Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262387-lake-ozarks-shootout-pushing-better-top-speed-accuracy-2012-a.html)

Matt Trulio 09-15-2011 05:26 PM

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Hats off to Ron Duggan and the rest of the Shootout crew, who always seem to be trying to make it better, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...y-in-2012.html.

Racerngr1 09-15-2011 11:51 PM

Has there been any talk of making the shootout any longer (maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles)?

Matt Trulio 09-16-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Racerngr1 (Post 3504656)
Has there been any talk of making the shootout any longer (maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles)?

From the people I've spoken with, I don't think there's a whole lot of interest in making the course longer. They fastest boats are already running more than 200 mph and there are plenty running 150-plus.

There may well be participants who would like a longer course. That's just something I've never heard from the people who are already running really, really fast.

salesmanship 09-16-2011 08:44 AM

I've always suggested they use a timing light trap like the drag boat race courses.

Knot 4 Me 09-16-2011 09:47 AM

I was hoping they would ditch the radar altogether and go with timing traps.

88Fount33 09-16-2011 10:16 AM

Radar = Fail

Matt Trulio 09-16-2011 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 88Fount33 (Post 3504890)
Radar = Fail

With all due respect, I think "fail" is a little strong. As John Tomlinson said in the article, he saw no discrepancies this year between radar and in-boat GPS in a boat that ran in the 160-mph range. My experience with radar as compared to GPS numbers in many years of testing with Powerboat magazine is that usually they were very close.

The problem at the Shootout seems to occur, or has been reported most, is with boats that run 200-plus mph. To be sure, there aren't many of them but they are the "marquee" boats and, to organizers' credit, they want to get it right.

Timing lights, as Terry mentioned, would be the most accurate way to measure top speed. I have no idea what the costs or set-up challenges for that kind of system would be.

salesmanship 09-16-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3504907)
With all due respect, I think "fail" is a little strong. As John Tomlinson said in the article, he saw no discrepancies this year between radar and in-boat GPS in a boat that ran in the 160-mph range. My experience with radar as compared to GPS numbers in many years of testing with Powerboat magazine is that usually they were very close.

The problem at the Shootout seems to occur, or has been reported most, is with boats that run 200-plus mph. To be sure, there aren't many of them but they are the "marquee" boats and, to organizers' credit, they want to get it right.

Timing lights, as Terry mentioned, would be the most accurate way to measure top speed. I have no idea what the costs or set-up challenges for that kind of system would be.

Have them contact the St. Louis Drag Boat Assoc.
I'm sure they could get it set up.

Having Radar in the boat works fine because you can point it straight ahead and the readings are accurate.
The problems with the radar at the Shoot Out are:
With the gun positioned overhead on a boom pointing down on the boat you're already skewed. If the boat doesn't line up directly with the gun it's going to be off. If the boat doesn't have enough mass/ reflectivity it's going to be off. Most of the boats are still gaining speed just as they go under the boom but the gun has already clocked you well in front of it.

There's my take on it.

Knot 4 Me 09-16-2011 12:39 PM

Inaccuracy is one thing but registering no speed is inexcusable. Too much at risk when these boats run to say, "Oops! Can you try that again?"

endeavor1 09-16-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3504980)
Have them contact the St. Louis Drag Boat Assoc.
I'm sure they could get it set up.

Having Radar in the boat works fine because you can point it straight ahead and the readings are accurate.
The problems with the radar at the Shoot Out are:
With the gun positioned overhead on a boom pointing down on the boat you're already skewed. If the boat doesn't line up directly with the gun it's going to be off. If the boat doesn't have enough mass/ reflectivity it's going to be off. Most of the boats are still gaining speed just as they go under the boom but the gun has already clocked you well in front of it.

There's my take on it.

Well said!!!