Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Quick LOTO Vid of my 6 cylinder turbo Daytona.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262229-quick-loto-vid-my-6-cylinder-turbo-daytona.html)

psi 09-13-2011 10:04 AM

Quick LOTO Vid of my 6 cylinder turbo Daytona....

Just made a quick little video of my 08 Eliminator Daytona 25 with the inline 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo engine getting ready to run on sunday....Wow what A great event LOTO was and met tons of great people...For all who missed it, hopefully next year everyone can get out there...and the My hats off to the MY WAY team for putting on one hell of a show!!! Also wanted to Thank Naples Images for there great shots!!

Thanks,
Brendan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJlCSjEr-ls

Jay Gadsby 09-13-2011 10:16 AM

Very nice! What engine specifically is that? Almost looked Toyota-ish. Good run!

BgBoost1 09-13-2011 11:11 AM

That was an impressive run. 2JZ - GTE Engine. It is nice to see more E85 powered boats!

Congrats and keep us updated!!!

cougarman 09-13-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by psi (Post 3502335)
Just made a quick little video of my 08 Eliminator Daytona 25 with the inline 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo engine getting ready to run on sunday....Wow what A great event LOTO was and met tons of great people...For all who missed it, hopefully next year everyone can get out there...and the My hats off to the MY WAY team for putting on one hell of a show!!! Also wanted to Thank Naples Images for there great shots!!

Thanks,
Brendan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJlCSjEr-ls

Nice vid,.............how did ya damage the blades ?

Thanks
Jon

triple 300s 09-13-2011 12:10 PM

I would guess the blades melted possibly?

What size turbo was that? What size is the new one?

fireguy 09-13-2011 12:22 PM

Very nice indeed!

Crossett 09-13-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3502341)
What engine specifically is that?

As said 2JZGTE

93-98 Toyota Supra turbo

Jay Gadsby 09-13-2011 01:10 PM

Thats what I thought ;) Nice to see some import lovin'. Now to see a VR38DETT in something like that .

psi 09-13-2011 03:09 PM

Hey Guys...thanks for the great comments and questions...for starters yes it is a Toyota 2J engine on E85. The turbo was damaged saturday afternoon heading back to the house after the event was over...I was actually gonna make a run on saturday roughly about 4pm but then the Mary Mac MTI engine problem and fire had happened, so they shut down the course...

1 of the biggest issues has been sizing the right turbo to make enough power on the top end but not sacrifice low end and getting on plane issues and performance...so with that said a issue ive been trying to deal with is compressor surge...

Basically means from the load the water creates on the boat and engine at low rpm (after im on plane) is so much that the minute you hit the throttle, roughly at about 3500rpm, the engine will see maximum boost. In which case the engine cant consume the amount of air the turbo is pushing, thus creating compressor surge. When compressor surge happens the air that the compressor or front section of the turbo is creating (positive boost) is trying to enter the engine, since the engine isnt really efficient at 3500 rpm or cannot consume all the boost it is actually forced back out the front of the turbo which puts enormous stress on the compressor wheel.

Well saturday afternoon after the shootout and the course was closed, we were returning home and noticed that another fellow Eliminator wanted to mess around. Well After not being able to race I gotta admit I was pumped up and didnt really want to race cause I wanted to save it for sunday, well that didnt happen... When we proceeded to see what we both had for each other I had turned up the boost the most I ever had (roughly 38PSI) yea you read that right and the compressor surge was smthing I never heard before and in that instant 4 of the 6 main compressor blades got damaged. Chipped pieces right off the exducer tips of the compressor wheel, ill post pics later of the compressor wheel....with that happening we still ran on sunday....i didnt drive from Miami to be a spectator and just hoped the turbo would live for 1 good pass, which it did....

Im overally excited to repair the turbo and see what it can do with the right boost and prop, on that run the engine turned roughly about 8100rpm and felt great....ill keep everyone posted as soon as its back together...

Thanks,
Brendan

Twin O/B Sonic 09-13-2011 03:55 PM

Nicely done! Gotta love a guy that thinks outside the box, tows across the country, hurts the motor before his run and still throws down and pops off a 118!
Awesome stuff right there.