Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th >

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
How many boats are entered, paid and ready to go?
lets see if it takes 3 pages of pissing and moaning to get your question answered....good luck hahaa
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These two pics sort of sum up this thread, at least for me...but I prefer the second pic and hope we can get this thread back closer to it.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

2fast9tech2

I wiped out my first response to all this but have something to say now.

I agree with you that for $1,000 it doesn't seem like you get to much if you're the one racing. I've both raced and fished big tournaments for years and the show is what it is all about and Charlie's race doesn't have any of it now - period!

When I fished the Big Rock all the entry fees came to over $10,000 (now $18k) plus side calcutta bets of almost another $10,000, we go through 300-500 gals a day fuel, two stay on the boat but we rent a 2 condos for the week for 4 familes, and it just goes up and up to over $40k for the week - and I never ever got a trophy at that stinking tournment - that pisses me off LOL

I can tell you, the food, the party, the events every night are top shelf, really great like Priates Cove or South Jersey.

I think racing should be like that (it was some of that years ago), but until the handful of racers decide then want to add another $10k for each race how can we get there?

Please, Charlie has allot of passion, I met him a couple times years ago, he is a sincere guy and he is trying to do something that unfortunatly many people don't seem to want to do and that is offshore racing back in open waters.

Even at double or triple the entry fee Charlie could not pay all the costs (cost being peoples time as well) and he begs for people to help him so the costs are down. That in my mind is wrong, the fees and or sponsor dollars should be enough that not only are costs covered but Charlie get money for all his time.

I don't have the answers but very much like you these events are disappointing, so please you were driving at something from question number 1 you asked, instead of mocking now, how about try and help him work on putting on an event that is higher caliber, maybe you have some good thoughts for him? Charlie is probably a terriable race promoter but he has a great venue for the right racers and sponsors but he needs help to reach/bring them.

Me, if I could afford the time, which is money I would help him bring back what he is trying to do but I can't so all I can do is write something like this to put maybe a different spin on his event then you are trying to right now.

"Habana Joe" Gere

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 09-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
These two pics sort of sum up this thread, at least for me...but I prefer the second pic.]
Notice whose boat is out front in the second picture.

I believe it was out front at the end of the race also.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
These two pics sort of sum up this thread, at least for me...but I prefer the second pic and hope we can get this thread back closer to it.
hahaha clever...i like this one better (it doesn't require any quotes)

Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this seems like a great way for some locals to show their stuff ..lots a guys buzzing around the bays of LI in boats made for ocean now is the time to man up....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
2fast9tech2

I wiped out my first response to all this but have something to say now.

I agree with you that for $1,000 it doesn't seem like you get to much if you're the one racing. I've both raced and fished big tournaments for years and the show is what it is all about and Charlie's race doesn't have any of it now - period!

When I fished the Big Rock all the entry fees came to over $10,000 (now $18k) plus side calcutta bets of almost another $10,000, we go through 300-500 gals a day fuel, two stay on the boat but we rent a 2 condos for the week for 4 familes, and it just goes up and up to over $40k for the week - and I never ever got a trophy at that stinking tournment - that pisses me off LOL

I can tell you, the food, the party, the events every night are top shelf, really great like Priates Cove or South Jersey.

I think racing should be like that (it was some of that years ago), but until the handful of racers decide then want to add another $10k for each race how can we get there?

Please, Charlie has allot of passion, I met him a couple times years ago, he is a sincere guy and he is trying to do something that unfortunatly many people don't seem to want to do and that is offshore racing back in open waters.

Even at double or triple the entry fee Charlie could not pay all the costs (cost being peoples time as well) and he begs for people to help him so the costs are down. That in my mind is wrong, the fees and or sponsor dollars should be enough that not only are costs covered but Charlie get money for all his time.

I don't have the answers but very much like you these events are disappointing, so please you were driving at something from question number 1 you asked, instead of mocking now, how about try and help him work on putting on an event that is higher caliber, maybe you have some good thoughts for him? Charlie is probably a terriable race promoter but he has a great venue for the right racers and sponsors but he needs help to reach/bring them.

Me, if I could afford the time, which is money I would help him bring back what he is trying to do but I can't so all I can do is write something like this to put maybe a different spin on his event then you are trying to right now.

"Habana Joe" Gere
great post.

i was never here to go back and forth with people. i was here to ask a general question (for which was taken personally). not sure why. if i put on an event, i would want as much interest and criticism as possible (p.s. we are taking opinions and ideas here:http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-oct-15-a.html for an event we are putting on).

instead i got: quotes, pictures, told i wasnt a player/racer, etc...i digress.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you, these guys have passion and to me this is racing I would enjoy, I hope they can grow this into something like it used to be, this sport needs re-building, it is in rough shape now for many reasons and needs some more creative minds than it has had or else it would not be where it is today?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Thank you, these guys have passion and to me this is racing I would enjoy, I hope they can grow this into something like it used to be, this sport needs re-building, it is in rough shape now for many reasons and needs some more creative minds than it has had or else it would not be where it is today?

Well said!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1K is cheap for something that is priceless.

im sure the race will do fine without the haters.

last years race was anything but a flop. most had a great time is my take on it.

this year will be even better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.