Notices

NY race sucks

Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Good one ! I couldnt figure out how to word what you just said.

Question though...................The security arrangements for todays events have been known for months and months.

Given that the public would find it odd to watch a race at 9am on any day and given that the dedicated SBI guys are travelling some distances and given that the afterparty and chillin on the docks is part of the weekend.................why would this race even be held under the existing restrictions??
Showing up consistently is what keeps sites alive I would think . We need more of that thinking in our sport .
Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobo
Showing up consistently is what keeps sites alive I would think . We need more of that thinking in our sport .
I agree with that 100%. No argument.

But it would have been CONSISTENT if it were 1 Saturday either before or after the special weekend.

These races are an EVENT which includes the comraderie/holiday for the spouses/chillin with the other teams etc. etc.
To have to pack up and leave asap just seems to defeat part of what an EVENT should be.

No biggie.....just feel bad for the guys that drag a team to a race from any long distance.

I'm glad they had good weather at least.

Last edited by Catastrophe; 09-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
because of all the events surrounding 911, race was scheduled for 9am. and race and all boats had to be out of Lib State Park around 11. If you would have checked the SBI site you would have seen the schedule.
Question is: When did the SBI officials get notification from the City (or some authority) that the Park had to be cleared of all personnel and equipment by 11am?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Small Block,

I see you have been a member here for a little over a year now, but perhaps had you looked into this particular event's history it has been averaging less than 12 boats for many years now. They had a little spike this year due to several teams that race OPA offered to come to the event.

So, I am not sure what you were really expecting when you got there. I have covered the event in years past for the sake I had nothing else to do on that day. Last year I arrived 1/2 hour after the scheduled start of 12 PM knowing how rare it is to ever start on time. I literally rolled up at 12:30 asked the Valet to keep the truck out front and told them I would not be more than and hour. I was back in my truck in less than an hour and on my way home. A new record for me in covering an event, but at least I picked up a new advertiser and additional work by doing so. Probably the 1st time in all these years it paid off to even go.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
He lost me at daredevil being cool..ugh...
LMFAO.... Thats funny sheet.....
Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by catastrophe

Question though...................The security arrangements for todays events have been known for months and months.

Given that the public would find it odd to watch a race at 9am on any day and given that the dedicated SBI guys are travelling some distances and given that the afterparty and chillin on the docks is part of the weekend.................why would this race even be held under the existing restrictions??
Alec,

The real question is, with the over all history of the lack of support from the SBI racers to even come to this event, the lack of spectators or promotion of the event, why would someone go through so much effort to keep a site going ???

I realize they wanted to try and make the race "SPECIAL" for 911, but it seems it was more of a Security nightmare and additional headache for law enforcement and everyone else involved from what I have been hearing. After all, the Coast Guard was holding their ceremonies on the Aircraft Carrier starting at 10 AM that same morning which meant an overlap of the race boats by 1/2 hour while speeches were being given...

Can anyone tell us what SBI had done to honor the 911 Anniversary ???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES

Can anyone tell us what SBI had done to honor the 911 Anniversary ???
Tim,

I would love to tell you however with all the security measures and restrictions, we are not allowed to tell you.

On a serious note, thank you to SBI for properly informing us and keeping us up to date as to what we needed to do and where to be. It made getting through the security easier for them and for us. Thanks to Jeff and Dee for being there to cover this event.

Trent

Dont know where the getting the boats out of there by 11am came from, maybe off the race course, but we stayed until approx 2-3pm in the pits and after we left there was still 5-6 boats there
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smallblock
NY Race sucked ass...left 5 am to get there ..got to the race to find race underway..with 2 laps left..and nothing going on after race ..what a waste of a day & i just got home ....never do a hudson river NY again ..every other race i been to was kool but NY sucked...met scott & crew from team daredevil very kool peeps congradss to todays winners
I understand that you drove up from MD and it was a long ride, but did you check the website to see that the race started @ 9am?

http://superboat.com/21st-annual-new...ribute-to-911/
Attached Thumbnails NY race sucks-sbi-nyc-2011-race-day-sch.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I realize they wanted to try and make the race "SPECIAL" for 911, but it seems it was more of a Security nightmare and additional headache for law enforcement and everyone else involved from what I have been hearing. After all, the Coast Guard was holding their ceremonies on the Aircraft Carrier starting at 10 AM that same morning which meant an overlap of the race boats by 1/2 hour while speeches were being given...
?
Everything went smoothly. Yes, due to the fact that Governor Christie was at Liberty landing park for the dedication of the “Empty Sky Memorial”. http://woodbridge.patch.com/articles...#photo-7707433 The Homeland Security restrictions at the park was for Christie & the “Empty Sky Memorial”, we were lucky enough due to the long history of this race to be allowed to have it. Many racers who do not normally attend the NYC race attended this year. This SBI race now has a 20+ year tradition of having this race the weekend after Labor Day.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Question is: When did the SBI officials get notification from the City (or some authority) that the Park had to be cleared of all personnel and equipment by 11am?
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The park DID NOT have to be cleared by 11am. I do not know where this information came from. The park WAS NOT open to the public until after Gov Christie left. Yes it was a little of an inconvenience for those that usually watch the race at the end of the park, but there are plenty of places to view the race on the Hudson River. As a matter of fact, Hoboken & Exchange Place offer better viewing of the race course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.