Notices

Need quality advice

Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need quality advice

Hurricane Irene is approaching and it looks like we're going to get slammed. My 30 Scarab Sport will be staying in the water, hauling her out is not really an option, anyway, tomorrow I am heading to my boat club and doing my best to get her prepped for the storm. I know about extra lines, especially springs, but what else can I do ? The ideal situation would be to adjust lines regularly, but once again that is not an option since they predict my entire marina will be un-reachable due to surge. I know you Florida guys have been through this before, so is their any quality advice out their so I can possibly spare my boat. Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Why can you not get the boat out?? NY is def supposed to get smashed good and if you can not get to lines to adjust them, then it can be bad news..

John jr
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

I feel ur pain.Im about a haour and half up state from you and my boat is also sitting in the water at the marina
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Why can you not get the boat out?? NY is def supposed to get smashed good and if you can not get to lines to adjust them, then it can be bad news..

John jr
My hauler can get me out, but their really isn't anywhere safe to put her. My yard is 2 blocks from the water and it is very heavily wooded. My haulers boatyard is very vulnerable. Any kind of surge at all and his yard will be bumper boats. Even though Long Island is an island ( obviously ) and it jutts out into the ocean, we really don't deal with hurricanes very often, so other than common sense we really are not that set-up for it. If a categorie 3 or better hurricane ever hit LI, it probably would not exist after that. Anyway, back to the point, I'm kind of upset because my hands are tied.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just heard on the news storm surge could be 20-30 ft. Maybe that's exaggerated, but even 1/2 that means alot of trouble.
There isn't much of a way to deal with that much fluctuation yet keep it tight all the time. Gotta really try to get it way out of there.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

if you want to haul it to ct ,you can leave it at my house plenty in land no trees
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Registered

Insurance is a grey area if you leave it in.They will say that you did not do everything possible to protect the boat.Get it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

X2
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keeping it around other boats is a bad idea if one gets loose then it becomes a battering ram, No matter how well you secured yours.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by frankenstein
Hurricane Irene is approaching and it looks like we're going to get slammed. My 30 Scarab Sport will be staying in the water, hauling her out is not really an option, anyway, tomorrow I am heading to my boat club and doing my best to get her prepped for the storm. I know about extra lines, especially springs, but what else can I do ? The ideal situation would be to adjust lines regularly, but once again that is not an option since they predict my entire marina will be un-reachable due to surge. I know you Florida guys have been through this before, so is their any quality advice out their so I can possibly spare my boat. Thanks in advance
If you can get her to south jersey I have plenty of room about 40 miles inland. Or fuel up and run her up the Hudson as far as possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.