Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th >

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default no one will like what I have to say, it's just an opinion

get on with the racing, none of this spectulation matters anyway!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 09-15-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: It just doesn't matter
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Well good morning!!! It certainly has been active since I last checked this thread. It looks like the question has been answered and now maybe we can get back to THE RACE...

I need some logistics help on the south shore of Long Island.....I have a potential entrant that does not have enough fuel capacity for the 271 miles and needs a refueling stop, but he needs race fuel.

Does anyone have any ideas where he could stop and get this type of fuel....Does Shinnecock have any pumps with race fuel?

All help appreciated.
East Shore Marine Lindenhurst has 100 octane http://www.yachtworld.com/eastshorem...emarine_0.html
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the reason 2fast9tech2 is asking the question is historically the NPBA / Billy Frenz events typically are very expensive and can come up short on value as he does these events "for profit".

This is where I think a lot of the conflict is... Boaters love the idea of his events, but Billy's main objective is making money, so I think sometimes the boaters feel shortchanged when their suggestions and expectations fall on deaf or unresponsive ears. And once someone has a bad taste in your mouth, it's sometimes tough to continue supporting the cause.

For this reason, I'm glad to see Charlie is working as the front man on co-promoting this event.

Last year's race was flop with only a few boats entering. Why didn't more boats enter? Was it the organization, the cost, the timing, etc... Maybe all of the above. Regardless, last year's race was a disappointment. Of the few teams that entered, only one team had the heart, desire, etc to bother running the entire course when conditions weren't ideal for a record setting pace (although there were claims of potential mechanical issues from a team or two). All would hope this doesn't repeat again this year.

Despite how anyone feels about about Frenz, the NPBA, or the motives for doing these events, I believe most would agree that it would be nice to see this race do well. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would love to see someone other than Frenz promoting and capitalizing on this race, and I know for a fact there are folks not running it simply because they don't want to support him, but at the end of the day at least someone is providing an avenue for this race to happen... which is probably good for everyone and good for the sport. Let's hope there's more than one boat going around the island this year and that there are no real issues or injuries. Best of luck to all!

BTW, regarding the race fuel question, I think there might be one location and hopefully someone knows the name/location of that place... but if not they would have to provide their own remote support crew on the south side of the island. They should keep in mind it could be a little rough out there so they would likely want to refuel in a protected area. If they do this refueling privately, I would hope they do it safely by keeping the transfer grounded and bonded.
EDIT: Steve remembered it!

Last edited by SS930; 09-15-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Steve
East Shore Marine Lindenhurst has 100 octane http://www.yachtworld.com/eastshorem...emarine_0.html
Thanks for the answer. I called them and they do have it available right at the dock so I passed that info on to the boat owner.

If anyone else knows of any other places, please keep the info coming as we may have other teams that can't make it as far as this location.

How about Montauk?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
I think the reason 2fast9tech2 is asking the question is historically the NPBA / Billy Frenz events typically are very expensive and can come up short on value as he does these events "for profit".

Last year's race was flop with only a few boats entering. Why didn't more boats enter? Was it the organization, the cost, the timing, etc... Maybe all of the above. Regardless, last year's race was a disappointment. Of the few teams that entered, only one team had the heart, desire, etc to bother running the entire course when conditions weren't ideal for a record setting pace (although there were claims of potential mechanical issues from a team or two). All would hope this doesn't repeat again this year.

If your not a racer or someone who is working toward helping this race get off the ground and be a success, please put your opinions and those of Fastech2 in the section for that.

The reason this costs what it does is very simple...There is a lot more involved.

For instance if someone asked a football player......Gee your equipment is so expensive compared to mine....why???

The football player might answer, well I have all these pads and helmet and cleats and you just have a tutu and slippers, in short.....There is a lot more involved.

There is a lot more involved and if you are not a racer and don't understand racing, then there is no way it could ever be explained to you or Fastech2....I know he still wants food as part of the deal.

Please go away and let the racers and fans of racing work on this.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your not a racer or someone who is working toward helping this race get off the ground and be a success, please put your opinions and those of Fastech2 in the section for that.
I not only came out to watch the race last year, but I've also given ideas/suggestions/opinions on how it could be improved. Furthermore, last time I checked this IS THE SECTION for my or anyone else's OPINION... it's an open forum and called "General Boating Discussion". I didn't notice any guidelines that stated only promoters and racers can post here...

The reason this costs what it does is very simple...There is a lot more involved.

For instance if someone asked a football player......Gee your equipment is so expensive compared to mine....why???

The football player might answer, well I have all these pads and helmet and cleats and you just have a tutu and slippers, in short.....There is a lot more involved.

There is a lot more involved and if you are not a racer and don't understand racing, then there is no way it could ever be explained to you or Fastech2....I know he still wants food as part of the deal.
Einstein, reread my post. Nowhere did I complain what about this event cost to put on or enter. What I did do is try to provide some insight as to why 2fast9tech2 and others might have an issue. To some the cost to enter is a non-issue. To some of the grassroots guys, cost might be a significant factor. My guess is way back in the day, some of the racers or even winners of this event could not easily swing such fees. Regardless, I don't care what it cost to put it on or enter. What I do care about (as a fan and possibly a potential racer) is if it's going to be done, I would hope that it's done right and more than one boat would be running around the island. If it takes altering the guidelines, price point, or promoter, so be it.

Thanks
Actually, I'm not going anywhere, as outlined above I have every right to be here. But if you want to talk about who belongs to be here posting... since you and Billy are here promoting a "for profit" event, shouldn't you guys be supporting OSO as a paying Sponsor??? Last I checked that wasn't the case, all I saw was the OSO logo on Billy's website, which ONLY gets limited hits and they are from the folks he directs there through the OSO forum!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie,

OR...they could cough up all the upfront costs, make all the commitments needed and put in all of their time to set up their own race series.....then and only then will they understand what it takes to do something like this.

I have put on a yearly event (not a race) with 100+ vehicles and hundreds of people, for the last 14 years..on MY dime...trust me, it's not so easy OR CHEAP. Couldn't even begin to imagine the logistics and costs involved with something like this.

KUDOS to ALL involved!!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Charlie,

OR...they could cough up all the upfront costs, make all the commitments needed and put in all of their time to set up their own race series.....then and only then will they understand what it takes to do something like this.

I have put on a yearly event (not a race) with 100+ vehicles and hundreds of people, for the last 14 years..on MY dime...trust me, it's not so easy OR CHEAP. Couldn't even begin to imagine the logistics and costs involved with something like this.

KUDOS to ALL involved!!
Thank you, we've wasted enough time with the kiddies.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

How many boats are entered, paid and ready to go?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks
this is a disaster of a response...did you just copy and paste "There is a lot more involved" wherever you felt it was neccesary? yikes...i bet there is a lot more involved. haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.