Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th >

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don Aronow Memorial Race - A Brit Fan

It can't be easy trying to reboot a form of Offshore Powerboat Racing that has long since gone from the US calendar, moreover in one of the most difficult economic climates that most of us have experienced (either side of the pond).

UK Marathon or "Old School" Offshore Racing was re started here in 2008 with the Round Britain race with over 40 competitors, since then 4 Cowes Torquay Cowes races have been run, and a number of other Marathon Events including the Needles Trophy.

Over the last couple of years, the 100 plus mile races have seen big seas and high winds, with damage to bodies, boats and wallets - However the sense of achievement experienced by the competitors, has in the main made them wanting to come back for more!

I flew over to New York last year to see amongst other things the Don Aronow Memorial Race, (there was a fellow Brit to support in a brand new Outerlimits). Sure I was disappointed with so few entries, but hey it was the first year back for the race!

Guy La Motta's facilities with craning, car parking, restaurant and a couple of bars made for an excellent venue.

The Tracking System worked extremely well, and the final film of the Event produced some weeks later was very professional and reminded me of the memories of who I had met over there, including the eventual winners Joe, the Tom Cruise look alike Navigator and Charlie.

To Billy and Charlie - I wish you the best for next weekend - Put up an intended entry list!

There is interest from afar too!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Doubtful, I have heard that people who repeat the same thing over and over often lack in navigation skills.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBRCrY74knw
LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Default Offshore Racing

Perhaps to whet some appetites for Offshore Racing as is in 2011, and hopefully to get some more competitors out for next weekend, here is a small video of last months Cowes Torquay Cowes Race.

Using US, British and Italian hulls, the competitors raced over 165 NM in winds blowing up to a 6.

The winner, Markus Hendricks from Germany in Cinzano averaged 65.26 mph.

http://vimeo.com/28408999
Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciao!
Perhaps to whet some appetites for Offshore Racing as is in 2011, and hopefully to get some more competitors out for next weekend, here is a small video of last months Cowes Torquay Cowes Race.

Using US, British and Italian hulls, the competitors raced over 165 NM in winds blowing up to a 6.

The Pantera 41 came in second,it looked real good.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
The Pantera 41 came in second,it looked real good.
The British designed and built Cougar RIB (B25) driven by Steve Curtis looked okay too - Not sure where we have heard Cougar or Curtis mentioned on this Forum before!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bas azz video!!!

:37 - that is an awesome boat!!!

2:29 - One would think they would have secured the rope!!

2:39 - another sweet ride sort of like the one seen at :37, racin' rib!

2:39 - Apache??

Good luck Charlie and those racing in this event!!

Catastrophe, good analogy about the band.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
See Bill.........stuff like that post is interesting.....now lets say we all knew there was a couple of short boats going...there would be a bunch of back and forth chatter.
Likewise if some cats were attending. Good stuff.

But if no one knows who or what is going then there is no good chatter.

" HEY FOLKS WE ARE HAVIN A ROCK CONCERT NEXT WEEK"

" great , who is playing ? "

" NOT TELLIN YA "

????????????????????????????????????
excellent post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wanab
nothing at all but what is wrong with asking 5 times and for what purpose?
dude you sound like a broken record, what boat do you own and what class are you running. I understand the fee, been there wish we were ready for next week but going out for a test run doesn't give me time to dial in the boat. after looking at my X dim, I laughed and said I hope we get on plane for a test run wens or thurs.I was hoping for more logistics this year with where gas is 93 or 100. I think there needs to be more info on the race, then more people will come.I hope theres enough boats to race to get more out there next year. I never saw a 600 fee ,I just looked at the threads here. but if someone asks about a boat count it should be listed without getting lip service from you. me I thought I was going to be ready back in june we have maybe 5 to 8 hours before starting it up then get the bugs out so its to close for me but I hope it runs well the race. but more info is needed like the race down south its only 120 mile one lap. good luck Charlie and Bill.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really considering this, and talked to a couple guys who were gonna pitch in, but I think I am gonna watch like everyone else. Don't want to break something before Key West.

Maybe next year.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OK. That pretty much settles it. I'm moving to Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.