Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why Isn't Mercury Marine Using the GM LS Series Engines? >

Why Isn't Mercury Marine Using the GM LS Series Engines?

Notices

Why Isn't Mercury Marine Using the GM LS Series Engines?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Why Isn't Mercury Marine Using the GM LS Series Engines?

GM Marine Division has a whole new lineup of LS series engines from 385 to 530 horsepower. I would imagine these are more efficient, cleaner, and lighter than the old engines Mercury Marine is using. Anyone know why they are not switching over to the newer LS engines?

Michael
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think at this point they are developing all their own engine platforms... I would think this would be a cheaper alternative but what do I know lol..
Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

I would guess cost is a major issue, its hard enough to sell new boats right now and switching to an LS based block would probably add 20% at least to the cost of a new boat, even if the performance would be a little better.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's only a matter of time ...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
I would guess cost is a major issue, its hard enough to sell new boats right now and switching to an LS based block would probably add 20% at least to the cost of a new boat, even if the performance would be a little better.
I don't know if I can completely buy into that.

Example......Good friend of mine does high end auto restorations for a living. Right now he has a brand new LS9 motor and tranny package sitting on a pallet in his shop. Tranny is blueprinted and matched to the engine. Total package was right around $54k. I can't help but think the tranny was at least 25-30% of that price. I believe the motor was rated right around 635 hp give or take.

I'm sorry, but that's a chit ton of hp for the money in my book.

Buck
Old 09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slap "Marine" on teh side of the LS9 and double the price....
Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
I don't know if I can completely buy into that.

Example......Good friend of mine does high end auto restorations for a living. Right now he has a brand new LS9 motor and tranny package sitting on a pallet in his shop. Tranny is blueprinted and matched to the engine. Total package was right around $54k. I can't help but think the tranny was at least 25-30% of that price. I believe the motor was rated right around 635 hp give or take.

I'm sorry, but that's a chit ton of hp for the money in my book.

Buck
Mercruiser is not offering a 635hp small block, not for a REALLY long time.
A 320hp 6.2 MPI vs the cost of an LS based 320 hp is not even going to be close, the LS is going to be significantly more expensive. Maybe a cast iron truck block version would cut some of the cost but it will still be a lot higher than a good ole small block
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

It probably also important to realize that for the model year 2013-2014 all the LS based engines are being replaced by direct injected versions of these engines which are significantly different in design and structure. The current LS engines will go out of production at GM then with no extended manufacturing of the old LS platform being done at GM.
The current higher expense of the LS GM powertrain engine to the marinizers like Merc and this very soon obsolescence will preclude Merc or others from developing this as the new small block replacement. The future of the current LS engine as a marine platform is pretty much short lived if not DOA in 2013.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar