Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Irene coming how to deal with storm surge with Boat on Lift?? >

Irene coming how to deal with storm surge with Boat on Lift??

Notices

Irene coming how to deal with storm surge with Boat on Lift??

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Irene coming how to deal with storm surge with Boat on Lift??

I have a Cigarette without trailer and currently keeping it on a boat lift. With Hurricane Irene coming I was wondering how to deal with the storm surge? Tie boat down to lift? Put a bow line on it so it can float off with the surge? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your insurance. Any good policy will pay the cost of seeing to it that the boat is safe.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would (1) Like Chuck said call your insurance as most all good ones include Haul-out service in the event of a pending hurricane, or (2) Find a protected local Marina with floating docks and rent a slip for those days.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hit a Marina and shell out the couple hundred $ to get it racked for the next few days or have em put it on stands if the racks are full.
MD
Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with Scarab63. Just have it pulled and put in rack or probably safer (depending on if the rack store can handle the wind speeds or not) just have it put on a good set of stands and make sure the stands are chained together (make sure it is high enough to deal with the surge). What if your lift tips over? Do you know anyone with a trailer you can barrow?

Last edited by Audiofn; 08-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

As others have stated, do whatever it takes to get it off the lift.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OFF the lift yes. On a rack NOOO. Those metal racks are not designed to withstand any substatial wind. most are one or three sided so they will act as a parachute in high winds. But I woldn't worry too much, Irene is going away from Fla. However if it turns, get the boat on a trailer and get it inside a hurricane "resistant" building. If you can't, lower your lift, keep the boat in the water. Tie it down with small, 3/8" rope for station keeping and longer 3/4 min. to keep it in place in case of storm surge. Allow the small ropes to brake if the water level get high, then the stronger ropes will keep it in the area, allowing for water levels to fluctuate. I went through several hurricanes when I lived in Palm Beach County, and I rather have my boat on the shores of Peanut island with a bunch of anchors then on a rack. Small/light boats go on the top of those racks. Takes nothing for one to fall right on to yours. Unless the racks are closed all 4 sides and meets Fla Building or the "Uniform" bldg. code 2000 or later, I would not use them. If this darn thing will actually turn and create a major issue on the East coast. PM me I have accees to a hurricane resistance building in Pompano for safe keeping for 1-2 weeks.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Do not rack it or keep it on the lift. Depending on if your in a sheltered area or the boat stays in the bay, let it float the storm out if you can manage it.. Or you could prob rent a trailer and have the insurance company comp you(not likley) I would try to track a trailer down.. My dad has a 40ft'r that will prob float the storm out.. Storm surges are a pita ass.. Hope it doesn't come into the house like it did from Isabel :/

John jr
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, All great suggestions!! During Hurricane Isabel many people had their boats hauled out only to find the surge came above the stands and floated them off into the fields and highways. I am trying to find someone who could haul me out but if I can't I will put the lift all the way down and tie the boat up in the slip like paradox recommended or find a floating dock marina for the weekend. I am in Maryland if anybody has a free trailer I could borrow? The boat is 31 ft.

Thanks

Last edited by gripit; 08-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
OFF the lift yes. On a rack NOOO. Those metal racks are not designed to withstand any substatial wind. most are one or three sided so they will act as a parachute in high winds. But I woldn't worry too much, Irene is going away from Fla. However if it turns, get the boat on a trailer and get it inside a hurricane "resistant" building. If you can't, lower your lift, keep the boat in the water. Tie it down with small, 3/8" rope for station keeping and longer 3/4 min. to keep it in place in case of storm surge. Allow the small ropes to brake if the water level get high, then the stronger ropes will keep it in the area, allowing for water levels to fluctuate. I went through several hurricanes when I lived in Palm Beach County, and I rather have my boat on the shores of Peanut island with a bunch of anchors then on a rack. Small/light boats go on the top of those racks. Takes nothing for one to fall right on to yours. Unless the racks are closed all 4 sides and meets Fla Building or the "Uniform" bldg. code 2000 or later, I would not use them. If this darn thing will actually turn and create a major issue on the East coast. PM me I have accees to a hurricane resistance building in Pompano for safe keeping for 1-2 weeks.
That's very generous .... but that'd b one hell of a trip! !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.