Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Puder? Parts Poll? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26155-puder-parts-poll.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-09-2002 01:50 AM

Puder? Parts Poll?

Where did that thread go???

puder 06-09-2002 02:12 AM

i killed it. I was tired of taking flack for trying to help.

puder 06-09-2002 02:13 AM

in the words of Nero:

Burn Baby, Burn!

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 02:19 AM

I was just getting ready to be blamed for it, puder thanks for stepping up.

OSO

RiverGirl 06-09-2002 02:22 AM

Sunseeker... Thank You.

but, that is not the thread.

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 02:29 AM

Hey Puder,

Think this guy would mind paying for a classified, and by the way Phil Lipship is a banner advertiser. Bet he was glad he invested that money. This was found in a thread tonight:

Anoter"Great"Dealer/Broker Experiance
I would like to post another "Great Experience" With a Broker/Dealer. As I posted last week, I have a client who was looking for a Top Gun ASAP. Thank God for OSO we found what can only be described as two perfect boats. I flew to Ohio and looked at the the first boat and was very impressed. Low hours, Never beat, No stress cracks or scratches, dings, repairs etc. The price was right and so was the boat. I got pictures and a video and left the next day for Florida. After a layover in Chicago I arrived in Miami and went to work. The second boat was at Lip-Ship Performance. For anyone who has never been there before it is like going to Cigarette Heaven. This was my first time meeting Phil and he was a perfect host. The boat sold itself. It is a 1996 that shows like new. Phil had described the boat to me over the phone in perfect detail which I thank him for (Too many people will waste your 3000 mile trip due to embellishing) This boat was mint!!! I took an hour and fifteen minutes on the phone with the buyer as I walked around and described every inch of the boat. The buyer and I agreed Due to the condition of the boat he did not need to fly out for the Sea Trial, I would do it myself based on certain performance expectations. Phil and I arranged this for day two. After closing shop Phil took me to Thunder Alley so I could get that "This is where it all started" Gleam in my eye, and gave me a first hand history account of the area. Day two started with a tour of the Cigarette Factory (I still have an ear to ear stupid grin on my face from it!!!) Which was unbelievable. If I didn't already feel confident telling customers it is the premier offshore powerboat and that the quality of there work is top notch I absolutely feel confident now. Phil pulled me away from the Cig store before my girlfriend had a chance to spend my entire commission (Thank you Phil!) and we went to sea trial. This is where there is a differace in good driver and great drivers. I have seen Jeff Chang Maneuver around Songrath at lido thinking I was about to see $100,000 in damage and they never touch, and I have seen sportfisher captains put the bow pulpit over smaller boats at the gas docks. But the way Phil winged this Top Gun around between two boats and a dock was nothing short of impressive. I tried to keep my cool and act like it wasn't a big deal and I could have done it myself, but sometimes you have to give credit where it is due and say "Wow, I would have just filed insurance claims on three boats by now." We concentrated on gauges and noises and all of the other ways you try to pick a boat apart on a sea trail and Phil gave great performance tips and accurate numbers for that boat. We run both on the inside of the breakwater and in the rough and the boat acceded all of my expectations. Tight in high speed turns (Its a non step) Fast onto plain, and no complaints. We brought the boat back to the dock and the Surveyor met us for his part. Once we got a big thumbs up from the surveyor I made the final two phone calls to the buyer and seller and hopped in a cab for the airport. I took a look at the other Boats at Lip-Ship Performance and I can tell you that when Phil says a boat is a "9" its a "9"!!! (No such thing as a ten) He was a straight shooter and incapable of the Bullsh$%#T that we are all used to. Straight answers, accurate numbers, and no wasted time. I look forward to my next trip to Miami and working with Phil. My clients boat will be back in California Wednesday and will run in the Dick Simon Marine Poker Run with one happy new Top Gun owner driving it. Thank you again to all at Lip-Ship Performance and everyone at OSO that emailed and called about there boats. The Ohio Top Gun is still for sale if anyone is looking to purchase I have all of the info. Jeff, I finally saw your other boat in FL. NICE!!!

Matthew W.DeLisio

puder 06-09-2002 02:40 AM

i actualy didn't realize he advertisezed here. But reguardless what is good about that isn't the fact he payed for avertising, its that soemone who of thier own free will without monetary reward posted about a great buying experience. That is invaluable.

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 02:48 AM

Philly has had 1100 visits to his website from this website and you have never seen his ad or link?

puder 06-09-2002 03:29 AM

i tune out on web ads. I am just used to not paying attention to them.

LOL the funniest thing of all. As i am typing this i just looked over at the ads intentionally and his ad is there. I have seen eth little picture of rio roses a million time but never payed attention to the text of the ad.

I am glad his site has gotten a bunch of hits. But what i was trying to say earlier is that people checking otu his site is great, but what will make sale is the fact that someone gave him a glowing review.

RiverGirl 06-09-2002 05:30 AM

Peww der.
your missing this point to this issue as well ....
quite frankly I am growing tired of it.

I do have one question....
why would you delete the thread..?

Like I said in my post in the thread you deleted.
They are not asking much from us, in return we have our playground.

But, I guess your motives are more on the selfish end.
:rolleyes:

birdog 06-09-2002 07:02 AM

[QUOTE]But, I guess your motives are more on the selfish end. [/
QUOTE]

Why do people have to resort to persanal attacks to get there point across??

I think most of us know Puder better than that!!!

P.S. I like the For Sale section also!!!! :eek:

NASTY HABIT 06-09-2002 09:08 AM

I agree Birdog .........I suppose Puder is getting a commision on everyones parts as they are sold...I like the thread forum classifieds just as they are......

I have visited the banner add sites and will conrinue to do so as needed...

cuda 06-09-2002 11:17 AM

RG, get off Puder. He is expressing his oppinion of banner ads. I too, like most people go "banner blind". If there is something I specifically need, I may look at the links section for a supplier. If you are tired of the issue, don't read the thread!

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 12:18 PM

Still trying to figure out how Puder is trying to help the issue, please explain.

Puder,
I agree about what you said but did you ever think about the fact that maybe that broker found the banner, clicked on the site, found a specific boat that his client wanted, purchased, posted his experience. If that was the sequence of events then ths website is working to its full potential for the advertiser, purchaser, and the broker.

All,
How many times have you seen someone come on here and ask for a phone number and someone respond to see the banner ad or links to visit the website and then they can get the number, address, fax number, etc. As well as feed back from others about the company.

How about leaving the section in question and allowing people to link in their post to their paying ad in the classifieds which has 5 pictures. Then you have the best of both worlds and double the chance of selling your product.

Suggestions welcome!!

OSO

birdog 06-09-2002 12:48 PM

Board Gods: Im still confused {Happens to me alot!} You said you were dropping the 4 sales to make room for other things. Some of us thought we might like to keep the 4 sales.....now it apears this is about advertisors complaing ? I can understand them being upset if other Bus. use the freebies,but what about the little guy with some used thingy or something? Just asking ...some way to keep it non-bus. only?

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 12:57 PM

Ok , 30 days in the classifieds would cost you $10. It is not the indivudual it is the company that is coming to this section and working it to death and never paying for banners or classifieds or even buying a shirt. Look through the ads and you will see the names. We have sent ad packages to the companies, called and no dice. Notice these people don't participate in the general discussion, only in the parts for sale.

So you say we are penalizing the individual because of the company that is not willing to advertise. There has to be a middle ground.

We met someone who who sold $40,000 worth of parts on this website, never has participated on the board or gone to any type of OSO function. There are many other stories, that is just one example.

Actually we got two e-mails this morning requesting pricing on banners, if this was a result of this discussion we thank these people.

Don't discount banner advertising, our advertisers have been very happy with their results. Those of you that ignore the ads they are there to help find you parts and such so you don't have to search the web. Some of these companies have just as many used parts lying around their shops as new parts. Take some time and check out the sites that these banners link to.

When we approach companies for advertising it is usually because we know their topics are being discussed on the board and you all are looking for them and they are looking for you. If you notice there are no, non boating related advertisers on here.

