Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/261969-commentary-what-would-tom-newby-do.html)

Matt Trulio 09-08-2011 10:03 PM

Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do?

Sorry for such a late post, driving all day to Southern California. Fortunately I could put my son behind the wheel so I could write, http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...-newby-do.html

PhantomChaos 09-08-2011 10:52 PM

Awesome......thanks Matt!

OldSchool 09-09-2011 05:28 AM

Good stuff Matt. I had the pleasure of meeting Tom multiple times. His smile, humor and wit left a lasting impression. :):(

C_Spray 09-09-2011 09:38 AM

Based on the two days that I (and Tim Sharkey) spent with him in 2003, I would say that Tom would take whatever was happening and turn it into a party.

Matt Trulio 09-09-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3499675)
Based on the two days that I (and Tim Sharkey) spent with him in 2003, I would say that Tom would take whatever was happening and turn it into a party.

Tom was big fun on the road ... but that's for next year's tribute.

Padraig 09-09-2011 11:51 AM

I can't believe it has been four years!
I never met Tom Newby but boy I loved his photography. He was the best!

Thanks, Matt.

Tom A. 09-09-2011 12:27 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2003 on the A/C Poker Run and still can't believe he is not with us. He was a great guy with a true love of the sport and an amazing ability.
I think he would like the story of how I got my boat.

Four years ago, I had just sold my Kryptonite and I was looking for the perfect boat. I really wanted a 38 ZrComp. I was driving in my truck when I get a call from my friend Bob. He says, "Hey Tom, I am out at Tom Newby's funeral and I am talking with Lee Kimmell (then president of Donzi). Remember the in house Zrc we have been pushing Donzi to sell us? Well, I got him to agree to your offer but it is a one time shot right now. Do you want it?"
After spending months researching, looking at other boats and figuring finances, here I was faced with an OMG this is really happening! Then it hit me, I just agreed to buy the second most expensive thing in my life, sight unseen in a two minute phone call while driving down the Parkway!

Thank you Tom for all your wonderful work and for magically bringing all the pieces of the puzzle together to make my dream of owning a true offshore boat a reality.

Marginmn 09-09-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3499819)
I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2003 on the A/C Poker Run and still can't believe he is not with us. He was a great guy with a true love of the sport and an amazing ability.
I think he would like the story of how I got my boat.

Four years ago, I had just sold my Kryptonite and I was looking for the perfect boat. I really wanted a 38 ZrComp. I was driving in my truck when I get a call from my friend Bob. He says, "Hey Tom, I am out at Tom Newby's funeral and I am talking with Lee Kimmell (then president of Donzi). Remember the in house Zrc we have been pushing Donzi to sell us? Well, I got him to agree to your offer but it is a one time shot right now. Do you want it?"
After spending months researching, looking at other boats and figuring finances, here I was faced with an OMG this is really happening! Then it hit me, I just agreed to buy the second most expensive thing in my life, sight unseen in a two minute phone call while driving down the Parkway!

Thank you Tom for all your wonderful work and for magically bringing all the pieces of the puzzle together to make my dream of owning a true offshore boat a reality.

Cool story.

Biggus 09-09-2011 12:35 PM

He was quite the cool character for sure. :drink: The last time I saw Tom was at the Clevelander during the Miami Boat Show. Old School and I had some meaningful dialog with Tom at the bar that night. :drink::drink: What a good dude and what a shame...

Kurt

Knot 4 Me 09-09-2011 12:46 PM

I was speaking with Joe Schaldenbrand on the docks at Shooter's 21 on Saturday of the Shootout in August 2007. We had tied up the first F-4 near the factory's F-4 and someone had asked Joe if he could get up on the bow of the factory F-4 to snap some pics. I asked Joe if that was Tom Newby and he said, "yes". A bit later, Tom was back on the docks and I shook his hand and told him I looked forward to seeing his work every month in Powerboat. He was very approachable and cordial. A couple of weeks later he was gone.