Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck to all of you that enter!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
To the (2) individuals who came to this thread to antagonize, and to give the ridiculous impression that the only reason they are not entering, is because they dont get food with the entry fee, Shut up and race, and if you do, I will pay for your dinner afterwards. Does that make you feel better?
No.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

To anybody that thinks this race lacks value $$.

No one has asked, nor have you offered.

What would a race like this be worth, or should I say what would you be willing to pay $$ to participate?

This is a race that holds bragging rights weather you finish first or last, so it has to be worth something to you?

MD
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63

What would a race like this be worth, or should I say what would you be willing to pay $$ to participate?

This is a race that holds bragging rights weather you finish first or last, so it has to be worth something to you?

MD
good question.

personally...i would like to see: pre-entry $400 and late entry $600. for a person in my situation, the additional funds would go towards fuel, oil changes (motor/drive), drive showers, hotel, etc...this is much more enticing than the current setup. just my opinion.

p.s. see how i answer the questions when asked unlike others that piss and moan...criticism can be constructive.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

I'd say $1000 is fine but make it truly an EVENT, show a worthwhile return on the cost. Have a bar sponsor the parties, have a host manufacturer or marina, dealership/car club, etc etc bring out some fancy wears - basically follow Bimini's lead. Oh and create some buzz! Easy to do these days with these forums, Facebook, etc

From what I can see the old school offshore was just as much about the excitment off the course as it was on!

Otherwise keep it how it is, enjoy the local boats that come out to race and be happy.

If you build it they will come....
Old 09-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
I'd say $1000 is fine but make it truly an EVENT, show a worthwhile return on the cost.
so where are all the peeps that put up the money last year to complain?

anybody there will tell you it was an event to be sure!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wanab
so where are all the peeps that put up the money last year to complain?

anybody there will tell you it was an event to be sure!
why cant you just take some constructive criticism? honestly. no one has said the event sucks. actually, many of us think its a great event (including me). take the participants wants/needs into consideration. i think thats all we want. instead everyone bickers back and forth. it actually drives potential entrants further away. i know it has with me.

and if there are pre-race festivities...explain them. none of us have attended. instead of describing the happenings of the event, you have gone into defense/attack mode. it does no one any good.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
why cant you just take some constructive criticism? honestly. no one has said the event sucks. actually, many of us think its a great event (including me). take the participants wants/needs into consideration. i think thats all we want. instead everyone bickers back and forth. it actually drives potential entrants further away. i know it has with me.

and if there are pre-race festivities...explain them. none of us have attended. instead of describing the happenings of the event, you have gone into defense/attack mode. it does no one any good.
Dude that's easier to say than do.

Imagine if you organized something, picked a price u thought was reasonable and people raped and pillaged your event verbally.
You'd go into defense / attack too.
I know I would.

I also see your trying to help better the event by suggesting things to make it more attractive to racers on the fence about participating......

But at the end of the day....you, i, nobody has a say other than the organizers.

I know I dont call to order a prop that's $600_$1000+++ and say that's b.s. it's only $50 worth of stock. because ....Ive got no idea how long it takes to make the prop and what's involved to make it. Same as I have no idea what goes into organizing a race. So ....... U get my point.

Boating isn't cheap period...

they are trying to make something happen here. Is it good for the sport? (yes) could it be better? (possibly) are they getting rich off it? (no)
Time is $ so I guess thats how the price was selected at a $ g along with a host of variables $$$ that may factor into price.

u, i, nobody knows how to price unless u organize it.

If you dont like the price and dont wanna participate in the race, go rip around the island another day for free

MD

Last edited by scarab63; 09-16-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
Guess you should have posted instead of PMing me....

I only asked since last year we were told a dozen boats were signed up... When it was only 6.... 4 showed and 1 finished....

In the past, 1970 - 80's, how many would be in the "race" around long island?

This is a VERY hard race for a spectator to enjoy, you see a boat for 30 seconds pass and that is it....

Again congrats to the "Sonic That Could", I don't want to take way his thunder of finishing last year!

i would suggest viewing the start from a boat. there will be an 8AM start and an 8:30 start. other good vantage points have been stated. if you hang all day you can even go back and greet them @ the finish.

GPS/speed tracking can be done via web or iphone, ect...

race HQ is a great place to hang out and watch via large screen GPS , old racing vids, ect...

great to hang out and meet other boaters/fans and other boating legends during the race.

come on out and have some fun!

Last edited by wanab; 09-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wanab
i would suggest viewing the start from a boat. there will be an 8AM start and an 8:30 start. other good vantage points have been stated. if you hang all day you can even go back and greet them @ the finish.

GPS/speed tracking can be done via web or iphone, ect...

race HQ is a great place to hang out and watch via large screen GPS , old racing vids, ect...

great to hang out and meet other boaters/fans and other boating legends during the race.

come on out and have some fun!

I have been on Manhasset Bay for years and years, and I'll start by saying that it is one of the nicest bays to boat on. There are a few marinas, 2 yacht clubs and a few places to dock and dine....with LaMotta's (who are hosting this event).
Although it does take at least 20 mins to get out past the No Wake zone, the cruise in and out of the bay is nice.

As stated, yes, you guys can watch the start of the race which is just off of Barkers point.

Charlie McCarthy will have the 32' Cary raceboat on display that they will be transforming (this winter?) to look like Don Aronow's original race boat "The Cigarette"...

For all you fans of the "little" boats, a 13' Mini Hawk will also be on display. It has the same colors as "The Cigarette", but without the decals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.