Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody have "connections" at CMI?  Need tailpipes re-made! >

Anybody have "connections" at CMI? Need tailpipes re-made!

Notices

Anybody have "connections" at CMI? Need tailpipes re-made!

Old 06-09-2002, 03:29 PM
kook

Question Anybody have "connections" at CMI? Need tailpipes re-made!

Waited for quite some time for my CMI's. Turns-out the tailpipes were not made to the correct dimensions, as confirmed by CMI (see attached pic) - something about the order not being entered correctly - they were made to the dimensions that THEY had entered, but what they entered was incorrect. I'm guessing the pipes have to be re-made - they were supposed to be 3+" shorter than they are (to allow for Teague switchables, if needed in the future) and, more importantly, they are about a full inch too high back at the tips. The "man" to talk to there is Jeff Firestein (sp?) I believe, and he has been out for a while - due back in on Tuesday (6/11). FYI - the headers and pipes were ordered by Bruce Dudley, not by myself.

There's a lot at stake here (in my own selfish little world); if my boat returns in full running condition by the upcoming weekend (obviously including exhaust), then I waive any/all late fees on Bruce (who agreed, in writing, to the fees)..... Plus, I get my boat back, after 5 months (and an ulcer, nervous breakdown, etc...). So we both make out well.

Anyone got an inside connection at CMI? I'm in need of some assitance in pushing this job through. The existing tailpipes were already overnighted back to CMI, and are in their possesion.

Much appreciated,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Anybody have "connections" at CMI?  Need tailpipes re-made!-starboardtailpipemisalignment-small-.jpg  

Last edited by kook; 06-09-2002 at 05:45 PM.

Old 06-10-2002, 06:23 AM
kook

ttt

Old 06-10-2002, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had problems with tail pipes also. Jeff had problem taken care of right away & had them sent out to me. After I saw new ones work I emailed him to thank him & tell him they worked out. He called me about a week after I had gotten new tails & said he had not heard from me so He thought that was good news. I told him I had sent an email to him thanking him but he said he had not gotten it.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Kook,

I think I know the guy who can help you. Call Bruce Wolff (marine engine builder in S.W. Michigan 616-422-1090) He has dealt with CMI with on a few occasions with problems such as yours. In fact when I once called CMI last year they recommended Bruce Wolff for getting any header dimensions, etc. They jump when Bruce calls. When I talked to Bruce he had told me quite a story about a problem that he once had with CMI and now CMI has quite a respect for Bruce. I quite sure he would be the one who can help you out with your problem.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:54 AM
kook

Thumbs up CMI rules!

Appreciate the feedback. Jeff at CMI just called me (while on vacation) - he happened to check his voice mail this morning. Said it should not be a problem getting a quick turn-around on tailpipe re-work or remake. I was extremely surprised to hear from Jeff..... I just left him a voice mail last night, describing the situation. He was extremely pleasant to work with.

THANK YOU CMI !!!