Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does this sound like a scam??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262318-does-sound-like-scam.html)

huskyrider 09-14-2011 05:14 PM

Does this sound like a scam???

Well I'm selling a SeaRay twin cabin cruiser on Craigslist and have interacted with this potential buyer by email only.
He hasn't asked to see the unit in person or to have a 3rd party come by to view it and take the courtesy seatrial I offered in my listing.
Bear in mind I've never bought off of E-Bay and have no Pay Pal account. I've heard good and bad things about the service, but would be willing to set up an account if necessary. However, I'd hate to do it and then after the boat gets picked up have the buyer call and renig and the coin deducted from my account. Or maybe I open a new bank account and once the money is credited remove it or transfer to another account.
I'm not sure what a Hydrogapher is but thinking maybe he's on a ship???

This is his response to me.

Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price, I need you to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that I have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world,he would be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through paypal, If this is acceptable, advice soon as I am an hydrographer and I am buying this for my son,I am at work right now .I can only pay through pay pal at the moment as I do not have access to my bank account online,but I have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why I insisted on using pay pal to pay,all I will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you do not have a pay pal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. I want you to provide me with the following information for me to proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Your Full Contact address:

Note: i'll also include the Shipping company's fee
so kindly Get back to me with your PayPal email account so i can
proceed with the payment asap..
Thanks

Thanks for any and all insight you may have to offer.
You guys and girls are always the best source of quality info I've found.

See ya,
Kelly

stangkilr 09-14-2011 05:19 PM

Yes.

triple 300s 09-14-2011 05:22 PM

Run....away...

gsxr1216 09-14-2011 05:24 PM

SCAM.

"favorite buyer"???

how many people do you know who have "shippers that take care shipping anywhere in the world for them" but yet cant access their bank account to get CASH to buy stuff

if the guy is really a serious buyer (no effin way) tell him you ONLY take cash only at time of pickup.

GO4BROKE 09-14-2011 06:15 PM

Scam.

CrownHawg 09-14-2011 06:15 PM

SSSSSCCCCCAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!! I had the exact SAME response to a CL listing I had several months ago for my Crownline. ANYONE who does not want to come and look a it personally is more than likely a scammer. These scum bags look for items that have been listed for a little while knowing the seller may be over motivated to sell. RUN.

Fenderjack 09-14-2011 06:24 PM

Scam

It's a SCAM

rw40426 09-14-2011 06:28 PM

SCAM... On a good note, I sold my old boat on ebay to a guy in Greenland. He contacted me by phone and wired the money to my bank and then the bank transfered it to my account, so be never had my account number but the banks acc. number. He only saw pics and I dropped it off at the port to be shipped by sea. I felt iffy the whole time but it was legit.

Catastrophe 09-14-2011 06:34 PM

Scam 100%

88242LS 09-14-2011 06:39 PM

If its sounds like a scam it is, it never ceases to amaze me how much thought they put into it to write that

jasonmd2 09-14-2011 06:45 PM

SCAM 110%...like others have said...run away!

US1 Fountain 09-14-2011 06:54 PM

Are you seriously asking, or just wanting to tell us about it?

JTeam 09-14-2011 07:03 PM

When I sold my last boat, I thought for sure I was being scammed, but the guy send me 3 cashiers checks which cleared instantly. He never looked at the boat or sent anyone to check me out. I would let him put the money in the PayPal account, withdraw it and hold the title and the boat till you move the money somewhere else. That's what I did and it worked out.

Catastrophe 09-14-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 88242LS (Post 3503632)
If its sounds like a scam it is, it never ceases to amaze me how much thought they put into it to write that

Effort is right. They all took Creative Writing Class
Good Day,

Greetings to you and your family, let me start by introducing myself. I am Mr. David Later a representative of the Federal Bureau Of Investigation (fbi) Currently in Nigeria to fight against internet frauds. I was assigned by the (FBI) Director Mr Robert Mueller, to come to Nigeria and help scam victims,and people who are yet to receive their winnings receive it without been scam.

Your name appear as one of those people who are yet to receive their funds. Please note, i will advice you to stop dealings with those people who are contacting you telling you that your funds are in their possesion,because they are not who they say they are. Your funds worth the sum of $15 Million us dollars is in our custody and I will assist you in getting it, the same way I assisted Mr Tom Smith.

Therefore I want to inform you that you are require to make a payment of $390 usd for the paper work . Also be inform that your funds will be transfer into your local bank account as soon as you make the payment, So if you are ready to make the payment I want you to get back to me with the below information.

Full Names:
Address:
Zip Code:
Telephone Number:

As soon as the above details have been confirmed by me, I will give you instructions on how to make the payment of $390 usd for the paper works and legal documentation. As soon as the payment is made, I will get the documents done then the bank will contact you, and they will give you a login into their website, so you can transfer your money into your account without delay.

Important Notice; Do not respond to any emails apart from myself, and forward all further emails you get from those scammers to me, so I can work with the local police, the FBI and Interpol to bring them down. They are imposters, and their fraudulent activities is bringing a bad name to this country, denting the image of honest people like us, that’s why we have to bring them down.

Note: I have attach my (FBI) identification card to you, for you to know that i am the real person for you to contact.

I await to hear from you today, on behalf of the members and staff of the MARVIN COMPENSATION HOUSE Award Authorities, And the FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION ( FBI) I say Congratulations once more.

Yours in Service,
Mr. David Later.
( F B I )representative
(Compensation Officer).

STUPID PHUCK is more like it.

GLH 09-14-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by huskyrider (Post 3503568)
Does this sound like a scam???

yup

mcraymond3 09-14-2011 07:29 PM

Scam!!!!!

Dkahnjob 09-14-2011 11:59 PM

That is a common scam. Don't even bother to answer him.
Don't give him any info at all.
Run the other direction as fast and far as possible!

pqjack 09-15-2011 05:40 AM

you will also notice they never mention the boat/car by brand name or model...happened to me when i sold my vette.....i am very interested in your VEHICLE.....thats all they say

PARADOX 09-15-2011 07:13 AM

SCAM.. I got as bunch of those type of E-mails too. RUn like hell.

jayboat 09-15-2011 08:10 AM

Looking for another newbie aol user

Originally Posted by pqjack (Post 3503939)
you will also notice they never mention the boat/car by brand name or model...happened to me when i sold my vette.....i am very interested in your VEHICLE.....thats all they say

Yep. String him along for an email or two and talk of the item will completely cease. His secretary or 'agent' will accidentally make the check out for more than the price and the focus will shift to instructions on how to return the overage amount with a small 'deduction' for your troubles.

I played along with one last year on a lens I was trying to sell. Took it to the point of actually receiving the check, which looked real enough to fool most people, but there were some obvious signs of fakery.

the entire premise is based on 'greed makes people blind'.

isellpower 09-15-2011 08:25 AM

If they don't try to beat you up on price, for a boat no less, it is a scam.

huskyrider 09-15-2011 12:00 PM

Yeah it kind of felt to good to be true.

I sent him an E-mail back thanking him for his interest in closing the deal and that I, unfortunately, don't have a Paypal account.
I offered him the choice of 500 down on a wire transfer to await the surveyor of his choice or a wire transfer of the purchase price in full if he chooses not to have a survey and seatrial.

I guess we'll see what his response will be, LOL!!!

See ya,
Kelly