what to look for when buying a boat >

what to look for when buying a boat

Notices

what to look for when buying a boat

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for when buying a boat

I am tentatively going for a seatrial on this boat this coming Sunday.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2572520685.html

I have been reading every article imaginable out there concerning what to look for when buying a boat but was hoping you guys could shed some light on what to look for, how to test/check to make sure everything is in proper working order such as motor, stringers, floor, transom....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind doing a little work myself getting the boat into great shape, but don't want it to either blow up or sink or blow up and then sink

Thanks again guys,

Seth

EDIT: during a seatrial what are things to look for, i.e. while the boat is going etc.....What normally takes place on a seatrial aside from being on the boat on the water lol.

Last edited by seth0687; 09-08-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional questions
Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

well, truthfully you shouldnt look for anything . . . your surveyor should

All kidding aside you should have it professionally surveyed. I am in the marine biz and specialize in structural fiberglass (20 years) and even I have my boats surveyed. It is truly money well spent. You need a trained eye that is not excited about getting a new toy Give it a good look over as best ya can but make no deals till a pro (with references) looks at it. Look at gimbal condition and how loose it is. See if it has an hour meter and also how much of it is still factory OEM over any after market stuff. Pick the sellers brain to see what kind of person he or she is to give an indication as to how the boat was kept and treated. good luck, i always liked the Convincors and if i ever had a single screw that would probably be it. I would be very skeptical of 110 hrs on a 93 though, and that is most certainly a non stock engine. Still looks like a good price and if you can get them to budge on the number theres probably some room for any needed minor improvements it might need.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my first boat last year. I passed on three others before buying because I had good surveyors that spotted costly issues. Based on my experience you might spend about 300-400 bucks for a boat that size. maybe less or maybe more if you have to get someone else to check the engine. Like was said before, its the best money you'll ever spend.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
well, truthfully you shouldnt look for anything . . . your surveyor should

All kidding aside you should have it professionally surveyed. I am in the marine biz and specialize in structural fiberglass (20 years) and even I have my boats surveyed. It is truly money well spent. You need a trained eye that is not excited about getting a new toy Give it a good look over as best ya can but make no deals till a pro (with references) looks at it. Look at gimbal condition and how loose it is. See if it has an hour meter and also how much of it is still factory OEM over any after market stuff. Pick the sellers brain to see what kind of person he or she is to give an indication as to how the boat was kept and treated. good luck, i always liked the Convincors and if i ever had a single screw that would probably be it. I would be very skeptical of 110 hrs on a 93 though, and that is most certainly a non stock engine. Still looks like a good price and if you can get them to budge on the number theres probably some room for any needed minor improvements it might need.
Hey thanks guys, I've been trying to look at finding a surveyor our here but marinas are few and far between up in the mountains of Colorado lol.

Also, when you said 110 hrs sounds weird, that is only 110 hrs on the motor since it was rebuilt. What about the motor makes it not look stock?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm still very new at this.

Thanks guys,

Seth
Old 09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered

that seems cheap
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by seth0687
What about the motor makes it not look stock?
For starters; intake, carb, exhaust, plug wires, flame arrestor ...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
For starters; intake, carb, exhaust, plug wires, flame arrestor ...
Ahhhh, it is all begining to make sense now lol.

Anyone else, Bueller?!??!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I would also recommend a good surveyor. They will find things you'll never see. They know where to look.

Also a compression test on the engine is a must. If you can get an oil sample, I would do that, and have it sent to a lab for analysis.

While you are looking at the boat, bring a pad and paper. Make a list of everything you find that is broken/damaged (not hard to find things on most used boats). The when you get home, price every item (plus labor if you don't plan on doing your own work). Add it up. You may be surprised. I know I was on a couple boats, and ended up not buying them (a good move).

Michael