Notices

Bravo XR Capabilities?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
I think the weak link he's talking about is the sc, imco or stock lower bolted to the scx, seems to be all the rage. Problem I have with that set-up is even after Cryo/iso rem treating lower gears, setting lower up with best billet shafts and ideal clearences, using the best oil out there, I still eat up gears and shear off prop shafts/vertical shafts. I just sheared a billet vert shaft and this time it decided to cut it way thru the lower housing completely destroying EVERYTHING except prop shaft and carrier, if I were to go to a scx I would use the scx lower too and just turn up the power to make up for the speed loss instead of KEEPING a weak link, Smitty
Smitty, that was my point. Same goes with the Bmax that also uses xr gears in the lower case.

Now another thought. If you run say 105 mph with twin 800 hp. and loose lets say 3-5 mph down to 100-102 mph, then you'll need to run your engines up to about 875-900 hp each. That will again put a higher load on the drives and engines. The thing I like about the arnies is, that if you run the numbers above, but by putting arnesons on, you could turn the power down to 700-750 hp and still run 105. Then your motors will most likely live longer, and your drives will for sure.

Alot is also how you look at it.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Well sorry we are at the bottom of your list. So much for making a stronger, lighter, faster and less expensive product that comes in the bottom of your list.

As for handling, I definitively know you are incorrect there, but hey, I've read so many success stories about your top two it really doesn't matter.
Rik, no offense met. Your products were in the top three! I have heard of LOTS of successful Arneson installations, but there have been a few boats that, due to their inherent design, simply did not respond favorably.

The bottom line in this discussion is that in general applying any more than about 550 ft-lbs to a Bravo is asking for trouble, as it always has been for over a decade. Some people manage to get away with it, most don't. It's a travesty, really. I know lots of guys who own both spare drives and the tools to rebuild them. Would anyone accept that situation with their car?

Good discussion.

Last edited by C_Spray; 08-26-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Chuck, I agree with you to a point.

They are obviously the best (strongest) alternatives to a Bravo style drive. The problem with them (and why we dont see more Bravo to Arneson/NXT/Indy/#6 conversions) is the amount of work involved to convert a bravo boat to a transmission boat, not to mention the great expense of any one of these drive systems on a boat that already has Bravos. yes, i know that Arneson has a bravo conversion kit, but this will require transom work and engine placement adjustment unless your cutout is in exactly the right spot (mine is not, add another $5k worth of work). It is MUCH cheaper and easier to slap on a new drive, be it an SCX or a BMax, and not have to fight with setup issues or be required to use $5k propellers. Not to mention the huge weight increase by going to any of the above mentioned drives except for the Arneson (not sure what it weighs, but still think it weighs more)

Will these Bravo style drives hold the power that any transmission drive will hold? Absolutely not, at least not for as long. But they are within the realm of the average performance boater with 700 or 800hp who just wants to stop rebuilding XR's every 40-50 hours.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeing alot of broken bravo drive discussions in this forum. I have the answere for sale. Winter is on the way & time to stop crying about broken drives & do something about it. You will not beet the price. Check out the classifieds.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Listings : ARNESON ASD7 BRAVO CONVERSION KITS
Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Rik, no offense met. Your products were in the top three! I have heard of LOTS of successful Arneson installations, but there have been a few boats that, due to their inherent design, simply did not respond favorably.

The bottom line in this discussion is that in general applying any more than about 550 ft-lbs to a Bravo is asking for trouble, as it always has been for over a decade. Some people manage to get away with it, most don't. It's a travesty, really. I know lots of guys who own both spare drives and the tools to rebuild them. Would anyone accept that situation with their car?

Good discussion.
Does the car start with 400hp and end up with 700hp?

Last edited by JRider; 08-26-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: grammmer
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Does the car start with 400hp and end up with 700hp?
The ones that do upgrade their transmissions and rear axles. Have a look a Pro Touring; no stock drivelines there...