Notices

Nordic Heat 28

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nordic Heat 28

Hey guys and possibly gals. I recently got the "ok" from the wife to upgrade to a newer and bigger boat. I am currently running the waters in a 22 Pachanga. Love the boat, it is fun for what it is, just looking for more speed and more comfort. I jumped into the Pachanga too quick and ended up with a cracked block (5.7L/Alpha combo). I rebuilt the engine using a true 4 bolt main chevy block, vortec heads, edelbrock/holley combo. Runs great now, but it is still a SBC with an Alpha one. I dont see myself putting more money into a boat that will only yield minimal results anyhow. I have seen people do 80-85gps in the Pachanga, only to buy a bigger boat because it was too rough and too erratic at higher speeds. I have found a few 28' Nordic Heats for sale (2000 model years) for around my price range, and really do like the looks. I have yet to see one in person as they are... scarce around here. I am in Killeen Texas (Fort Hood). How is the build quality? Hull Efficiency? Reliability? The ones I am looling at are the 500EFI setups. I am not worried about fuel. It only holds 20 more gallons than the Pachanga anyhow, so thats not an issue. I want something fast, yet comfortable. I know they have the optional sinks and all that in the cabin, I know I cant afford something with a full cabin that will run 75+mph. A good size cuddy will suffice for sure over what I am in now. Lots of questions I know. Thank you all so much for your time and any information, pointers, or advice on this subject.

Oh, and I am currently driving a 2009 Nissan Titan. I have no issues towing the Pachanga, nor issues with a 20' car trailer loaded with car. Weight I read on the NOrdic is about 4900lbs, assuming the trailer is no more than 1500, it should not be a problem. Are these figures accurate at all?? Thanks again!

Last edited by Jay Gadsby; 08-22-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered

You can't go wrong with a Nordic Heat.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
Hey guys and possibly gals. I recently got the "ok" from the wife to upgrade to a newer and bigger boat. I am currently running the waters in a 22 Pachanga. Love the boat, it is fun for what it is, just looking for more speed and more comfort. I jumped into the Pachanga too quick and ended up with a cracked block (5.7L/Alpha combo). I rebuilt the engine using a true 4 bolt main chevy block, vortec heads, edelbrock/holley combo. Runs great now, but it is still a SBC with an Alpha one. I dont see myself putting more money into a boat that will only yield minimal results anyhow. I have seen people do 80-85gps in the Pachanga, only to buy a bigger boat because it was too rough and too erratic at higher speeds. I have found a few 28' Nordic Heats for sale (2000 model years) for around my price range, and really do like the looks. I have yet to see one in person as they are... scarce around here. I am in Killeen Texas (Fort Hood). How is the build quality? Hull Efficiency? Reliability? The ones I am looling at are the 500EFI setups. I am not worried about fuel. It only holds 20 more gallons than the Pachanga anyhow, so thats not an issue. I want something fast, yet comfortable. I know they have the optional sinks and all that in the cabin, I know I cant afford something with a full cabin that will run 75+mph. A good size cuddy will suffice for sure over what I am in now. Lots of questions I know. Thank you all so much for your time and any information, pointers, or advice on this subject.

Oh, and I am currently driving a 2009 Nissan Titan. I have no issues towing the Pachanga, nor issues with a 20' car trailer loaded with car. Weight I read on the NOrdic is about 4900lbs, assuming the trailer is no more than 1500, it should not be a problem. Are these figures accurate at all?? Thanks again!
The few I've seen, looks really nice. In terms of weight, well, It's lowest dry weight. I would at least add 1000 lbs, for fuel, batteries, bigger engine (possibly), and random items. 1500-1600 lbs for the trailer is about right, depending on setup and steel or alu. Some trailers that can carry heavier boats like 8000-10000 lbs boats are more like 1700-2000 lbs, so have that in mind. I would say that you should be able to tow atleast 7500 lbs, for safe and comfortable not to mention leagal towing in all conditions.

Happy hunting.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 28 Nordic is a great boat, possibly the best value in performance boating.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot guys. I talked to JD for a while and got a few questions answered up. Thanks again! I am going back to Iraq in a couple weeks, and hopefully when I return home I will have a Nordic Heat waiting on me.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Stay safe over there and thank you for what you do
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

How are these in the rough?

before this thread I never looked at tem as I thought they were way past my price point. However after browsing because of this thread I found quite a few 25'ers in my range, granted they are not the 28' heat but they were nice mid cabins that were in 2000's year wise.

However I will be boating only in the Gulf and while 9/10 times it's nice we do get rough days, how are these out in conditions like that?

I have been shopping Velocity and some Fevers as well but these Nodics look/perform great too.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered

After talking to JD, he said his handles well in the rough but he is in Salt Lake area... Gulf may be a bit different. What is rough in the Gulf like? I plan on taking some trips to Corpus Christi when I get back.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
How are these in the rough?

before this thread I never looked at tem as I thought they were way past my price point. However after browsing because of this thread I found quite a few 25'ers in my range, granted they are not the 28' heat but they were nice mid cabins that were in 2000's year wise.

However I will be boating only in the Gulf and while 9/10 times it's nice we do get rough days, how are these out in conditions like that?

I have been shopping Velocity and some Fevers as well but these Nodics look/perform great too.
Not a rough water boat. I know...had one for three years in Long Island Sound...plenty of chop to be had. Compared to something like a Pantera/AT/any other true 24 degree hull for example the ride is tough.

Build quality is high...tooling is top notch...best cabin by far of any 28 I've ever been in, even some bigger boats too...Nordic never figured out their drive heights properly, people are always screwing with drive spacers...speed is decent but not over the top, mid 60s with 496HO power (at least in my 2002), however there's a person here (Long Island) that swears 80s with 525 power if I recall properly, which is a huge delta between what I experienced with my HO.

Their trailers are complete garbage if they get exposed to salt water (I know first hand), opt for aluminum if that's the case. I still think they have carpet in the engine compartment which is puzzling, I ripped mine out and put in diamond plate. Looks are stunning, never a lack of compliments when I was in or working on the boat. Bolsters lack headrests which makes them look like barrels, I had Nordic custom make some for mine and it changed the whole look of the interior. Still some outdated gel designs but that's in the eye of the beholder. Handled well, just didn't like chop with the 22 degree hull and pad. Needs wind deflectors too, windscreen is at the perfect height to deflect wind right into your face...kind of a pain in the a$$ if you take it for some long rides. A 150 mile trip one day convinced us to get deflectors...had enough of that crap.

I'm sure some things have changed since I owned one, maybe some others will chime in. Overall we loved the boat but it just wasn't made for our waters, we wound up purchasing a PowerPlay and it was a whole different animal...it pretty much lived for chop. In fact it was a total bore unless it was crappy out...but that's another topic.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
After talking to JD, he said his handles well in the rough but he is in Salt Lake area... Gulf may be a bit different. What is rough in the Gulf like? I plan on taking some trips to Corpus Christi when I get back.
3'/5' is common here and 2'/3' is more the norm for an average day.

We have the intercoastal but that is a bore to ride along all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.