Notices

newbie to boating

Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the ad isn't very descriptive but what about something like this for the sake of discussion?

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2539410187.html
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Man I would take a ride and look at that Sutphen that OL40SVX posted. Thats a real solid boat with all the goodies in your price range. Would be a great boat for Lake Michigan also.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

That Baja would be a good entry level boat into the go fast world. I have a 1988 240 sport myself and have been happy with it. Its got the stock 454 mag which has not had any major issues. Just typical type maintenance issues. The biggest issue I have had with my boat is wood rot in the interior. Baja did not use pressure treated plywood in the construction of the interior and the foam will hold moisture, causing the wood seat, hatch and side panels to rot over time. I just about replaced all the parts on mine with new pressure treated outdoor wood and stainless parts. As for the performance, it tops out a hair under 60 with a 23 pitch clever prop and light load. Its a heavy boat with a 5000 lb dry weight. Takes the rough stuff well and is very solid to drive.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

The thing to keep in mind, any older boat can have issues. No matter what the make. Some are made better than others, but if they were not taken care of or maintained, they will have issues. As mentioned, look around, aske questions and dont be hesitant to ask someone about their boat if you are out and about. Alot of people love talking about their boats. As mentioned, some good boats in your price range are Baja, Donzi, Wellcraft, Sutphen, Pantera, Formula, Fountain, Checkmate and the list goes on.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Seth-I am in the Denver area and have a 25' Checkmate for sale well within your price range. We can do a sea trial on Cherry Creek or Chatfield.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2572520685.html
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

www.yachtsurvey.com has some good articles.