OSO

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 01:01 PM

Birddog,

Advertisers have not complained, you didn't see the original thread last night.

Make room is for a new section that you all will enjoy, it is a surprise. When there are too may sections people complain about the download time because the page gets so long.

OSO

birdog 06-09-2002 01:06 PM

OK I was afraid that was why...I was on a thread talking to a member the other day and a new member {2 posts] PM ed me trying to sell me the stuff we where talking about !! I chucked the the PM & told the member about it!! I guess he is wrong also,but at least he is always on here and helps lots for free. So..I quess there is no way to keep the section just for odds & ends ? Maybe a member could moderate it ?

cuda 06-09-2002 01:12 PM

I can see keeping commercial businesses off the free classified. Many sites do just that. No commercial ads are allowed on the free stuff.

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 01:25 PM

Mear Image, PM me your Company info.

OSO

NASTY HABIT 06-09-2002 01:26 PM

A tough coconut to crack !! Seems as though these companies are the ones that should pay the price for selling merchandise...you obviously know who is using the board for capitol gain ....no way to moderate it ? limit sales/sales posts from such persons....incurring a fee ? I dunno ... of course I'm sure you already know that the sales posts will continue on other threads just as they do now ....

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 01:38 PM

Yes they will but remember it is easier to sell product where a majority of people congregate. The OSO Rules and Polocies that you agree to when you sign up discuss solicitation. If it is reported to us or we find it, it will be dealt with nicely.

OSO

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 01:43 PM

Got it, sent you one back to practice.

OSO

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-09-2002 01:55 PM

To take some of the weight off OSO, I could probably handle a few of the minor Classified ads that are in question. If you got something that's marine related and want me to put it on my Classified page, just let me know. I understand it doesn't make sense to pay 10 or 20 dollars to sell a 15 dollar part. I am sure there probably isn't a whole lot of those type of ads, but if I can help, just let me know. At the bottom of my Classified page is also a LINK directory to many other Classified sites. Check it out at; WWW.SHARKEYMARINE.COM

I am not looking for any commission. If you feel you would like to give something, well then please send it to the DOUG LEWIS FUND on my "CHARITIES" page. He needs it more than I do.

Let me know if I can be of help....

puder 06-09-2002 02:00 PM

my orignal post dealt with the fact that the classifieds aren't as useful as the posted parts. I check the classifeds section every few days where as i check the threads everytime log on. Also teh threads allow you to ask question and setup a deal. Not to mention it tke 2 seconds to post. And most users aren;t likely to place an add for eth spare connecting rod that's been sitting on thier bench of 9 months unused. Whereas they would be willing to post about it.

I'm not quite sure how it degraded into a discusion over the validity of banner advertising.

My initial post was made to HELP. I and many other members feel the posted for sale section is better than the classifieds. Not to bash, not debase your advertising efforts, and certainly not to get a mud slung a me.

puder 06-09-2002 02:01 PM

Originally posted by RiverGirl
But, I guess your motives are more on the selfish end.
:rolleyes:

i'm not even going to justify that with a retort.

puder 06-09-2002 02:04 PM

oh yeah one more thing.

The reason I killed the thread was becasue i was tired of taking **** for trying to help out. I was just willing to accept they are going to charge and leave it at that.

Sharkey, you the man! l ets say we kill this thread now too.

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 02:26 PM

Puder,

How about if we charge a one time fee for posting in a new parts section on the board. Charter members don't pay, and commercail companies not allowed to post?

OSO

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-09-2002 02:40 PM

Thanks Puder, But I don't want to kill this thread. I feel something good is going to come out of it. This is our chance to give our input to OSO on how we feel they should handle the situation. You know what is so great about all this? They are listening!!! They are asking for our input. So if members can refrain from any personal attacks, we're about to come up with a plan. OSO, Thanks for asking our input!!! :)

NASTY HABIT 06-09-2002 03:17 PM

seems like a good place to start charging fees would be the higher end items such as boats.....or charge for posting pictures or more than one picture on such adds.....that would certainly save bandwidth and produce funding for increases needed

BlueMoon 06-09-2002 06:37 PM

Our local newspaper has a section for items/things under $50 bucks, it's a free listing for a short time. Can't you do something simular?

