Notices

Center console cat???

Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console cat???

We're looking to upgrade to something a little larger from a 17' center console. Maybe 20-23 foot, want to keep the center console layout. What kind of cat choices are there? Anyone have any experiences good or bad? Something on the order of the one in the middle here. Doesn't look like there's a lot of freeboard though. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

I have no experience in a performance based CC cat - Slower fishing boat only - but I came across a listing for a Hustler/ Talon listing for a 25' when I was snurfing away waiting for the rain to quit.

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12371

Yes, its a bit larger than you had specified in your opening thread but it covers the bases and runs an apparent 98 mph - so it is still easy to get insurance as it is under the magic 100mph mark if that was a concern......

A friend used to run a Talon - nice cruise ride with the pod - slower and not as nice in the rough as a Skater - but a CC cat is a creature unto itself so I wouldn't compare one to another...... Best I can help with was the listing - LOL

Interesting Concept though! Good Luck
Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a 20'/22' Talon for sale right now on Scream & Fly, seems like just what you are looking for. Let me see if I can find it BRB
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here it is, a Lil pricey

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...lon+flats+boat
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

WOW!!
I usually don't like the CC's but they've become a more and more cool factor since they moved into the go fast hulls.
The pic's were awesome but I couldn't hook up to a url address to post them larger than postage stamps.
This is the only large one I could get

Check out the pic's in the link, that girl's hot and fast.
She'd make a great bay boat for fishing and hauling the mail too. LOL!!!
Thanks for the link speicher.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Here we go, I found a back door to them

All I can say is take me to East Matagorda bay baby. We'll limit out and be back in Palacios way before noon.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

That's one awesome machine! Unfortunately a lot out of the budget. I guess I should have been more specific as to what we're looking for. This is second boat for us and we are limited to what we can spend on it. May be able to pull off $8-10K. Not sure if a small cat is even possible in this range, and never having ridden in one, I'm not even sure what to look for or ask about. While it's not a sporty looking machine something like this Seacat 21. How would these handle compared to a comparable V?
Attached Thumbnails Center console cat???-3n83k03l85v45t65z3b7dc11f43a0cada1015.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

I only had one experience in a small cat hull'd CC like the pic you attached.... definitely SEA TRIAL the boat.

I would hope the boat that I was in was a misfit or just set up way off. When the boat was not under power and just drifting in any sort of chop... it felt like a cork bobbing on top of the water almost as if there wasn't enough mass to give it any stability. Port/ Starbord stability was really good but the boat felt like it had to ride up and down every wave.

Turning the boat underway felt like the boat was unable to knife into the water to make the turn but wanted to skid across the water like a car on an ice patch trying to make a corner....never so happy to get off a boat in my life.

The hull was not a rectangular cut tunnel area like a Skater or the Talon shown above - this "Thing" had more like two rounded sponson tips above the water line - almost like a narrowed seadoo hull with a strake added to the inside of the sponson. I couldn't see how the hull continued under the water as it was very murky water.

If the hull shape remained the same, it would account for the characterisitcs of the ride. I could why this boat would have been a 1 of 1 if they killed the design after the builder splashed the first one. I cannot remember the name or the make of the boat but I can picture the owner..Must be a Monday!

On a better note, there are alot of fishing cats running on the coast of Florida as they are marketed for their efficiency and lower HP power requirements compared to a similar sized V
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I only had one experience in a small cat hull'd CC like the pic you attached.... definitely SEA TRIAL the boat.

I would hope the boat that I was in was a misfit or just set up way off. When the boat was not under power and just drifting in any sort of chop... it felt like a cork bobbing on top of the water almost as if there wasn't enough mass to give it any stability. Port/ Starbord stability was really good but the boat felt like it had to ride up and down every wave.

Turning the boat underway felt like the boat was unable to knife into the water to make the turn but wanted to skid across the water like a car on an ice patch trying to make a corner....never so happy to get off a boat in my life.

The hull was not a rectangular cut tunnel area like a Skater or the Talon shown above - this "Thing" had more like two rounded sponson tips above the water line - almost like a narrowed seadoo hull with a strake added to the inside of the sponson. I couldn't see how the hull continued under the water as it was very murky water.

If the hull shape remained the same, it would account for the characterisitcs of the ride. I could why this boat would have been a 1 of 1 if they killed the design after the builder splashed the first one. I cannot remember the name or the make of the boat but I can picture the owner..Must be a Monday!

On a better note, there are alot of fishing cats running on the coast of Florida as they are marketed for their efficiency and lower HP power requirements compared to a similar sized V
Thanks for the input. A sea trial will be a must if we decide to further pursue the cat aspect. I looked a little harder into the Seacat 21. Seems that with max rated horsepower they top out about 35 and cruise around mid 20s at 2-3mpg. With those numbers, I'm not that excited about these anymore.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Registered

If anyone was interested in the 25' Talon/ Hustler.... ad ad appeared this Morning in the OSO classifieds for an Orange painted version about 20k cheaper

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41595-en.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.