Notices

201 - My Way

Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Jason,
If you keep going I may have to go get some pulleys and good fuel (I'm running 93 octane). Im giving up about 700 hp to you. I might need it
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am hoping my customer Bill Betz with the 43 Outerlimits will get the V-hull record tommorow!!We did alot of work on this boat to get it to LOTO.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no news on the boat that caught on fire?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I am hoping my customer Bill Betz with the 43 Outerlimits will get the V-hull record tommorow!!We did alot of work on this boat to get it to LOTO.
Is that the 43 with the canopy JC? What does it have for power?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
If you can swing the cost to own a turbine boat, you can swing the self-insurance cost as well.
That's not real-world boating anyway. Who's lake boat runs 90+ on here anyway? Probably 15-25% do. The rest are just living vicariously though others.
Th real problem is that a turbine burns almost as much fuel at an idle as it does spooled up & working.
with the fuel true you burn alot at 60 or 120 130, 140 and on to 170, but it costs about 20 grand or more to rebuild a 1075 to 1550 hp motors or more every 150 ,200 hours. about 10 times longer for a T53 = 1500 to 2000 hours .fuel on a blown or turbo motor around 900 to 1200 hp ,I'll find out next week but friends in that range say between 60 to 100 gals per motor a hour. the turbine would be about 100 to 130 per hour per motor.I got this by going out with Gerry, if I am way off maybe he will chime in. when we go out in his skater 46 and its calm or 5, 6 footers he runs 100 to 120 cruise speed going to block island say. and its a lot nicer ride than any vee in the 32 to 38 foot range I have been in. I am sure a vee in the 41 to 52 foot range might ride better than the 38s but not as a skater 46. in the long run turbines are the way to go and in a 40 or 46 skater is it. and I love the open cockpit. there needs to be more 42cigs 46 rough riders and OLs with turbines and guys should talk to Gerry. piston motors try to self destruct by stopping at the top of the stroke and then at the bottom. and a turbine just spins in a circle this was a quote at loto to day. plus with a turbine you do not need any water coming in the boat. to cool anything. so no water lines to break. well its late I am buzzed from watching the PATS get there butts handed to them. congrats LIONS. good night all. Art
Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Excellent Bio article on Bill T. My Way.

http://powerboating.coverleaf.com/po...ss1?pg=58#pg58
Great article, thanks for sharing. I'm cheering for this guy to set the new record! I know he's from Canada but he sure seems to have his **** together.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingForBroke
Great article, thanks for sharing. I'm cheering for this guy to set the new record! I know he's from Canada but he sure seems to have his **** together.
+1 - he's paid his dues- learned from each boat and each boat he has built had has a detailed plan of attack... he just took the right steps in his carreer to financially be able to up the anty on himself let alone with the go fast running next to him

Yeah, he is Canadian but if it makes it any easier - the rig is American made
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
I think I remember you saying the same crap on youtube. The only one gay is you.
I did....and they still are gay....
Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Another plus to the turbine vs. pistons debate is that the turbines can run a diesel blend - no idea of tuning changes or whatever power losses incurred but it is a standard option.. I am only guessing for a full power run ( like Loto) the boats are running Jet A so nothing is left on the table.

The turbine consume more fuel at lower speeds than pistons - but deliver more relaible BIG power - that's a give and already covered.

I bought coloured diesel ( off highway) with delivery for less than $3.00 Gallon - and cost of fuel was up. On other forums someone said that cheap gas (89???)was over $5.00 gallon on the dock & someone else mentioned 114 octane was well over $9.00 gallon to feed the big piston engines.

I am surprised it has taken this long really for turbines to become a major player in top end boats. It really hasn't been all that long that big piston power has been reilable.

Not too far back, Merc's warrantee on 1000+ hp was basically if it starts there's your warantee completed... which I always thought was the equivalant of buying a supercharged hand grenade and paying someone else big $$$ to pull the pin!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

I never tried to imply that Turbines should replace the Piston engine - just that when ya' look at the service intervals and Hp output it definitely has a place. For every point pro vs con of either power there is a contradiction.....

All I was saying is that piston's do not have the same service/ Overhaul as a turbine when producing over 1200+ hp. I only use 1200 as a mark as I think that is a small version of T53...Boating to me is time on the water - not how much power you have under the hatches and then have the motors pulled for refresh to do it again next weekend

John Force's Funny Car race team can build 7000-8000 hp out of a piston engine - probably just shy of double double of what is in the My Way Mystic. I can't see how it's possible to get more power out of the T55 to double the output like the Funny Cars - but the piston engines have made it possible. BUT- the same engine is totally overhauled at least 7-8 times before the average boater with typical production engines has warmed their motors and ready to leave the dock if you were comparing the actual revolution count. Does this tidbit mean anything - probably not to everyone but it is a different angle.

It's whatever floats your boat ,Literally, and pushes it along and you are happy with what ya' got. There are some big engines at Loto - majority would probably have just had a refresh or are due for one after the weekend.

My Way probably will be loaded up and shipped home and splashed if nothing goes awry today - nature of the turbine.

Contradicitng this -John Arruda / Miss Mary Mac blew a turbine and had a fire onboard - does it sell one power over another - not really. Piston lovers would give a 1 up for piston power and turbine lovers would say " Sh*t happens!"

If I was putting 1-2 million down on the table for an offshore boat - down time would be a factor in deciding power with 8 weeks of boating/ year. Personally I love unique-ness and the sound of the turbines but i was brought up on BBC's

If My way breaks the record is it going to be said that he had the perfect run with the right props and all the details executed perfectly - or just the fact that he bolted 8000hp to the boat and made a pass???? Do you give him credit for what he's built or take it away for the power he's making compared to the next boat? Just sayin..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.