from the USCG (http://www.navcenter.org./mwv/mwv_fi...s/navrules.pdf) or purchase it from either the US Government Printing Office or at your local marine supplier.

Every boater should be familiar with the “Rules of the Road”. Just as you are supposed to be familiar with the vehicle and traffic laws, you should be familiar with the nautical rules as well. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. . . .” Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Common Law (1881).

Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.

of this book.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
Typical arrogant blow boater... I catch so much flack about my noisy, hydro carbon burning boat from them at my marina. But I would love to see them maneuver around the marina w/out there's.
I doubt that the guy wanted to get run down. He probably mistook distances and speeds and figured he could make it around the bow of the tanker and before he could change course he pannicked and was beyond the point of no return.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
we have a similar dispute (mostly good natured) with the blow boaters in one of our marinas. Our contention is they make more noise collectively over time with the constant clanging of their rigging blowing in the wind 24/7 then we do on our short but fast run times

tell ya what though, one of the guys has absolutely no prob maneuvering his almost thirty footer anywhere within the confines of the marina with wind alone. I have seen him bop in an out and even make a quick turn around just to pull in an empty slip to say hi to someone. Its very impressive to watch an these are not slow/no wind moves. He gets around better then alot of guys do under power.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Colby View Post
The worst is misinformed sailors who think they have right of way even when they are under power because they are a sailbote. That's why, when I was at Boating magazine we always spelled it wrong, "sailbote," to mock them. It always got them all lathered up.
Pot-stirrer.

From http://www.worsleyschool.net/science on supertankers

"The immense size of these ships, as well as the heavy loads they carry, mean that each supertanker has enormous inertia.

"A crash stop maneuver (from 'full ahead' to 'full reverse') can stop a fully loaded supertanker within approximately three kilometres, which takes about 14 minutes. The turning diameter is almost two kilometres."

That falls under "limited maneuverability" in my admittedly unscientific book.

All that said, from the angle of the video it's impossible to make any definitive call on what, exactly, happenend. The sailbote (thank you Mr. Colby) could have been trying like hell to get out of the way. The tanker captain might have initiated and "evasive maneuver" that didn't actually take effect until the sailbote was long gone in its wake.

Regardless ... oops.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Stoker 26 Super Sport Tunnel

Pot stirring aside. I know that freighters have schedules and deadlines to make, but in this country, at least, doesn't the Coast Guard post notices to mariners about sanctioned events taking place in a given body of water? Usually commercial vessels take note of these notices and stay out of the area until the event is over. Or at least that's how I interpreted things.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Pot stirring aside. I know that freighters have schedules and deadlines to make, but in this country, at least, doesn't the Coast Guard post notices to mariners about sanctioned events taking place in a given body of water? Usually commercial vessels take note of these notices and stay out of the area until the event is over. Or at least that's how I interpreted things.

Catalina ski race.......catalina flyer has a schedule to keep......move out of the way.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

Quote:
when we race in St Clair and Port Huron race control keeps in contact with the USCG and the freighters will adjust their speed to accommodate the race whenever possible. They actually do a pretty good job of either clearing of holding off in the area.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )