Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Several injured, one dead in Homosassa, FL accident >

Several injured, one dead in Homosassa, FL accident

Notices

Several injured, one dead in Homosassa, FL accident

Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I new him, he had a few offshore fishing boats. I think he just got a new 39 Contender with trips. He had a Grady with triple outboards also but that doesn't look like it in the picture. I wonder what happened as he was an experienced captain. My condolences to his friends and family and wish everyone a speedy recovery.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Rip
Old 08-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Registered

RIP and speedy recovery to those involved.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thoughts for the family and all those involved. Not fun to see this happen to anyone, and it sucks to have "speed boat" immediately tagged onto the accident
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
it sucks to have "speed boat" immediately tagged onto the accident
The powerboat industry markets and shoves faster stepped hulls down our throats to the point where stable conventional hulls are a rarity these days but when we see a stepped hull upside down we take the "speedboat" thing back?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2 cents, but first I feel very bad for this poor family as I do for anyone that has a loss of any type, they are very sad unforntunate accidents that are far reaching and affect many families, it's ashame.

Center Consoles were ment to be fishing boats or recreational boats (diving, swimming, etc). What is going on today with Fountain, Donzi, NorTech (at least these manufactures have experience with hulls like this, you see some CC's with steps and just look at them and say "it ain't right") and the dozens of CC manufacturers is they are selling high powered 80 mph step hulled "fishing" like boats and the people that buy them think or believe they can drive them just like they did their 20' SeaCraft that went 30 mph.

Not saying that happened here but I see some of the triple/quad engine boats running around and turning them on a dime in the river. So many on here speak volumes of the benefits they've gotten from the Tres Martin school but when average boater buys a CC he thinks of it more as a family boat than a "speedboat" and it nevers enters their mind that they can blow by many Cigarettes in the bay.

Frankly I 'm surpised there have not been more accidents with them. Again, I morn for anyone who has had a senseless loss especially while boating.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

that family I believe owns a string of car stores in mifd-Fla and is known to be pretty solid earthy people

I bought a couple GMC's from the Leesburg store..

RIP
Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From TheHullTruth:

Originally Posted by boggs187
Hi guys. My sister in law is related to the Phillips family and the word is that Rob was coming through the channel with 2 other boats. One pulled back and the other continued through the narrow channel, rob then went outside the channel marker and hit some submerged rock on with the engines. The boat started to hop and skip due to the engines being knocked out of linement and then flipped. Everyone except Rob were ejected and unfortunately Rob was killed on impact. This is what I was told late last night, my condolences for the Phillips family.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

wow, that is terrible... this just makes you relize how quick things can go wrong, boating is thegreatest thing in the world, but also the most dangerous, My prayers are for the family's of the accident
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prayers and thoughts to the Family and God Bless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.