Notices

Eddie Young Shootout?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Thanks guys.
Yes, we are coming again this year. Both Bruce (the owner) and I are going to drive. He couldn't make it last year so I just took it. Now that's a good customer that gives you his truck, boat and employee to go play with.
Last year was my first time at the Shootout and we were terribly unprepared for it. Now that we have an idea of what to expect, hopefully we can put up a good number.
We will be a Skaterfest on Friday and the Shootout on Sat and Sun on Dock 3. So everyone please stop by and say HI.
Eddie
Any words on the power in this thing, or is that top secret info???
Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Good Luck Eddy!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Eddie from the good ole south louisiana.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It really means a lot.
No secret on the power. It's a pair of my 1200/1400 efi's. I converted them this winter to distributorless ignition. Originally, they made 1229 hp on 93. We also changed the pulleys and made 1326 hp, still on 93. That's where they are set up now. I didn't re-dyno them after doing the DIS, but I'm confident they are making a little more power. Not only did it straighten out the distribution problems with the blower, but it also leaned the engines down a full point. At part throttle, the distribution from bank to bank was about 1 1/2 points different. Now, they are dead even.
We have never turned them up past where they are. The boat really has a hard time handling the power now, so there isn't really a need for any more.

By the way, this will be the last run for the boat as you see it. We are pulling the drivetrain out to put in a new boat. I will post some pics as it progresses.
Thanks, Eddie
Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

No secret on the power. It's a pair of my 1200/1400 efi's. I converted them this winter to distributorless ignition. Originally, they made 1229 hp on 93. We also changed the pulleys and made 1326 hp, still on 93. That's where they are set up now. I didn't re-dyno them after doing the DIS, but I'm confident they are making a little more power. Not only did it straighten out the distribution problems with the blower, but it also leaned the engines down a full point. At part throttle, the distribution from bank to bank was about 1 1/2 points different. Now, they are dead even.
We have never turned them up past where they are. The boat really has a hard time handling the power now, so there isn't really a need for any more.

By the way, this will be the last run for the boat as you see it. We are pulling the drivetrain out to put in a new boat. I will post some pics as it progresses.
Thanks, Eddie
This awesome 399 Vee is FOR SALE. See y'all at LOTO.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

It's being traded in on the new boat.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Eddie
I'm a bit surprised that the 399vee won't handle the power. Is it running out of bottom?

1300+ hp on 93,,, works for me!!! Ever dyno'ed them on 110 or 116? Is this a hydaulic or solid roller setup?

Snap some good pics of the engines while they are out of the boat. They look really good.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be cheering you on Eddie, you are a class act! Good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

It's a Cadillac until about 130 mph. After that, it's a HANDFUL. You really either need to be accelerating or decelerating. You don't want to try to park it above 130-135.
The owner has run is regularly well over 140 and according to the gps plotter in the boat, I ran 151 last year.
I never dynoed these engines on anything over 93 because the customer just didn't want it. We were only looking for about 1150. I have done some in the past and made well over 1400 on 100 octane (93 and 110 mix). It has a hydraulic roller cam and is good for 150+ hours.
Here are a few pics of the engines. Thanks
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Eddie Young Shootout?-1200-1400-cropped.jpg   Eddie Young Shootout?-1200-efi-15.jpg   Eddie Young Shootout?-1200efi-2-large-.jpg  

Eddie Young Shootout?-1200efi-3-large-.jpg   Eddie Young Shootout?-1200-1400-efi-31-large-.jpg