Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos) >

RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos)

Notices

RIP Sonic (Warning ugly photos)

Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hope the outcome is ok, that sucks, not sure I could ever let anyone tow my new toy home
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrash
I don't think an attempt by an insurance company to decline based on tow vehicle would stand up in court. There are no legal nor industry standards of any kind that represent the towing capability of a vehicle. The companies (GM, Ford, Toyota, ...) make up whatever they want to make up. Its totally arbitrary. Refusing a claim on arbitrary grounds will not work.

For example, in Europe, the VW Tiguan is rated to tow 5500 lbs, but here the exact same vehicle is rated at only 3500 lbs. Worse: every truck vendor here in the US has been jacking up their tow ratings even when the trucks have stayed the same. Its just a marketing label.
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but you can scratch it off the list as one being accurate.

The auto manufacturers do extensive towing testing for all vehicles with a tow rating. The tow ratings are anything but arbitrary. They are based on frame capacity, axle capacity and cooling, tire capacity, brake capacity, suspension capacity and damping, engine cooling, transmission capacity and cooling, and a series of track and "on the road" trailer towing tests, including hot weather and grade performance.

Michael
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but you can scratch it off the list as one being accurate.

The auto manufacturers do extensive towing testing for all vehicles with a tow rating. The tow ratings are anything but arbitrary. They are based on frame capacity, axle capacity and cooling, tire capacity, brake capacity, suspension capacity and damping, engine cooling, transmission capacity and cooling, and a series of track and "on the road" trailer towing tests, including hot weather and grade performance.

Michael
The OEM's test and do this, but it is arbitrary what their acceptable limits are (and the safety factor may just decrease based on what a competitor does.....). Each one has different levels of acceptance.

However, in a couple years there will be SAE testing that will be as you describe.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
No one is claiming the truck is at fault. the undersized truck represents an "out" for the insurance company in some arguments.

My question is, does the sale state FOB Shipping Point or FOB Destination?

Jimminy Christmas. Try spell check

Thanks

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc

Last edited by vagrant; 09-16-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance company called today, big suprise boat will be totalled. Good news is I get my purchase money back. The boat will be auctioned off. I will let the board know about the auction, motors, trannys and drives should be good. I am going to visit the wreck to get a few things off the boat and will get a better look at the running gear,
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! Glad to hear this tragedy had a good outcome.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenncal1
Insurance company called today, big suprise boat will be totalled. Good news is I get my purchase money back. The boat will be auctioned off. I will let the board know about the auction, motors, trannys and drives should be good. I am going to visit the wreck to get a few things off the boat and will get a better look at the running gear,
Great news,look at the bright side you are probably the only one on this site that ever purchased a boat and did not lose money.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad to hear.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by glenncal1
Who's insurance?????
Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Why take a chance with a light light vehicle?
Bingo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.