Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat??? >

"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???

Notices

"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Im puzzled by many things about this boat.

It 22 degree V will not deliver the cushy ride in the chop a 24 will, but it does not have the speed that other shallow vs' have like the Howard or the Velocity.

Actually in that link the speed claim is 70 with twin 650's.
If true thats about the worst efficiency I've seen. "near 80" with 700 sounds lot better, but not exactly stellar either.

The bow section setup in the picture is the most ridiculous I have ever seen. three per side bolstered in?!??!? How are you supposed to lay out with your back to the stern and your feet to the bow in sun like every other bowrider in the world with bolsters hitting you in the back? I think someone was looking to make a claim that the boat "seats 12".

I see a fixed cleat in the front and one on the side in the middle of the boat. if you use your rig for swimming in lakes you'll find nothing more useful in creating permeant scars on legs than fixed vs retractable cleats in the front and back.

The cockpit depth of 39 inches is also a full 10 inches less than the lavey 2750.

its not a very big "28" It seems the claim is that its LOA is 27.7 and I wonder if that includes the foot and half swim step and that its actually a 25.7 boat.

From what I know about this rig interesting but it doesn't quite get there.

Uncle Dave
I guess its a east coast west coast thing! I guess i would have been better off posring a ZRO instead

Besides the price what can you find wrong with this model?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2373944

Last edited by FIXX; 08-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
I guess its a east coast west coast thing! I guess i would have been better off posring a ZRO instead

Besides the price what can you find wrong with this model?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2373944
Its not a coast observation. If It were I would be talking about the windshield and gel over paint vs gel in the hull.

I simply made observations on what was posted.

Do you agree or disagree with my observations?

There are plenty of east coast boats I would buy before that Donzi- one being a 28 pantera.

Let me take a look at the link.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-19-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Seems like a pretty nice boat especially if you really like the color red.

This being a 35 is not exactly what the poster is looking for, but for sure a sweet ride.

Does this boat have external steering? I see a tie bar but no rams.

Who owns Donzi these days anyway Im under the impression that the company changed hand a little while ago.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UD, I am fairly certain that is a typo on the listing for that 1st Donzi. I am gambling it had the 377 Scorpions like the other one I saw an add for which are 320 hp each. My guess is they are saying it has twins with total HP of 640. Can you answer the question I posted earlier of the Lavey's? Why is the 29 Nuera 950lbs heavier than the 2750 Nuera? According to the specs online it is 2ft longer but has the same cockpit depth, rate of rise, beam, etc. as the 2750. Just does not seem 2 ft would equate to 950 lbs unless something else in the construction changed. Any rough idea how the 2 would compare at WOT with say a 496HO?

Last edited by fastestbowtie; 08-19-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
UD, I am fairly certain that is a typo on the listing for that 1st Donzi. I am gambling it had the 377 Scorpions like the other one I sawe an add for which are 320 hp each. My guess is they are saying it has twins with total HP of 640. Can you answer the question I posted earlier of the Lavey's? Why is the 29 Nuera 950lbs heavier than the 2750 Nuera? According to the specs online it is 2ft longer bot has the cockpit depth, rate of rise, beam, etc. Just does not seem 2 ft would equate to 950 lbs unless something else in the construction changed. Any rough idea how the 2 would compare at WOT with say a 496HO?
Probably is a typo on the speed.

Im more of an expert on the 2750 & 28 Evo series than the 29 but I will try my best to answer. The Camires are on vacation and will likely pop on to correct me when they get back but Ill try.

The 29 varies in several different dimensions the 29 has not only the extra bottom length, but a much larger outer diameter profile on the upper deck forward of the cockpit.

The 2750 had the nose profile thinned to achieve a sportier look and shave weight.

From the cockpit back to the engine room the boats are the same.

In the 2750 cabin halfway to the nose the ceiling starts to descend on you. Whereas in the 29 the cockpit opening area remains full size to partway through through the V its a dramatic difference in the cabin.

Its the length AND girth that makes up the weight. The Lavey 29 is large 29 foot boat.

As far as speeds go Lavey Jr would be your guy for that , but not to far off Id say only a few MPH.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my boat :-)

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
There is a 29 Nuera mid-cabin online for sale that would be in my range if I was ready to buy now (which I am not)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Here is a pict of the 28 Heat and the Lavey 2750 Gunwhale & cockpit view
(neither are MCOB but at least you can look at the layouts and details.)

The Lavey are all fully interlined boats.

The picts were taken at vastly different time but the closest I could match.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails "BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???-lavey-gunwhale.jpg   "BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???-hat-deck-profile.jpg   "BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???-lavey-gunwales.jpg  

Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Chris
Gold Member

I love my mid-cabin, open bow Heat.

It is the fastest with the outdrive set up at 3" below the keel, but handles rough water the best with the outdrive at between 4" and 4.5" below the keel...depending on the balance of the boat.

Chris
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
I love my mid-cabin, open bow Heat.

It is the fastest with the outdrive set up at 3" below the keel, but handles rough water the best with the outdrive at between 4" and 4.5" below the keel...depending on the balance of the boat.

Chris
This may be a silly quetion, but do u move ur outdrive depending on conditions? Or is this in response to different boats with the drives set up differently.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess I like my boats about like my politics. I think the best looking mid-cabin would be either the Cobra or the Sunsation 288 with the windshield. I like the Nordics look as well but would much prefer if it had the mid cabin closed off more like a regular closed bow. I have 4 children, 3 of them are teenage/young adult females. So between them and wife, it is hard to get out on the water without at least one of them needing some privacy. None of the boats seem to mention it but do any of these include some sort of porta-potty. I think the 32 Sunsation mid-cabin has a small head which would be a plus but have not seen it on any of the smaller ones. To me that would be more benefit than a sink with fresh water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.