Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sailing sucks
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
All too often, the proper advice is totally ignored by the question poser because he wants the "Silver Bullet", the easy or cheap answer to his complicated or expensive problem. It only takes a time or two and the giver of said sound advice says "WTF" or why even bother.
YEP
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Sailing sucks
That's a nice way of cuttin' thru the

Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Bringing this back to the top... This is Offshore Only right? Even if you don't have a true offshore wave crusher it's still about the spirit, performance, experience, right?... The tech section is full of bedwetter's. If someone asks about putting a blower on, ten people who have never even seen a blower cry "it's gonna blow up", or "don't bother", etc. I say put the phucking blower on, run it like you stole it, and when it blows up build it again stronger. If nobody pushed the limits or tried stupid chit we'd still be sailing.. Somebody please go build an engine with way to much compression and a cam with a 110cl, or put a blower on your Mag motor without rebuilding it first and go have some fun.. For the love of the sport..
Do you know me?? I break stuff. I can tell you the limits on quite a few parts at this point. This years lesson: nodular steel cranks and boost don't mix.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Do you know me?? I break stuff. I can tell you the limits on quite a few parts at this point. This years lesson: nodular steel cranks and boost don't mix.
See! The forementioned "bedwetters" told you that blower motor was gonna break. Nodulars cranks and boost are not your friend! thats performance 101.....

Just messin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
See! The forementioned "bedwetters" told you that blower motor was gonna break. Nodulars cranks and boost are not your friend! thats performance 101.....

Just messin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My nodular steel cranks have smoke more than a few fancy offshore perf boats You should see the look on thier faces when my old junk rolls past them in 3 footers north of 90mph... priceless
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
My nodular steel cranks have smoke more than a few fancy offshore perf boats You should see the look on thier faces when my old junk rolls past them in 3 footers north of 90mph... priceless
You are a perfect example. If someone posted a thread asking about putting blowers on their 9.5:1 454's with cast cranks I doubt a single person would say "sure give it a try, as long as your tune up is good and you run good fuel why not" Instead you'd be told to sell your 454's and look for a pair of 502's or 525's, or just sell your boat and get something faster or, you'll have to change everything and start over, it's gonna blow up the first time out, your blower's too small, your carb's too big, the sky is falling, etc. etc..

There's lots of good guys who post there too. It just seems it's been overrun with guys waiting for their warranty to expire before they add any performance to their engines...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't really post much in the tech section, or on OSO these days. When I first joined OSO, I only posted in the tech section. First, work has bee really busy and I don't have time. second, I moved and this whole year was a transition.

And 3rd, more importantely, the tech section of OSO seems to be over run by builders. If I post a tech question I just want an answer or suggestion and be able to give a response. I don't want to be sold on something or convinced that the only solution to my problem is to drop $100K on PSI superchargers, a 1/2 million dollar boat and #6's with Herring propellers!

I guess I preferr the beer and chips stuff and boating on a budget, do-it-yourself sections of this and other sites.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

On my lake alone there are 2 blown 330HP 454s and 1 blown 300 hp 454mpi. These are cast motors with peanut port heads. These are just the ones I know of. Those guys would have been beat up if they came here for advise before the boost.

The 2 roots style 300 hp have been running for years, no problems. The mpi blew up this year from water starvation, that boat ran for almost 8 years at 4.5 psi.

If I end up with 496 mag HO's in my next boat they will be whippled, bolt on. I have had thoughts about sharing that on OSO.

This site does seem to have more bullies than the average, but it might have more "I'm asking but I already know the answer and you won't change my mind" posters as well.

I still like it
Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

with only a hundred or so posts,i can be considered a newbie here...many years ago,my first engine job.....i was trying to hammer the wristpin out of the piston,cause i didn't know there was a circlip !!the years went by,and with not much help from others -in those days,harley mechanics doing performance work were working with a blanket over their head to hide their secrets-i became a well-known certified hd mechanic and for a while we had canada's fastest gas sportster,at [email protected]y,i don't work with a blankie over my head,and try to help everyons that asks for help....how smart were you when you first registered to oso?....being basics,im aware the same questions will be asked again and again...it will always be that way...i take pride in transmitting what i know,even if it means repeating the same things 50 times,and i appreciate when someone here takes time to answer my basic questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.