Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat??? >

"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???

Notices

"BEST" mid-cabin, rough lake, lake boat???

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Nordic 28' Heat mid-cabin on Lake Travis. IMO, is the perfect size and type for that body of water (my bias showing through, of course).

I2D
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by In2Deep
+1 on the Nordic 28' Heat mid-cabin on Lake Travis. IMO, is the perfect size and type for that body of water (my bias showing through, of course).

I2D
I agree with this also my heat is great! And for sale....
Old 08-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

+1 on Nordic Rage or Nordic Heat 25, 28 cand bonus it can be had used for around your budget.

Plus after 2002 the construction they use makes them very trailerable. I think a 28 Heat come in around 4500 pounds or so.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by In2Deep

I2D
Are you the white/yellow heat I see over by briarcliff all the time?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

How about an eliminator eagle 30? They can be had for under 50k. Most of the mcob are single engines of varying sizes. the closed bow models commonly come with twins. I have never seen a mcob with twins but i did call eliminator to ask and the person i spoke with said that they are out there. From what i have read they are good rough water boats and they are more efficient than a envision or mach1. not to mention the eliminator is a thousand times more stylish than most boats mentioned. Anyway gl

This one is a bit more expensive but i have seen them out there for less.

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12887
Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heats a great boat for sure. Its strength is in its cabin size. larger than a 2750 but not quite as big as the 29.

They Heat has used various sizes of side tanks vs Lavey's belly tank and prior owners complained about only being able to get 33 gallons in each and that handling changes as side tanks drain.

I prefer a belly tank.

The heat has not been vacuum bagged- May be now but not historically.

The heat is an all foam boat, vs laveys balsa cored boat and there are arguments both ways about this. (skater is a balsa boat as well)
Lavey will build a new boat with any core you desire and will inform you of the plusses and minuses of each.

Whats generally not argued is that the vacuum bag assembly process is superior to a hand laid process in terms of insuring a better seal between the laminates.

The interior Gunwhales of the heat are a component of the carpeted interior vs. being built into the mold like a Lavey and after a number of years the likely hood that items will fall through the fabric into the hull is almost certain.

Also historically they do not have a slanted footwell making long running a bit less comfortable than it could be.

There is an excellent write up on the Heat from a prior owner I will look for stating likes and dislike that I thought was very fair and thorough.
The prior owner disliked things like a carpeted engine bay etc.

There are many details to observe about this general size of boat, and almost all the boats mentioned are great.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered

Trying not to hijack this thread so hopefully this will be good info for the thread starter too. How do the west coast built boats hold up out here on the cold and humid air of the east coast? Would it make a difference if it's an older boat that has spent it's life in a hot dry climate and then brought out east?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

The gentlemans name is "Indy" go look up his thorough feedback on the heat.

He provides good details as to his likes and dislikes.

He indicated one of the reasons he sold it was that it was not as rough water capable as he would have liked.

a guy named CB-BLR (Chris) has the fastest heat I know of and is a great guy and extremely impressive and thorough about his documentation. Hes also a great guy.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-20-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
Was not even aware they made those... I guess they don't anymore. I was only able to find one online for sale with twin 377 Scorpion. I bet that would be sweet ride but a little out of my range.
another +1 for the zxo,,great boat!! their out their,,just have to go through every listing on googleBTW the one with the 377's is close to a 80 mph boat!

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6669

Last edited by FIXX; 08-19-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
another +1 for the zxo,,great boat!! their out their,,just have to go through every listing on googleBTW the one with the 377's is close to a 80 mph boat!

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6669
Im puzzled by many things about this boat.

It 22 degree V will not deliver the cushy ride in the chop a 24 will, but it does not have the speed that other shallow vs' have like the Howard or the Velocity.

Actually in that link the speed claim is 70 with twin 650's.
If true thats about the worst efficiency I've seen. "near 80" with 700 sounds lot better, but not exactly stellar either.

The bow section setup in the picture is the most ridiculous I have ever seen. three per side bolstered in?!??!? How are you supposed to lay out with your back to the stern and your feet to the bow in sun like every other bowrider in the world with bolsters hitting you in the back? I think someone was looking to make a claim that the boat "seats 12".

I see a fixed cleat in the front and one on the side in the middle of the boat. if you use your rig for swimming in lakes you'll find nothing more useful in creating permeant scars on legs than fixed vs retractable cleats in the front and back.

The cockpit depth of 39 inches is also a full 10 inches less than the lavey 2750.

its not a very big "28" It seems the claim is that its LOA is 27.7 and I wonder if that includes the foot and half swim step and that its actually a 25.7 boat.

From what I know about this rig interesting but it doesn't quite get there.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.