Tech section. What happened?

Notices

Tech section. What happened?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you kidding?

Originally Posted by Raylar
I think most of this is a sign of our economic times. In a depressed economy most of these lower budget-investment general boaters do not want to spend the money to take their boat to a qualified repair shop and they want to try and fix their engines and boat problems themselves without spending money on a real marine engine mechanic. They come on to the tech section and start pleading and trying to get all kinds of free advice and information on how to repair their problems without the services of a qualified mechanic or shop.

Most of them are not even qualified or capable of dealing with the issues and a lot of times I won't even offer assistance because I can tell by their descriptions and questions that they are over their head and ill equipped and trained to begin with.

How many self trained home style brain surgeons are there out there and how many of these would you let operate on your brain??????

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Aren't these unqualified boaters the same folks that you rely on to purchase your engine parts? Where would the parts aftermarket be without us?

You comparison of engine building to a surgeon is funny
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEXASRPM
Aren't these unqualified boaters the same folks that you rely on to purchase your engine parts? Where would the parts aftermarket be without us?

You comparison of engine building to a surgeon is funny
To some degree you could be accurate. However, a lot of those same folks try to do too much themselves after buying an aftermarket product only to then jump on the net and slander the vendor's name because the said diy guy wasn't smart enough from start to finish.

You actually want to stay away from many of the unqualified buyers because their warranty claims and complaints cost more than simply not making the sale..

There's always a ying and a yang.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
To some degree you could be accurate. However, a lot of those same folks try to do too much themselves after buying an aftermarket product only to then jump on the net and slander the vendor's name because the said diy guy wasn't smart enough from start to finish.

You actually want to stay away from many of the unqualified buyers because their warranty claims and complaints cost more than simply not making the sale..

There's always a ying and a yang.
I have never heard of a parts manufacturer questioning the experience of a customer and determining whether a sale is warranted? How could you expect to remain in business not to mention reputation.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEXASRPM
I have never heard of a parts manufacturer questioning the experience of a customer and determining whether a sale is warranted? How could you expect to remain in business not to mention reputation.
High performance marine parts and the sale of these items are quite a bit different than the average aftermarket john doe shop that you seem to be using as a comparison.

Simple -

1st, NO aftermarket or OEM parts seller is perfect. There are defects and kinks in everything

2nd, assume Raylar or anyone else sells a guy some parts like performance heads & intake etc.. The buyer "thinks" it's no big deal. I can install myself and in some cases save thousands.

3rd, when the chit hits the fan and expensive engine breaks... who do you think the guy starts bad mouthing on forums like this one????? The boat owner will blame the manufacture for his problems. Happens all the time.

Some times the vendor IS at fault. Sometimes he's not.

Boats and the boat owners are mostly like nothing else.

And it's not necessarily saying "no" to the guy.. Some times you have to push him in the direction of getting the proper assistance with the job.

Go back and read the stories on here from the past. Doesn't take a genius to figure out who they are.

If I had a dime for every time I've heard the ole' saying "my friend is a long-time MASTER GM Certified Tech"... "and he will do my install"..

More often than not, the install fails. Nothing against automotive guys. But most of them "think" they know boats when they really only know road cars.

How many "good" mechanics have you ever heard of who installed nice new aluminum heads and used an impact gun to run the bolts down??? I know a few.

Just one man's opinion - what do I know?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Default Rethink?

I went through the tech section and saw some good questions.

Not all questions are important to all but to the poster having problems it is. Believe me, all these folks including myself appreciate the help and I for one find the critical comments a good addition to the conversation. IT IS A FORUM.

I agree, a simple search will often answer many of these questions, but not all new posters realize this and just want to personalize and start to be a part of the forum.

THX
Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anewway
I think part of it has to do with when someone does post something, they get two or three people beating them up for being stupid about what they did or didn't do.

Yes, in an ideal world if I heard a noise in the motor, I would tear it completely down and check everything and replace every part that could be even remotely suspect, but let's face it, most of us can't afford to do that.

Does it sometimes end up costing more, both in time and money? Sure, if you reinstall a part that looks solid, and it then breaks and takes out everything around it, you are going to second guess yourself, but its a shot you took.

Case in point, a guy posted a while back about a boat he picked up with some pretty high hours on the small block power. He asked what sort of hours he might expect before having to do any major work. He got a few people telling him they would probably last a while if he kept up his scheduled maintenance, but others started beating up on him telling him they would blow up tomorrow if he didn't go through them.

Where's the fun in that? He knows he's running on borrowed time, hell, we all are, but the doom and gloom predictions and accusations you get from some people make you not want to ask or even answer questions in an open forum.

And while I love GlassDave's optimism, I also tend to think it is more likely that fewer people are running them as much as they have in years past so they aren't breaking as often. I know the traffic on my lake is WAY down this year, even with the "cockroaches". (ski boats)
When I got my 311 I had a guy telling me to take the motors out and do a tear down and all this work. I said ok, put the boat in the water and have been running them ever since! That was almost 4 years ago now.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All sites go through this. I am part of a programming web site. Some of the questions you see people ask you are like WTF, this guy is programming some ones house? It is no wonder we have bad reputation in my industry. Then the end users chime in and want to program themselves like it is nothing. I would not even start to think I can do what Raylar or Eddie, Cheif.... can do so I don't even try. I can do the basics (water pumps, cable replacements, lube the drives, oil changes...) and that is what I keep it at. With out guys like Glass Dave and many others my 302 project would have been a lot more difficult! Not everyones question is going to win a pulitzer, but like TexasRPM said it sure is important to the person that asked the question.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All too often, the proper advice is totally ignored by the question poser because he wants the "Silver Bullet", the easy or cheap answer to his complicated or expensive problem. It only takes a time or two and the giver of said sound advice says "WTF" or why even bother.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Default Nailed It !

Originally Posted by Airpacker
All too often, the proper advice is totally ignored by the question poser because he wants the "Silver Bullet", the easy or cheap answer to his complicated or expensive problem. It only takes a time or two and the giver of said sound advice says "WTF" or why even bother.
And this is only emphasized by not all; but some of the guys who are buying or went out and bought a repo boat at a good deal and then think they can get the silver bullet from someone if they just keep ignoring the ones who are truly trying to help them.

It's never easy. Notice how complicated our discussion has become all over how best to make the same discussion???

Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Bringing this back to the top... This is Offshore Only right? Even if you don't have a true offshore wave crusher it's still about the spirit, performance, experience, right?... The tech section is full of bedwetter's. If someone asks about putting a blower on, ten people who have never even seen a blower cry "it's gonna blow up", or "don't bother", etc. I say put the phucking blower on, run it like you stole it, and when it blows up build it again stronger. If nobody pushed the limits or tried stupid chit we'd still be sailing.. Somebody please go build an engine with way to much compression and a cam with a 110cl, or put a blower on your Mag motor without rebuilding it first and go have some fun.. For the love of the sport..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.