Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Alternators..rebuild or buy new?? >

Alternators..rebuild or buy new??

Notices

Alternators..rebuild or buy new??

Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternators..rebuild or buy new??

I have twin merc 7.4 with about 800 hrs and notice my system output is ok during the day, not as high as i would like it to be, but when running at night, all the loads with the lights on will pull system output down to about 12v. I have called a very reputable electrical rebuild company in the area and discussed this issue with them. They said its common for voltage regulators to get "relaxed" and not increase the "field" when load is applyed. My question is this, is it better "more cost effective" to buy new or just overhaul what i have. They said they check out everything and I have used them in the past for automotive alts with very good luck. Has anyone been down this road?? I don't know what size (amps) i have but may want to increase amp output to charge my house bank, which i plan to add more batteries for an inverter system in the future.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I have twin merc 7.4 with about 800 hrs and notice my system output is ok during the day, not as high as i would like it to be, but when running at night, all the loads with the lights on will pull system output down to about 12v. I have called a very reputable electrical rebuild company in the area and discussed this issue with them. They said its common for voltage regulators to get "relaxed" and not increase the "field" when load is applyed. My question is this, is it better "more cost effective" to buy new or just overhaul what i have. They said they check out everything and I have used them in the past for automotive alts with very good luck. Has anyone been down this road?? I don't know what size (amps) i have but may want to increase amp output to charge my house bank, which i plan to add more batteries for an inverter system in the future.
Have your alternator rebuilt with added amperage
Old 09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

i will check with them for pricing, they do have the external regulator on the back. does anyone know the stock output? maybe part # for maybe 100amp or higher??
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

better to rebuild,if you have a reputable shop near...there is nothing worse than trying to install an alternator with a slightly different bracket set-up...usually on sunday morning

Last edited by pqjack; 09-04-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: double
Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

better to rebuild,if you have a reputable shop near...there is nothing worse than trying to install an alternator with a slightly different bracket set-up...usually on sunday morning...jmo
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-3426-marine.aspx

I had one go this weekend,a member recommended this place.Mercury was $300.00 they were $79.00 new with a one year warranty.Will let you know how it is when I get it,if you type in the Mercury part number in the search it will come up to the replacement.They are knock offs but for that price I can buy almost five of them.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Yep, rebuild. Same with starters. Better to have a local guy with his good word on the line than a rebuild factory in Mexico pumping them out by the thousands.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a meter on your batteries to make sure that your readings at the dash are correct! Would suck to replace them and find out you have a different issue....
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

also load test your betteries. Alternators don't put out many amps at idle/low RPM's. So if you are running lights, stereo.... they can draw lower especially if the battery is not up to par.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

batteries are new, i have used the dbelectrical for atv starter several times and had good luck with them. I have checked voltage at the battery with meter, it comes and goes. one time it will be a solid 14.3 and others 12.9-13.2 Its time to have them looked at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.