OffshoreOnly 06-09-2002 07:32 PM

Too Old,

We were waiting for that post. The most consistently rational, fair, and intelligent person has now spoken. Too Old will be the Moderator for whatever section we decide to go with. We hope he will be willing to also assist us in making our decision.

OSO

birdog 06-09-2002 07:59 PM

Im with ya OSO. I have alot of respect for Too Olds opinion also

NASTY HABIT 06-09-2002 08:12 PM

Ya know , He's not really that old . Just old enough !!:)

I'm sure it isn't an easy decision to make....quite the little monster you have created

RiverGirl 06-09-2002 09:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by birdog

But, I guess your motives are more on the selfish end. [/
QUOTE]

Why do people have to resort to persanal attacks to get there point across??

I think most of us know Puder better than that!!!
Well, I wasn't.... untill he deleted the thread.
and if you followed my postings since I have registered...
you would know I do not make personal attacks.

now, if you would of read the thread before it was deleted...
you would of seen the point I was trying to make in a manner
that was Not in any form of a "Personal Attack".

I was only being opinionated!!
I was disagreeing and informing him my experience.
Everyone is opinionated here
.... I do it once and I'm bashing him...DONT THINK SO!!

I was also asking for him to give OSO some ideas to solve the problem.

RG

puder 06-09-2002 09:38 PM

Too Old. i was waiting to hear from you as well.

Misunderstanding is the key word in all of this.

I was not trying to bash anything. I perfectly understand it cost $$$ to run this site. I was mearly tryign to state taht i found eth discussion based for sale very useful and effective and didn;t want to see it go. I figured many other members woudl agree with me. This was not and is not about advertising or what have you.

Shark I am goign to ask again. Please just kill this thread. We DON't Need anymor ebickering abotu any of thi crap. i will stand by whatever descision they make abouthe future of the for sale section. It really isn;t taht big of deal. This has gotten blown WAY out of proportion. Let all just drop it.

Too Old you are the voice of OSO wisdom......

BTJ88 06-09-2002 10:15 PM

MY $.02

First I would like to apologize if I am way off topic here. I didn't see the end of the last thread last night.

I see where puder is coming from. It is not so much an issue of $$$, but an issue of convenience. I like having the parts, boats and what nots as part of the board. This way you know when a new item has been posted. It also allows for open discussion about the product. If OSO wants to charge fro ads - fine - I just hope that the new method of advertising will provide the same convenience that the forums do now.:)

Brian

birdog 06-10-2002 07:26 AM

R.G. You might want to direct youre explanation towards Puder.I think he might of mis-understood you also. What you say is true..I have never noticed you attacking any member of this board. Sometimes its very hard to type something without it sounding snotty.{Gives me fits!:D }

I want to thank OSO for trying to help us with this.You have gone the "Extra" mile to find a solution to the 4-sale thing!!I hope you understand I was never *****in,Just hopping for a solution we could all live with.

Again: Thanks for youre help Board Gods!!!!:D

Cord 06-10-2002 09:50 AM

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
Puder,

How about if we charge a one time fee for posting in a new parts section on the board. Charter members don't pay, and commercail companies not allowed to post?

OSO

YES! At least then I'll get a return on my charter membership! [didn't mean for that to sound so sarcastic] For the number of small parts that I've sold, I would have paid OSO at least $250! The second biggest sale was $600 for a pair of drive housings that took over a year to sell! Now I'm supposed to pay $10 a month? Yea, it's not alot of money, but why should I bother for a part that's not moving? Because of OSO both the buyer and seller are happy. And that means that both parties are going to come back and read the banners that pay for the board.

There are two things that makes the board work. The obvious one is the bulletin board. The second crital element are the private ads. If we have a problem with comercial people posting in the classifieds section, then send them a bill! They read and agreed to the disclaimer!