Low Profile Tires on a Trailer? >

Low Profile Tires on a Trailer?

Notices

Low Profile Tires on a Trailer?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Profile Tires on a Trailer?

I have an 09 Nas mfg trailer (not a big fan of it though). I replaced all 6 tires to 205/75/15, but they are rubbing the fenders. The trailer calls for 215/60/15 but they will most likely have to be car tires. I didnt feel comfortable with car tires on a trailer, hence the reason I went with trailer tires. But since they are rubbing, I have to change them. Would you guys feel ok about having car tires on the trailer? They would obviously be the highest load rating tires I could find (94 - ~1500lbs). Do they even make trailer tires this size?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are they 3500# axles? How much does the boat weigh!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Yes they are 3500# axles and the boat weighs 4500 (Magic Sceptor 28)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always use "ST" rated trailer tires. They're designed to handle the loads and twisting forces when manuevering. (Want to guess how I learned this lessson?....)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Always use "ST" rated trailer tires. They're designed to handle the loads and twisting forces when manuevering. (Want to guess how I learned this lessson?....)
Yeah, thats my train of thought also! But in this situation, what can be done. The trailers came from the factory like this, and if I cant find any st rated tires in a size that fits, what can be done?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you cant find the right trailer tire, run a light truck E rated tire. More expensive and better quality IMO
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
if you cant find the right trailer tire, run a light truck E rated tire. More expensive and better quality IMO
Also check the sidewall plys. You don't want it to roll of the rim in a hard turn.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Can you raise the fenders? Maybe replace with a different style?
What is the suspension configuration? Can you flip the axle if it's leaf springs? Maybe run a spacer between the axle mounting plate and the trailer frame if it's torsion?

I'd go with an LT truck tire over an ST any day. Myco ships all of their trailers with LT tires installed.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What is the suspension configuration? Can you flip the axle if it's leaf springs? Maybe run a spacer between the axle mounting plate and the trailer frame if it's torsion?

I'd go with an LT truck tire over an ST any day. Myco ships all of their trailers with LT tires installed.
+1 look at the axel and see if the sit in the middle of the spring,,swap to under the springs if they have leaf springs,this will give you about 4 more inches of clearance..if they are tortion you can put a steel block between the frame and the axel mount to raise it..
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

No I cant raise the fenders (welded to the frame). Its not leaf springs, but I'll have to take a look at the axles to see if there is some adjustment.

In regards to the LT truck tires, do they make them in 215/60/15?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.