Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Low Profile Tires on a Trailer? >

Low Profile Tires on a Trailer?

Notices

Low Profile Tires on a Trailer?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the hell would a trailer manufactuer do this??? I really miss my Hallett trailer lol!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Registered

let me make some calls in the morning i will call my tire distributor and let you know if there is something in that size im not to far from you riverside....
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chewyjr18
let me make some calls in the morning i will call my tire distributor and let you know if there is something in that size im not to far from you riverside....
Thanks, much appreciated!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
I have an 09 Nas mfg trailer (not a big fan of it though). I replaced all 6 tires to 205/75/15, but they are rubbing the fenders. The trailer calls for 215/60/15 but they will most likely have to be car tires. I didnt feel comfortable with car tires on a trailer, hence the reason I went with trailer tires. But since they are rubbing, I have to change them. Would you guys feel ok about having car tires on the trailer? They would obviously be the highest load rating tires I could find (94 - ~1500lbs). Do they even make trailer tires this size?

Thanks,
Mike
I had to do that with my HTM trailer. I would blow out one to two tires a year using car tires.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Ok! You should be ok with (car) tires with the loads that you are running. I am with you and don't like it but they do this all the time with wake board boats for the cool look. If you want an easy fix you can add a lift block to the bottom side of your trailer then attach your torsion axle or order new axles with a different start angle.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

My tire guy said they could order a set of LT (truck tires) for me that are 8 ply. Only thing is they are 195/70/15. The height of the tires would be almost 1 1/2 inches lower than the ones on there now (205/75/15). My question is: would 195 be ok? Im sure it wont look as good as the 215's but what about stability of the tire difference (may be a silly question, but I have never had this issue)?

Thanks for all the replies,
Mike
Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

I would think stability would be fine. Another option if you didn't want to have odd ball tires would be to put spacer between the axle and the frame (I assume torsion springs)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by happy hours
I would think stability would be fine. Another option if you didn't want to have odd ball tires would be to put spacer between the axle and the frame (I assume torsion springs)
A couple people have suggested that, Is that a simple process? I have no idea how that would be done and dont even know what spacers would look like. Is this something I can do in the driveway or should I take it to a "trailer place"?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

Is the trailer frame steel or aluminum? I would probably use some stolid bar stock of the dimension of the frame width and the height you want to add. Definitely use some good high strength bolts too.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, lifer tire guy here.
If you decide to stay with 2156015's get the HR, VR or WR's which have more heat resistance than the standard performance tires do.
I also looked up the load index on those tires for you. The 93's can carry 1433 lbs and the 94's can take 1477. So you can only have 5732 or 5908 lbs of trailer & boat on those tires.
The 195/70R15 Load range D's are for water tank equipped VW camper vans, they are really sturdy, although they are 1/2" taller than the 215/60's. That should fit fine - only 1/4" of the height is above the axle. But the real benefit is that their capacity is 1984 lbs each, that gives you 2000 lbs more capacity, a nice cushion. If you get those, and I suggest you do, remind your tire shop to use high pressure valves since the D's run at higher pressure. Probably 65 PSI, read the sidewall to make sure.
If you do the block lift remember that everything above the axles goes up by the thickness of the blocks. So if you have a low bridge, garage door or tree nearby you need to relearn your clearances. Also you may need to replumb your brakes if the lines won't reach the extra distance.
If you do the lift it would also be advisable to put bolts through the blocks, frame and axle mounts to keep the axles located where you want them. I'm assuming you have the torsion spring crank style axles. If you have leaf springs they can be flipped &/or blocked also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.