Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat driving schools, who "Accredits" them? >

Boat driving schools, who "Accredits" them?

Notices

Boat driving schools, who "Accredits" them?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever failed this class?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Zone
How about a poll of those who have actually taken the Tres class. What do you think about it? Was it what you expected? Would you do it again? Do you feel you are a better driver today? Was it worth the cost? Just curious
As a manufacturer I have sent a few clients through the class. I consider it pricey but worth it. But then again it depends on the boater.

Let's face it younger vs. older, drinker vs. non-drinker. New hi-perf owner vs seasoned 5 boat owner guy that started with a Baja, moved up to a Fountain or Cigarette and then eventually builds an Active Thunder and knows the ropes makes all the difference.

Tres knows boats and safety. Racing and dealing with egos gives you the upper hand. He's done it all. Not sure if Brad Schoenwald is still involved but he is worth his weight in gold as well.

Don't know if it is accredited but I do believe it is worth going to.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Zone
How about a poll of those who have actually taken the Tres class. What do you think about it? Was it what you expected? Would you do it again? Do you feel you are a better driver today? Was it worth the cost? Just curious
Not what i expected
i learned way more than i expected
worth every penny
no regrets
i may even take it again since it was a few years ago that i took it
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Just took the class at Lake Cumberland this weekend and I would highly recommend it. I come from a boat drag racing background and I am a certified tournament ski boat driver. I have driven almost every kind of inland boat you can think of. But I still learned a lot that is going to help me enjoy the performance of my boat safely.
Tres understands and designs hull running surfaces. He teaches you the truth about different bottom designs. His goal is for you to be able to look at the bottom of a boat and have a good idea about how it will handle.
He spent at least 3 hours with me in my boat. He first drove my boat
to feel how it handled and then instructed me the best way to operate it. The best trim selections for my boat. Recommendations for set up improvements were given.
I thought my boat didn't turn well, but I was wrong, as it does turn well.
He discusses the causes of performance boat accidents and this was eye opening. I think it was a great opportunity.