Tech section. What happened? >

Tech section. What happened?

Notices

Tech section. What happened?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tech section. What happened?

Maybe I am wrong, or a little off base here with this. I have always loved the tech section, and all the great info shared among the fellow OSO guys. Tons of great engine, rigging, electrical, and all kinds of stuff pertaining to offshore boats. There used to be alot of really knowledgeable guys posting.

As of lately, alot of the threads started are about some guy with a OMC Ford 302, crusader engine questions for his cruiser, 4.3 V6 hop ups, and so on. All being posted by new users with no posts, no avatars, not even a make/model of what they own, or where they are from. Some of the technical questions, have got really off base to the offshore boat thing.

While I am always the first to lend a helping hand to a boater, especially on the water, no matter what kind of boat they have, I am a offshore boat owner and enthusiast. I miss reading posts from guys like Dean Gellner, Laz Mesa, JC, and all the other knowledgeable riggers and engine builders.

I guess what I am saying, is, what happened to the days of talking about blowers, crankshafts, head porting, bore notching, valve train geometry, deep sump trannys and dyno tests? There used to be 10 page threads about boost referencing carbs, and how to rig a high performance oil system.

I find myself replying to lots of tech threads, but then when I have a tech question about port matching, bore/stroke/rod angle questions, roller lifter questions, there are no replys, or maybe 1 or 2.

Just seems like alot of new users who don't participate in the site, only here to get some free advice or a cheap fix, then they're gone.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Our friendship is based solely on the cheap advice you dispense. When you no longer provide such information at such an agreeable cost, I will kick yo' butt to the curb.

See ya Friday.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Our friendship is based solely on the cheap advice you dispense. When you no longer provide such information at such an agreeable cost, I will kick yo' butt to the curb.

See ya Friday.
lol

as for the tech section . . . i dunno . . . maybe everyone for once, collectively has there chit running good and their out boating

Its always slow this time of year wait till the snow starts fly'in
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one.....we snapped a valve spring rocker and the exhaust push rod on a Merc 1075 at the shootout Sat. The push rods lower tip is MIA. On sat. we heard the dead cylinder and started pulling coils. We found the dead cylinder and replaced the coil, listened and everything sounded good....should have pulled the valve covers but didnt and went out to make a pass. Only made 5,200 rpms out of that motor and it resulted in a poor run. Any ideas about where the rod tip could have ended up. I heard a couple different theories talking on the dock sunday. Thoughts? Who is the Merc 1075 expert on here?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleet Flyer
I got one.....we snapped a valve spring rocker and the exhaust push rod on a Merc 1075 at the shootout Sat. The push rods lower tip is MIA. On sat. we heard the dead cylinder and started pulling coils. We found the dead cylinder and replaced the coil, listened and everything sounded good....should have pulled the valve covers but didnt and went out to make a pass. Only made 5,200 rpms out of that motor and it resulted in a poor run. Any ideas about where the rod tip could have ended up. I heard a couple different theories talking on the dock sunday. Thoughts? Who is the Merc 1075 expert on here?
Oil pan I would think. Probably snapped, popped and either laying in the lifter valley, or pan. If its in the valley, you might get lucky and just replace the pushrod. Has the lash been checked? If the spring failed, id replace them all or at minimum check them.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't think running the engine with a part loose in there was a bad idea?? It probably is in there destroying your camshaft.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After that run we didnt start the engine again. I thought I had the issue fixed with the coil I replaced and that was the only reason we made the pass. After that run Valve covers came off and I saw the carnage.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
you don't think running the engine with a part loose in there was a bad idea?? It probably is in there destroying your camshaft.
you think???i wonder what the end of the push-rod looks like after flying around in there.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think OSO participation seems to be down across the board, not just the tech section. It seems like only the rediculous and controversial threads get a lot of attention.

Maybe the site has run it's course? Websites and people come and go.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think part of it has to do with when someone does post something, they get two or three people beating them up for being stupid about what they did or didn't do.

Yes, in an ideal world if I heard a noise in the motor, I would tear it completely down and check everything and replace every part that could be even remotely suspect, but let's face it, most of us can't afford to do that.

Does it sometimes end up costing more, both in time and money? Sure, if you reinstall a part that looks solid, and it then breaks and takes out everything around it, you are going to second guess yourself, but its a shot you took.

Case in point, a guy posted a while back about a boat he picked up with some pretty high hours on the small block power. He asked what sort of hours he might expect before having to do any major work. He got a few people telling him they would probably last a while if he kept up his scheduled maintenance, but others started beating up on him telling him they would blow up tomorrow if he didn't go through them.

Where's the fun in that? He knows he's running on borrowed time, hell, we all are, but the doom and gloom predictions and accusations you get from some people make you not want to ask or even answer questions in an open forum.

And while I love GlassDave's optimism, I also tend to think it is more likely that fewer people are running them as much as they have in years past so they aren't breaking as often. I know the traffic on my lake is WAY down this year, even with the "cockroaches". (ski boats)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.