Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
This is the "old man"
I was sitting in Long Island Sound when they came by..
Those "tower of power" tall 6 cylinder Mercs!
I swore I would have a cat one day..
took 40 years!!!!
That is the kind of inspiration that the young boaters of today need to see......... and the boat builders need to make the boats capable of running these kinds of races and come back in one piece..
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
That is the kind of inspiration that the young boaters of today need to see......... and the boat builders need to make the boats capable of running these kinds of races and come back in one piece..
I have definitely been inspired by everything "go fast boat" related for as long as I remember...
Its events like these that make me say "one day that will be me running in this event!"

Can't wait to attend this event, as it is right in my area near where I live and boat.

I will be on deck again to provide high quality video and pictures of the boats and the participants.

Looking forward to seeing the 32' Cary raceboat and talking to you again, Charlie.

~Sam
Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
I have definitely been inspired by everything "go fast boat" related for as long as I remember...
Its events like these that make me say "one day that will be me running in this event!"

Can't wait to attend this event, as it is right in my area near where I live and boat.

I will be on deck again to provide high quality video and pictures of the boats and the participants.

Looking forward to seeing the 32' Cary raceboat and talking to you again, Charlie.

~Sam
Good to hear from you Sam. Sorry, but that mini-hawk is a little too small for the small boat class.

There will be a record setting center console that will be there, to race and to try to go the whole distance with no refueling.

Who knows, maybe one of the boat manufacturer's will enter to show the marketplace that they really can build a boat, that can actually be used offshore......maybe even one of Don's original companies...Formula, Donzi, Magnum, Cigarette...????
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Didn't offshore racing put most of these companies on the map?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear from you Sam. Sorry, but that mini-hawk is a little too small for the small boat class.

There will be a record setting center console that will be there, to race and to try to go the whole distance with no refueling.

Who knows, maybe one of the boat manufacturer's will enter to show the marketplace that they really can build a boat, that can actually be used offshore......maybe even one of Don's original companies...Formula, Donzi, Magnum, Cigarette...????
Correct, the Mini Hawk is too small, but if its still for sale, i'll pull it down to the marina on trailer. My Mini Hawk actually has the exact hull colors (but no decals) of Don's winning raceboat, "The Cigarette"

How many boats do we have signed up so far? If there are any: Donzi/Formula/Magnum/Cigarette boats signed up for the race....we'll have to see how they perform in this event....and if they live up to their roots in offshore racing events and marathons.

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 09-13-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

They sure do Charlie....(old guy again)
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-power-cat-muskoka.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Charlie, should we tell them the first Moppie was made out of wood!!!!(old guy again)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Didn't offshore racing put most of these companies on the map?

Sorry Steve.....No, the real success was built on who could add more logos and number of colors to the latest model.

The ability to go out in wicked conditions and come back not only in one piece, but willing and able to take more, had nothing to do with the current marketing plans.

I know it frustrates the hell out of us old guys, to see a whole new generation missing out on a type of racing that developed seamanship, navigation and good mechanical skills. The current organizations are not offering this option and the boat owners don't know how much fun it really is.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Charlie, should we tell them the first Moppie was made out of wood!!!!(old guy again)
The first boat that Dick Bertram saw with this design, was a little 25 foot deep Vee that Ray Hunt was using as a support boat out of Newport, for the 1958 America's Cup races. He asked Hunt to make him a larger version for running the Miami to Nassau race.

The first Moppie was 31 feet long and made of wood. Sam Griffith laughed when it saw the big Vee hanging down instead of a flat planing surface.....then he took a ride in it out of Government Cut......and history was made.

Ken what a beautiful photo of that Power Cat.

Also, the boat that won every race it entered in 1966 was Ghost Rider, a cold molded wooden raceboat.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-ghost-rider0006-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th-ghost-rider-017a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 09-14-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry Steve.....No, the real success was built on who could add more logos and number of colors to the latest model.

drink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.